Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

Thanks for this heads up Naomi M - I certainly hadn't seen it coming. I'm assuming this is the 2015 Gala with our Melissa dancing the Manon Act 1, Scene 2 pas de deux with Claudio Coviello and have been looking for reviews with little success. I can't remember any comment on the forum - can I ask please if anyone was there or has any advice to offer? Would it be a worthwhile buy? 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this heads up Naomi M - I certainly hadn't seen it coming. I'm assuming this is the 2015 Gala with our Melissa dancing the Manon Act 1, Scene 2 pas de deux with Claudio Coviello and have been looking for reviews with little success. I can't remember any comment on the forum - can I ask please if anyone was there or has any advice to offer? Would it be a worthwhile buy? 

In my opinion, no.

I think Manon pdd was particularly bad (but not the worst), in a modest gala overall. I think there are some clips of the gala on youtube: maybe you can try to check there if it's the case to buy it for your collection.

• Like 1

In my opinion, no. I think Manon pdd was particularly bad (but not the worst), in a modest gala overall. I think there are some clips of the gala on youtube: maybe you can try to check there if it's the case to buy it for your collection.

Thank you annamicro - that's very helpful. I shall certainly take your advice and give this one a miss.  Both I (and my wallet) are much indebted to you.

Edited by David

Amazon prices for ballet and opera are rising sharply, can't believe the ROH is the best option for The Two Pigeons, does anyone know if Friends get 10% off everything in the shop now?

Amazon have just listed their blu-ray price for Two Pigeons - £38.36 compared with the ROH price of £29.99!!!!

Edited by David
  • Like 1

Have they redone the 2013 Ashton Celebration? The listing for this package one gives different casts for Thais and Voices of Spring.

I suspect this is a mistake on the website - I went to see this at Clapham Picturehouse not long before the DVD came out (several months after it had been filmed) and I remember the cast sheets supplied at the cinema gave the wrong casting for Meditation and Voices of Spring, so it looks like the same error.

Amazon have just listed their blu-ray price for Two Pigeons - £38.36 compared with the ROH price of £29.99!!!!

They seem to do this quite often with Opus Arte releases.  Way ahead of release the blu ray will be nearly £40 then it corrects to £29.99 and then you start getting real discounts.  It happened with the upcoming release of the ROH Cav & Pag, which has now adjusted to £29.99 and I am sure it will come down further.  Not sure why this happens but I only see it with Opus Arte releases.

Same pricing issue has come up with the Gala des Etoiles blu ray which as of today is showing as available for pre-order.

Edited by barton22
  • Like 1

Amazon prices for The Two Pigeons and the Gala des Etoiles are now £24.99 DVD and £29.99 BluRay, the Royal Ballet box set £145, I might be tempted by the Gala, it includes Roberto Bolle in Prototype, a mini ballet he danced at the Coliseum, and Ivan Vasiliev and Maria Vinogradova in the Spartacus pdd!

Way ahead of release the blu ray will be nearly £40 then it corrects to £29.99 and then you start getting real discounts .... and I am sure it will come down further.  Not sure why this happens but I only see it with Opus Arte releases.

Well you were right about the price reverting to the Opus Arte retail price! So far so good. I think I'll hang on for a while to see if further discounts materialise!

I'm sure I've asked this before but is there a recording of Ashton's Dream out there somewhere?

Linda

Yes.

It is performed by ABT with Alessandra Ferri,Ethan Stiefel, and Herman Cornejo (2005)

Not available on Amazon.co.uk   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Frederick-Ashton-American-Ballet-Theatre/dp/B0006JHRD8

But available from the US:           https://www.amazon.com/Ashton-Stiefel-Alessandra-Cornejo-American/dp/B0001L3LVS

A quick point that may be obvious. If you are not from the US, and want to buy it. Make sure your DVD player/system can play multiple DVD region formats before purchasing.

Edited by Janet McNulty
  • Like 1

I'm sure I've asked this before but is there a recording of Ashton's Dream out there somewhere?

Linda

I'll be very surprised if we don't see a release on DVD/Blu-Ray by Opus Arte after the live cinema relay by the Royal Ballet of Ashton's The Dream/ Symphonic Variations/Marguerite and Armand on 7th June next year. It will be interesting to see who gets to dance the various roles! Will Polunin finally be accepted back into the fold to dance M&A with Osipova? Ironic if so, since my memory is that it was during rehearsals for The Dream that he walked out on the Company! I'm not sure though that I see Osipova as Marguerite? And I'm certainly looking to see Ms Hayward as Titania during this run though perhaps not in the live relay?

I wasn't moderating on that one SBF but I assume it is because the source of the video could not be validated in terms of copyright.

This reminder was recently issued:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/13310-videos-photos-and-copyright-issues/#entry182356

Thank you for the link, I missed this update. I would, however respectfully ask the moderators to understand  that as I was responding to another members request and aiming to help the forum members, that a message, or acknowledgement, even deleting only the youtube link would have been appreciated.

Even the message that a message was hidden as it may contravene the rules. Especially as the video was added after answering the question.

As a member who regularly posts about videos, and links to live streams to enrich the experience of forum members I will take not of the rule.

Thanks

SBF

Edited by SwissBalletFan

Just noticed several upcoming releases now on Amazon.

- Manon with Aurélie Dupont and Roberto Bolle. DVD link here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K819G8W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_9MaZxbVAW2KKX

- Sleeping Beauty with Iana Salenko and Marian Walter. DVD link here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IAC0P5O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_FRaZxbP53K6JK

Both due to be released on the 14th October.

Just noticed several upcoming releases now on Amazon.

- Manon with Aurélie Dupont and Roberto Bolle. DVD link here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K819G8W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_9MaZxbVAW2KKX

- Sleeping Beauty with Iana Salenko and Marian Walter. DVD link here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IAC0P5O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_FRaZxbP53K6JK

Both due to be released on the 14th October.

Thanks I hadn't spotted these. Life is becoming very expensive! Can anyone offer any advice re these productions/performances please?

.Don't expect the same performance standard and style from POB as the RB in Manon. This was Dupont's farewell performance. IMHO her sophistication meant she was never convincing in this role. If you dig around on YT you might find it.

But can't comment on SB.

• Like 1

.Don't expect the same performance standard and style from POB as the RB in Manon. This was Dupont's farewell performance. IMHO her sophistication meant she was never convincing in this role. If you dig around on YT you might find it.

But can't comment on SB.

Thank you Stucha - that was very helpful. You were right - I have found a full length copy of Dupont's Farewell performance of Manon on You Tube and also a  thoughtful review of that performance by Rachel Mann in Dance Tabs which, taken together with the comment and reading between the lines, bears out your assessment.

So that has saved me some money. Thank you. Haven't found anything yet on the Salenko Sleeping Beauty with her husband.  And I'm still waiting for Amazon to do the decent thing and discount the Opus Arte Rhapsody/Two Pigeons disk!

Yes.

It is performed by ABT with Alessandra Ferri,Ethan Stiefel, and Herman Cornejo (2005)

Not available on Amazon.co.uk   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Frederick-Ashton-American-Ballet-Theatre/dp/B0006JHRD8

But available from the US:           https://www.amazon.com/Ashton-Stiefel-Alessandra-Cornejo-American/dp/B0001L3LVS

A quick point that may be obvious. If you are not from the US, and want to buy it. Make sure your DVD player/system can play multiple DVD region formats before purchasing.

Thank you for the link, I missed this update. I would, however respectfully ask the moderators to understand  that as I was responding to another members request and aiming to help the forum members, that a message, or acknowledgement, even deleting only the youtube link would have been appreciated.

Even the message that a message was hidden as it may contravene the rules. Especially as the video was added after answering the question.

As a member who regularly posts about videos, and links to live streams to enrich the experience of forum members I will take not of the rule.

Thanks

SBF

Hello SBF, I've had a look at the hidden thread and, as you have included very useful information in the post, I have taken the liberty of editing the post so that it does not contravene the AUP and copyright considerations and unhidden it.  I hope that is OK.

Thank you for the information about the recording of The Dream that is available from US Amazon.

• Like 2

Hello SBF, I've had a look at the hidden thread and, as you have included very useful information in the post, I have taken the liberty of editing the post so that it does not contravene the AUP and copyright considerations and unhidden it.  I hope that is OK.

Thank you for the information about the recording of The Dream that is available from US Amazon.

Thank you very much Janet.

I see these are listed on the Presto Classical site in both DVD and blu-ray formats as forthcoming over the next few weeks. I don’t know many of them but mostly they seem to be re-issues so I guess they will be familiar to most. Hopefully the blu-rays at least will be an improvement on earlier releases. The last three have already been mentioned on this thread as available from Amazon:

The Art of Patrice Bart - La Petite Danseuse de Degas

The Art of John Neumeier - Death in Venice

The Art of Patrice Bart - The Nutcracker

The Art of Mats Ek – Giselle

The Art of Hans van Manen - Six Ballets

Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring & The Firebird

The Art of Jiri Kilian - Three Ballets

The Art of Jiri Kilian - Car Men

The Art of Angelin Preljocaj – Siddharta

The Art of Petipa & Gorsky - Don Quichot

The Art of Marius Petipa – Raymonda

O'Regan: MataHari

Edited by David

A question rather than a comment - have there ever been DVD releases of Sylvie Guillem's classical performances, as opposed to her contemporary work?  the only thing I've seen on Amazon is 'Work/Portrait' which seems more of a documentary with snippets of dance.  I never saw her dance, and would love to see something of better quality reproduction than hazy Youtube clips.