Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

There's something odd about this. Soon after it was shown in cinemas, it was on You Tube, together with a Nutcracker which was also in cinemas around the same time. I watched Mayerling and it looked fine to me from a technical point of view. A couple of days later I went back to see Nutcracker and both had disappeared. Altogether strange.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

have just been advised by Amazon that the new Mayerling with McRae is not being issued. No explanation, and it still appears on the ROH web site as being available for pre order. Wonder what's happened?

Friends of Covent Garden have just been sent an email offering them the McRae Mayerling DVD at a discount.  Surely that means it will definitely be issued?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Friends of Covent Garden have just been sent an email offering them the McRae Mayerling DVD at a discount.  Surely that means it will definitely be issued?

yes, just received this, a!though it's shown on the web site as being available to pre - order. Yet another case of his information on the web site!

5 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

There's something odd about this. Soon after it was shown in cinemas, it was on You Tube, together with a Nutcracker which was also in cinemas around the same time. I watched Mayerling and it looked fine to me from a technical point of view. A couple of days later I went back to see Nutcracker and both had disappeared.

I should hope they had.  As far as I know, the ROH isn't in the habit of posting its live relays on YouTube, so anything on there would have been breaching copyright.

Edited by alison

3 hours ago, Anna C said:

How odd!  Maybe they secretly filmed Morera and Bonelli and are releasing that instead.  That could be wishful thinking on my part. 😉

LOL.  Mine too.  *That* one I might have bothered buying :) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

There's something odd about this. Soon after it was shown in cinemas, it was on You Tube, together with a Nutcracker which was also in cinemas around the same time. I watched Mayerling and it looked fine to me from a technical point of view. A couple of days later I went back to see Nutcracker and both had disappeared. Altogether strange.

They also illegally had La Bayadere too .

Amazon haven't told me about it not being issued so that must mean I'm receiving it :D

• Like 1

On 18/07/2019 at 20:09, alison said:

I should hope they had.  As far as I know, the ROH isn't in the habit of posting its live relays on YouTube, so anything on there would have been breaching copyright.

The ROH currently has Carmen on YouTube available to watch until 1st August, so it's possible the ballets were posted officially for a limited time only. 

https://youtu.be/ER0Cj4DP4jo

35 minutes ago, alison said:

Oh, really?  That must be a new approach, then.  I'm certainly not aware that they've done it previously.

The recent big screen showing of Marriage of Figaro is on You Tube, but I think the Mayerling i referred to was not like the usual ROH showing - no introduction, no interval talks, not even cast details. Had every appearance of being a bit under cover, although the actual film quality was fibe.

1 hour ago, ninamargaret said:

The recent big screen showing of Marriage of Figaro is on You Tube, but I think the Mayerling i referred to was not like the usual ROH showing - no introduction, no interval talks, not even cast details. Had every appearance of being a bit under cover, although the actual film quality was fibe.

The person that uploaded Mayerling, Nutcracker and LB had their account closed down by Youtube

• Like 1

Ignore Amazon, they are only distributing the blu-ray at the moment, for reasons best known to themselves. The DVD however is available in warehouses, ready to pre order. Best buy from the UK at the moment is via 'Speedy Hen UK'. They are taking pre-orders for DVD at £23.02 and Blu-ray at £26.49, free postage & packing. I have used them for years,shipped from the UK and much more reliable than Amazon, they actually have a living, communicating, human, customer services department, which is contactable.

I have never used Europadisc, so don't know what they are like. Whenever I have checked them out, I have found their delivery charges to be excessive, up to £2.50 for a DVD. I use Musicmagpie and SpeedyHen, because their delivery charges are free, what you see is what you pay. I see that Europadisc are currently advertising Mayerling at £23.36, plus £2.50 p&p, giving a total of £25.86, as apposed to SpeedyHen at £23.02 all in, for the same product.

• 4 weeks later...

I started to get very over-excited at the mention of Sylvia on the Ashton dvd with visions of Vadim and Marianella Nunez but then realised it will probably be the Darcey Bussell version which I already have. Criminal the recent version wasn't filmed and I'm keeping everything crossed for this to be rectified the season after next.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m told that the Royal Ballet’s La Bayadère should be issued next month - presumably last year’s cinema release with Marianela Nuñez (Nikita), Natalia Osipova (Gamzatti), Vadim Muntagirov (Solor) and Gary Avis (The High Brahmin). Expected but good to have confirmation and in good time for Christmas! Does anyone have any further details please?

Edited by David
  • Like 4

Is watching ballet recorded 'live' from the ROH stage vastly improved by the Blue-ray format?  I assume that DVDs are on the way out and I need to buy  new equipment anyway but I don't find HD makes a major diference so is it worth going to a new format? 

Linda

6 hours ago, loveclassics said:

Is watching ballet recorded 'live' from the ROH stage vastly improved by the Blue-ray format?  I assume that DVDs are on the way out and I need to buy  new equipment anyway but I don't find HD makes a major diference so is it worth going to a new format? 

Linda

Yes, sadly, to the extent I want to replace my DVD collection with Blu-rays.

32 minutes ago, Colman said:

Yes, sadly, to the extent I want to replace my DVD collection with Blu-rays.

In my time I have worked through 7 or 8 different audio and video formats, ofter transferring/re-buying the same material on the new format. Each time, unless one retains the equipment, precious recordings are lost because not all the previous material is re-produced on the new format. Thus I still have several hundred LPs and am amused to see that vinyl has been making something of a comeback - albeit as a niche market. DVDs are still available to purchase at present and I am hanging on to my collection but the reality is that, like videos, the charity shops don't want them and you just can't give them away. A friend took a load to a car boot sale and offered them at 20p each and had no takers.

The real question is not about DVDs but how long blu-rays will remain relevant. A whole new generation has emerged who don't own players of any kind and rely entirely on streaming/downloading. I resolutely refuse to join them but I buy only blu-rays these days and that very selectively, or occasionally stuff on older formats, usually via the likes of eBay, which is unavailable on current formats.  But I am under no illusions. Hopefully blu-ray will see me out but the signs are that it too will become redundant and sooner than one might expect. Streaming is still in its infancy but my tech-wise family tell me it is only a matter of time before we have live performances streamed in holographic form directly into our living rooms. That would put the cat among the ROH's seat pricing pigeons!!! Meantime, I shall be ordering the blu-ray of the RB's promised new Bayadere release and leave the  future to take care of itself.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, David said:

I’m told that the Royal Ballet’s La Bayadère should be issued next month - presumably last year’s cinema release with Marianela Nuñez (Nikita), Natalia Osipova (Gamzatti), Vadim Muntagirov (Solor) and Gary Avis (The High Brahmin). Expected but good to have confirmation and in good time for Christmas! Does anyone have any further details please?

Last week the folks in the ROH shop told me Feb 2020 so I hope you are right.

10 hours ago, loveclassics said:

Linda

I wouldn’t say DVDs are on the way out, the BBC still release some of their products on DVD only and not Blu Ray....it’s quite frustrating to see a programme or series on the telly broadcast in HD but when you go to buy it to own for the future you have to put up with an inferior picture.... a good example being that All Aboard the Sledge thing they’ve shown on BBC4 for the last few years...go in to the shop to own it and it’s only on dvd which doesn’t show enough detail at all

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

Last week the folks in the ROH shop told me Feb 2020 so I hope you are right.

Perhaps I’m being ignorant but why does it take so long for ROH to release a DVD after filming? I understand they will need to format it and pick the ‘best’ angles/bits (although this may already be done it it is a carbon copy of the live stream version) but surely this can be done in a few months, rather than close to or over a year?

On the DVD vs Blu-Ray front, I can see why DVDs are still popular. Blu Ray is better but I question whether I’d really be able to tell the difference on a tv screen. And blu Ray players are more expensive! And as has been mentioned the future is streaming. 

I’d be more than happy to convert to streaming - saving all that space used for dvd cases (which unlike books don’t look particularly aesthetically pleasing) and also meaning everything is accessible anywhere as long as you have a login. You could probably have the option to pay a little extra to ‘upgrade’ your version (eg when a better quality version comes out) which may be appreciated by some. 

As long as something I buy isn’t rendered obsolete by a silly update/upgrade then I think it’s fine (and this can happen manually anyway, at some point a much loved dvd may die, or your DVD player may die and who knows how long they will be sold for). 

Although I don’t see ROH adopting rent/buying performances anytime soon, I will welcome it when it comes as this would also presumably give the option to pay a lesser amount to watch it a certain number of times within a select time period which may be better if you missed the live screening but didn’t quite want to commit/justify purchasing forever. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, JNC said:

Although I don’t see ROH adopting rent/buying performances anytime soon.....

I wonder. Could the sale of Opus Arte to the Naxos Music Group last November be seen as clearing the decks for some such development? Presumably they also can read the writing on the wall. 

8 hours ago, David said:

I wonder. Could the sale of Opus Arte to the Naxos Music Group last November be seen as clearing the decks for some such development? Presumably they also can read the writing on the wall. 

That’s interesting! I think streaming would be great and would actually encourage a younger audience (who move around a lot so don’t want to hoard lots of stuff including dvds, plus cheaper pay per view would be preferable to them I imagine).

The sooner the better in my opinion for streaming options. As long as dvds/blu rays are still produced for those who rely on still use this format. 

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 01:23, loveclassics said:

Linda

HD and Blu-ray gives most benefit on screen sizes 42" and upwards. A Blu-ray player is capable of reading 20 times more data than a DVD player and similarly much more data can be stored on a Blu-ray disc, giving much more cabability for HD picture and sound. On smaller screen sizes, the visual benefits are less pronounced. Blu -ray players are now available quite cheaply and a worthy investment if buying a new machine. They will still play all your old DVD's and in most cases give higher definition than a DVD player, so no need to change your collection.

Of course it can only play as clearly as the original recorded material and some older videos have been transferred to Blu - ray with no noticeable improvement.

The quality of streaming via Internet is quite variable, even with fast fibre and in my opinion , does not come close to Blu -ray quality. Of course it depends what an individual is satisfied with.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, alison said:

Yes, not everyone has superfast broadband on tap.

I have fast fibre, and frankly it is not noticeably any better than the previous Broadband. And my test figures tell me it is fast. So until there are significant  technical adnances to internet streaming, I think the future of DVD and Blu-ray is secure.