Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Two Pigeons said:

P.s., best La Bayadere ever, Asylmuratova, Ruzimatov and Guillem as Gamzatti at the ROH in the early 90s.  Now THAT was ballet.

As we couldn't get near tickets for that I will just remind you that I saw Wolfgang Stollwitzer as Onegin!

Oh yes re La Bayadere - I just couldn't work out the initials.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two Pigeons said:

P.s., best La Bayadere ever, Asylmuratova, Ruzimatov and Guillem as Gamzatti at the ROH in the early 90s.  Now THAT was ballet.

OMG, I wish I had seen that performance! Ruzimatov & Asylmuratova my favourite dancers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Shade said:

I am very excited for Bayadere - is it Nuñez as Nikyia- as that was the one I missed due to illness? 

Yes....although if I was in charge it would be a double performance boxset with Nunez v Osipova and Osipova v Nunez :)

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

As we couldn't get near tickets for that I will just remind you that I saw Wolfgang Stollwitzer as Onegin!

Oh yes re La Bayadere - I just couldn't work out the initials.

Don't go on about it!  LOL.  Remember, you also saw Tyrone Singleton's first Romeo.

Actually, seriously, haven't we both been really lucky over the past few decades?  It seems a bit petty to moan about the stuff we have missed.  Mind you, a bit of pettiness won't stop me seething about one or two omissions.  See you for Hobson's.  Really can't wait but some casting would be nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two Pigeons said:

Don't go on about it!  LOL.  Remember, you also saw Tyrone Singleton's first Romeo.

Actually, seriously, haven't we both been really lucky over the past few decades?  It seems a bit petty to moan about the stuff we have missed.  Mind you, a bit of pettiness won't stop me seething about one or two omissions.  See you for Hobson's.  Really can't wait but some casting would be nice.

Yes, we have been incredibly lucky over the years.

I'm looking forward to seeing you at Hobson's!

• Like 1

On 07/06/2019 at 15:08, HappyTurk said:

Perhaps for the RB but certainly not for the ballet in general (although in terms of the three recordings, Asylmuratova is superior to both Rojo and Nunez combined). 

Asylmuratova did a fantastic job. But overall for the whole ballet, I think last year recording the music is better (or perhaps it is the due to the improved technology). And for me Bayadere is not only dancing but the best story telling ballet music!

And also Gary Avis did a fantastic job last year. The acting was so touching and moving. Nunez and Osipova's acting are also brilliant. 

And for the 1st time I see Ganzatii and Solar's jumping sync so well lol...

• Like 1

On 06/06/2019 at 01:00, HelenLoveAppleJuice said:

It is indicated that following the Swan Lake, last year's LB, nutcracker and the coming Coppelia and Ramonda is going to be released DVD/Blueray.

I am surprised they would be doing the 2018 Nutcracker, as we already have the 2016 version (better, in my view), unless it is down to rising stars O'Sullivan and Sambe being Clara and Hans-Peter.  

Otherwise I am rather disappointed  about the continued fixation with  choosing Nunez/Muntagirov  (much as I like them) for Live Cinema, thus limiting the choice of casts for later disc releases, at the expense of other dancers. 

Personally I am particularly hoping for the 2019 Don Quixote (Takada/Campbell) to be out on DVD/Bluray in due course.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Otherwise I am rather disappointed  about the continued fixation with  choosing Nunez/Muntagirov  (much as I like them) for Live Cinema, thus limiting the choice of casts for later disc releases, at the expense of other dancers. 

I don’t love Nunez in everything - I sometimes feel her great technical assurance (a very good thing) bleeds into her characterisation (not always such a good thing) - but she is super-reliable and I don’t think I’ve ever seen her make a significant mistake. That alone must be a big comfort to all involved in a live relay.  I think we might be in danger of taking her for granted.

The same goes for Muntagirov, though I don’t think he needs me to defend him in these parts!

• Like 2

Is Nunez the only one who has danced Coppelia amongst those who were cast? I'm thinking that's why she was given the relay, although I do think Hayward would have been a fine (better) choice. She is great in these kind of roles. 

Edited by HappyTurk

I'm wallowing in three recently issued and IMHO very fine disks:

1. Ibsen's Ghosts: The Norwegian National Ballet & The Norwegian National Ballet School -

Creation and direction: Marit Moum Aune

Choreography: Cina Espejord

Issued by Bel Air Classiques

2. Ibsen's Hedda Gabler: The Norwegian National Ballet & The Norwegian National Ballet School

Choreography: Marit Moum Aune

Issued by Bel Air Classiques

3. La Fresque (The Painting on the Wall): Ballet Preljocaj. Choreography: Angelin Preljocaj. Issued by Naxos. Comes with an excellent bonus - an explanation by Angelin Prelocaj himself.

All three are available on both DVD and Blu-Ray. I guess these works will be familiar to many on the forum but they have come as an eye-opener to me.

Edited by David
Trying to sort out my amateur pasting!

Thanks for this massive prompt to me. This could be a big opportunity here for me to save money or to do some catching up. Just received the Cranko Stuttgart version on Friday, but haven't watched it yet. Then realised I already have the Cuthbertson/Bonelli version but haven't watched it yet., and the Acosta/Rojo version, not watched  yet. The La Scala Misty Copeland/Bolle version, not watched yet. POB Legris/Loudieres, not watched. Checking further, I have watched my Mariinsky Vishneva/Schkylarov copy and a few of the variants, like Matz Ek and Ballet de Monte Carlo. Just wandering where to start now.

Amazon have a Mayerling DVD and Blu Ray release date of 2nd August, this is the McRae/Lamb cast, I didn't see the cinema relay but thought Steven McRae was wonderful with Akane Takada a short while later after Sarah Lamb was injured, would love to have that performance on disc, but nice to be able to see Sarah Lamb now!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Beryl H said:

Amazon have a Mayerling DVD and Blu Ray release date of 2nd August, this is the McRae/Lamb cast, I didn't see the cinema relay but thought Steven McRae was wonderful with Akane Takada a short while later after Sarah Lamb was injured, would love to have that performance on disc, but nice to be able to see Sarah Lamb now!

I have the 2010 Blu-ray release, also including  Sarah Lamb, but with Ed Watson and Mara Galeazzi, which  was rather good and with excellent resolution. Also the earlier version in which Darcey Bussell makes an appearance. It would be useful if someone knowledgeable and free of commercial interests, could make an appraisal to judge what, if anything, this new release brings to the equation. There would need to be a significant gain before deciding to make this extra cash outlay. I did see this cinema relay, but can't remember if it brought anything new.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alison said:

No cash outlay from me forthcoming, that's for sure.  I do think the ROH are getting a little silly with the frequency of some of their releases.

You don’t have to buy them and so long as the main roles are taken by different people I think it’s great for us to have the choice.

• Like 3

I'm really glad to hear about the new Mayerling release - just as some people enjoy seeing multiple casts in a single run, I'm always keen to have multiple casts on DVD. And it's great to have a record of the season's successful Mayerling run. For my own preference I'd be over the moon if all the cinema broadcasts were released on DVD for future repeat viewings!

Also pleased to hear about Victoria!

• Like 6

12 hours ago, alison said:

No cash outlay from me forthcoming, that's for sure.  I do think the ROH are getting a little silly with the frequency of some of their releases.

Cash outlay is one problem, but there is also a practical problem with what to do with them, if you don't sell them on after watching. I have tended to hold on to them, filing and cataloguing them.  It now extends to 204 ballet DVD & blu-rays with some of them boxed sets and this growing rapidly in trying to keep up with new and repeat releases. It takes up a lot of space, in addition to the Opera, Musicals, Shows and other collections.

I don't believe they can be transferred to memory stick. They can be kept in compact plastic wallets which take up little space, but I have always wanted to keep the cases with art work and booklets. With a choice, I would own everything,  bur space is now dictating whether I have a choice or not.

I was wondering what everyone else does to get around the storage problem ?

Edited by Stevie
typo

42 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

Will there be a DVD for the last Don Quixote cinema showing with Takada and Campbell?

With the release on DVD & Blue Ray of just over five years ago, I wouldn't expect them to release it again so soon. However they are doing some strange things, so who knows.

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

have just been advised by Amazon that the new Mayerling with McRae is not being issued. No explanation, and it still appears on the ROH web site as being available for pre order. Wonder what's happened?

How odd!  Maybe they secretly filmed Morera and Bonelli and are releasing that instead.  That could be wishful thinking on my part. 😉

• Like 1