Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

I can confirm that anyone buying this will not be disappointed. The production, costumes, sets, stunning music and of course the dancing are all as I remember from the Cinema streaming. However I have noted a great deal more from the acting ability in the roles and particularly the lead casting. Vadim has mastered the depth of the role of lovelorn Des Grieux, clearly knowing that he is 'punching above his weight', with a beautiful Manon. Miss Lamb completely identifies with the Character of Manon, from innocence at the beginning to her coquettish best as she gradually develops the role. Not in love, but totally captivated with the idea of love, she imperceptibly changes the mood, scene by scene, through to its dramatic conclusion.

The extras are a worthy addition, with rehearsal of the Courtisan's, just one change of Juhui Choi to the performance and Darcy's interview of Deborah MacMillan.

Can you explain what you mean re Yuhui please?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Rob S said:

17 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Should have read Yuhui Choe. Not used to spelling Korean names, unfortunately. Anyway, she is in the rehearsal extras, but replaced in the performance by Fumi Kaneko. Copied and pasted this time, so hopefully she will forgive me for the typo.

Edited by Stevie

3 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Should have read Yuhui Choe. Not very good with Korean names, unfortunately.

No, what does  'just one change of Yuhui Choe to the performance' mean? 

9 minutes ago, Rob S said:

No, what does  'just one change of Yuhui Choe to the performance' mean? 

She was replaced in the performance by Fumi Kaneko. There may have been an injury or just a sharing of the role, but not sure why. It is Yuhui in the rehearsal extras, with Beatrix Stix Brunell, who does appear in the performance and Darcy interviewing the rehearsal. Hope that clear s it up.

Edited by Stevie
typo

5 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Ahhhhhh bugger 😭

I can feel your deep pain, but I have to say in her favor, that Fumi does a great job and at what may have been short notice. Pretty much as she did when she stepped into the Gypsy role, in The Two Pidgeons. I don't think you will be disappointed when you watch it. 😃

37 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I can feel your deep pain, but I have to say in her favor, that Fumi does a great job and at what may have been short notice. Pretty much as she did when she stepped into the Gypsy role, in The Two Pidgeons. I don't think you will be disappointed when you watch it. 😃

I'm sure Fumi is great but I was hoping Yuhui was a courtesan as that's what she was on my first trip to the ROH last year, would've been nice to have in blu ray form

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

I'm sure Fumi is great but I was hoping Yuhui was a courtesan as that's what she was on my first trip to the ROH last year, would've been nice to have in blu ray form

Then you will definitely enjoy the interview extra with Yuhui. She is great fun, looks so cheeky and always so upbeat and happy. Kicking her partner up the but, and poor Beatrix being told off for expecting it coming. I suppose that after the ROH have missed so many opportunities to bring out this masterpiece on blu-ray, we should be pleased that they have at last presented us with it.

10 hours ago, Stevie said:

Then you will definitely enjoy the interview extra with Yuhui. She is great fun, looks so cheeky and always so upbeat and happy. Kicking her partner up the but, and poor Beatrix being told off for expecting it coming. I suppose that after the ROH have missed so many opportunities to bring out this masterpiece on blu-ray, we should be pleased that they have at last presented us with it.

Yes I’ve seen that clip on YouTube, very enjoyable. 

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Yes I’ve seen that clip on YouTube, very enjoyable. 

Hi Rob S, just as an aside, I have posted that Akram Khans Giselle is on BBC4 this coming Sunday at 7:00 pm. I already have it on blu-ray, but worth watching

I've seen it live recently - it's an old Chinese tale about two wanderers who rest at a monastery where one of them falls in love with a girl in a picture. He ends up with her in her world behind the picture... The dancing is in a neoclassical, expressive ballet style, rather few decor, but a very beautiful light design and some projections. The girl's hair plays an important role throughout the piece, we see her and her friends swinging on long ropes of hair from the ceiling. The music is something between minimal music, percussion and chinese. I liked it!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, alison said:

Don't know how recent this is, but the ROH has sent me an email telling me that the new RB Swan Lake is available. I think.

https://shop.roh.org.uk/collections/new-swan-lake?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019_apr_swan_lake_retail&utm_content=version_A&emailsource=44469

Yes I had the same email this am. Last in the field as usual. The new RB Swan Lake  has been listed by other retailers for quite a while. I ordered my copy from Amazon over a month ago - and at a much cheaper price then the ROH Shop is offering.

Edited by David

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I've just had a look in the ROH shop & the new Swan Lake is indeed on the shelves. I wonder if it'll sell very well? I mean, most people probably recorded it when it was on TV at Christmas.

The Blu Ray version should be higher definition than the  broadcast on BBC 4. Plus presumably there will be some "extras". I think I would have ordered it even if I hadn't stupidly deleted my recording in error 😕

Watched the new Bolshoi Coppelia on Blu-Ray and although there is no booklet with cast or synopsis, no extras with bonus features or interviews, the Production quality and performances are stunning.

Edited by Stevie
typo

I keep watching this Blu-Ray, agree the sound and picture quality is superior to the RB, they always are. I saw this production a few years ago at the ROH and loved it,  Sergei Vikharev was about to revise it before he sadly died, it's one of his re-constructions.

Margarita Shrainer is well suited to Swanhilda, I might even give her Kitri another go in the summer although I said I wouldn't, she and Ivan Vasiliev could be fantastic.

Hope it sells well and the Bolshoi start releasing more ballets, I would love to have their Don Quixote and Le Corsaire on Blu-Ray too. 

2 hours ago, John Mallinson said:

Nuñez and Muntagirov to sign copies of their Swan Lake dvd.

Great news, if I can find out when they are signing in Carlisle I will get my blu-ray ready and put the kettle on.

2 hours ago, John Mallinson said:

Two new releases on separate discs for 31st May, both from Norwegian National Ballet and both based on Ibsen. Ghosts and Hedda Gabler, with new musical scores and Choreography by what appears at first sight, to be an all Norwegian team.

Looks like Ghosts is the earlier of the two productions, but both released at the same time.

We will see what they are like.

Edited by Stevie

5 hours ago, John Mallinson said:

That's great, although sadly can't make it. I also like the fact that the Royal Ballet does have some form of social media account that is separate from the Royal Opera and Royal Opera House....I wish they had their own Facebook and Instagram page

• Like 1

On 02/05/2019 at 15:11, Stevie said:

..and so they did, and very charming they were too and very good for business - quite a queue. 

So, now I have love from Vadim and hugs from Marianela. 

People of course wanted photos etc etc and they coped with it all so politely. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

..and so they did, and very charming they were too and very good for business - quite a queue. 

So, now I have love from Vadim and hugs from Marianela. 

People of course wanted photos etc etc and they coped with it all so politely. 

Both are seasoned veterans of such demands at the Stage Door and disport themselves with amazing grace and good humour.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Chatted after today's show at stage door.

It is indicated that following the Swan Lake, last year's LB, nutcracker and the coming Coppelia and Ramonda is going to be released DVD/Blueray.

Such a delightful news! 

I think that last year LB Nela/Vadim/Natalia is a truly "dream team" for La Bayadare. I watched the previous 2 recording (Asylmuratova/Darcey and Rojo/Nunez) and personally think that last year's performance is the best of all three, or probably the best of all time.

• Like 8

On 06/06/2019 at 01:00, HelenLoveAppleJuice said:

Chatted after today's show at stage door.

It is indicated that following the Swan Lake, last year's LB, nutcracker and the coming Coppelia and Ramonda is going to be released DVD/Blueray.

Such a delightful news! 

I think that last year LB Nela/Vadim/Natalia is a truly "dream team" for La Bayadare. I watched the previous 2 recording (Asylmuratova/Darcey and Rojo/Nunez) and personally think that last year's performance is the best of all three, or probably the best of all time.

I for one loved that performance of LB and was actually in the audience that very night (if it was the one that was live streamed, not sure exactly how filming for DVDs works and if it corresponds with the live filming) so it will be a very special DVD which I feel I must have. I haven't seen another LB but have to say I do think Nela/Vadim/Natalia were truly suited to the roles and danced brilliantly that evening. 

Does this mean Nunez is in all LB/Sleeping Beauty/Nutcracker/Swan Lake DVDs for the RB though? (Not withstanding historical recordings of course.) And presumably Coppelia as well as I believe it is her and Vadim being filmed this year? As much as I love her, I feel this is a bit much surely as she then dominates the classics and the recent RB DVD output. 

I note the Raymonda being filmed has Osipova at least! And SB this year will be Cuthertson and Bonneli, though it looks unlikely for a DVD release perhaps. Feel we need a bit of variety and could do with Naghdi/Hayward particularly getting some DVDs (someone correct me if I'm wrong and they already have them!). Perhaps we can hope for a Naghdi/Ball RJ release, but I note Manon isn't being filmed this year it seems, so no chance for Hayward. 

But I'm very pleased about LB, I've been waiting and hoping for that to be released so thanks for the news!

• Like 3