Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

14 hours ago, Colman said:

Yes, having made the mistake of getting a Blu-ray player recently it turns out that it does and I need to replace my DVDs. 

You tend to watch a laptop much closer than a big TV, so you’ll see the detail level.

Oh dear, sounds like this is going to be expensive. There are times when I hate the progress of technology.

10 hours ago, Mimi said:

But you can! Even on a Mac.  It requires some more financial outlay, like an external Blu-Ray drive and a program capable of reading the disc, but it's completely doable.

Having examined my laptop's various ports it has an HDMI one so I'd assumed that I'd just be able to plug in a Blu-ray player to that like you'd plug it into an HDMI port on a TV. However I hadn't thought about software. Oh well, I certainly can't afford to shell out £400-500 right now so I've got plenty of time to research it further.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Oh dear, sounds like this is going to be expensive. There are times when I hate the progress of technology.

Having examined my laptop's various ports it has an HDMI one so I'd assumed that I'd just be able to plug in a Blu-ray player to that like you'd plug it into an HDMI port on a TV. However I hadn't thought about software. Oh well, I certainly can't afford to shell out £400-500 right now so I've got plenty of time to research it further.

It plugs in to the USB port. A decent player will set you back about £90 on Amazon

The player will come with the software needed

• Like 3

Don't make the same mistake I did and buy  a blu-ray player compatible with windows 7, improved computer speaker's and a 29" monitor for my desktop. It works well, but I find that it never gets used, much preferring to use my large screen TV and surround sound with my Blu-ray player, a far superior experience, the desktop only gets used for such as you-tube streaming's now, but not for playing DVD's or Blu-ray's.

If you have a TV with optical audio link, you can easily play the sound through your existing  Hi-Fi system using a DAC, and Toslink cable, from about £10 upwards. You don't have to replace your DVD collection, because the Blu-ray player plays them with much higher resolution than any DVD player.

So I find that sitting at a computer or with a laptop on my knee when I can sit in a comfortable armchair with large screen HD, with much better sound system and also watch together in company. My friend's wife doesn't like Ballet, so not being allowed to watch it on TV, he is reduced to watching on his desk top. It is a very poor substitute.

I would recommend to every one who has not upgraded to blu-ray already, to do it now, the tech is a great improvement to DVD and it does not create obsolescence of your DVD collection.

I think that this theme is misplaced in the new DVD releases, so if someone can put it where it belongs.

Edited by Stevie

14 hours ago, alison said:

The trouble with Blu-Rays is precisely that you can't watch them on a computer!

You can, but if you see my other reply and my questioning the value of watching them on a computer. I also thought that this theme may benefit by being given its own theme.

7 hours ago, Rob S said:

It plugs in to the USB port. A decent player will set you back about £90 on Amazon

The player will come with the software needed

I was looking at prices for something that will record as well as play, which are a lot more expensive.

5 hours ago, Stevie said:

Don't make the same mistake I did and buy  a blu-ray player compatible with windows 7, improved computer speaker's and a 29" monitor for my desktop. It works well, but I find that it never gets used, much preferring to use my large screen TV and surround sound with my Blu-ray player, a far superior experience, the desktop only gets used for such as you-tube streaming's now, but not for playing DVD's or Blu-ray's.

If you have a TV with optical audio link, you can easily play the sound through your existing  Hi-Fi system using a DAC, and Toslink cable, from about £10 upwards. You don't have to replace your DVD collection, because the Blu-ray player plays them with much higher resolution than any DVD player.

So I find that sitting at a computer or with a laptop on my knee when I can sit in a comfortable armchair with large screen HD, with much better sound system and also watch together in company. My friend's wife doesn't like Ballet, so not being allowed to watch it on TV, he is reduced to watching on his desk top. It is a very poor substitute.

I would recommend to every one who has not upgraded to blu-ray already, to do it now, the tech is a great improvement to DVD and it does not create obsolescence of your DVD collection.

I think that this theme is misplaced in the new DVD releases, so if someone can put it where it belongs.

That only works if you have an existing Hi-Fi system though, which I don't (I have no idea what an "optical audio link" may be. Our TV screen is only a few inches larger than my laptop screen (& I'd be arguing with my mother for possession of it) so I find it much easier to watch what I want on my laptop in my bedroom. I prefer watching things on my own rather than in company (sadly this is impossible for live theatregoing!).

I'm sorry if I've got the wrong thread but I did a search for threads with "Blu-ray" in the title & this was the only one that came up so I don't know where else I should/could have put it.

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I was looking at prices for something that will record as well as play, which are a lot more expensive.

That only works if you have an existing Hi-Fi system though, which I don't (I have no idea what an "optical audio link" may be. Our TV screen is only a few inches larger than my laptop screen (& I'd be arguing with my mother for possession of it) so I find it much easier to watch what I want on my laptop in my bedroom. I prefer watching things on my own rather than in company (sadly this is impossible for live theatregoing!).

I'm sorry if I've got the wrong thread but I did a search for threads with "Blu-ray" in the title & this was the only one that came up so I don't know where else I should/could have put it.

Sadly, I don't think this forum can help  with all of that.

I  have a DVD player/recorder and I can't recommend them. It has the benefit of being able to burn recordings to disc, but otherwise it is more trouble than it is worth. We have 32 inch TV's in each bedroom, with a blu-ray player to each, for when the Grandchildren stay with us, so everyone can then watch what they want, without argument, so that is easily resolved. The 12" indoor 'Labgear' mini log digital aerial is a brilliant reception and so easy to fit up.

If your TV has an optical link, it will be a small socket on the back, clearly marked up as 'optical link'. Some TV.s have 2 x phono links instead, but optical carries better sound. Clearly of no value without a HI-Fi system.

Can't suggest how to get an empty Theatre, but have found the Cinema streaming's not to be as well attended as they deserve, so it would probably be possible to find a secluded part part of the Cinema. I like to see Theatre's and Cinemas full, tending to think that they can't continue without being fully supported.

Edited by alison
Deleted duplicate quote

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Hmm, I think there's very little left on the UK market.  I believe there's one Panasonic(?) Blu-Ray recorder, at something over £400.  And if it's anything like their DVD recorder, you won't be able to connect any external sources to it.

12 hours ago, alison said:

Hmm, I think there's very little left on the UK market.  I believe there's one Panasonic(?) Blu-Ray recorder, at something over £400.  And if it's anything like their DVD recorder, you won't be able to connect any external sources to it.

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder, and I wish that I had never purchased it. However, if there is anyone who wishes to buy a blu-ray recorder, Currys/PC World have a PANASONIC DMR-PWT550EB currently on offer at £249.99, with good reviews. They also have a higher spec one at £329, also with good reviews. They both do 4K, HDD and 3D. 

This one is a Blu-Ray player only, though, as far as I can see (and at that price I'm not surprised!). Will record onto the hard drive, but I can't see any indication that it will record onto a physical disc, or even transfer the recording onto one from the hard drive, as recent Panasonics seem to do :(

What's your DVD recorder, Stevie?

39 minutes ago, alison said:

This one is a Blu-Ray player only, though, as far as I can see (and at that price I'm not surprised!). Will record onto the hard drive, but I can't see any indication that it will record onto a physical disc, or even transfer the recording onto one from the hard drive, as recent Panasonics seem to do :(

What's your DVD recorder, Stevie?

Mine is a Panasonic DMR773. There is no blu-ray or DVD recorder that will record directly to disc. It first has the be copied to hard drive and than transferred to disc after, if copy is required.

The discs for over 120 minutes are very expensive, but  longer programs can be copied very slowly onto a 120 minute disc at lower resolution. You also have to format the player for the right disc (i.e. HD+R or HD-R etc) and once formatted it won't play the other until formatted back. 

Both the TV and DVD/Blu-Ray recorder have to be tuned in to the latest channels or it will not take. When you update to the latest channels, everything you have set timer to record is deleted. So often you miss the program. The whole thing is a pain, so we now use the SMART TV to play 'catch up TV' and find it far superior  than trying to record programs. Extract from manual attached.

How do I copy from HDD to DVD on my Panasonic DVD recorder?

Please follow the steps below:-

• Put your DVD disk into the recorder unit and make sure that this has been formatted.
  • Put the unit into HDD mode by pressing the Drive Select button on the DVD remote until you see HDD on the DVD LCD screen.
  •  Press the Function menu button on the DVD remote, select Others, and press OK.
  • Then select Advance Copy and press OK.
  • The first option should be "Copy Direction", which should display HDD to DVD.
  • Then select the second option which says "Copy Speed". Press the right arrow button and then select "Recording Mode" and press OK.
  • Then select the mode you wish to copy in, XP, SP, LP, or EP depending on how long the program is.
  • Go to "Create List" and press the right arrow button which will take you to a blank table. Press OK to access your HDD.
  • Find the program(s) that you want to copy from your HDD and press the II (pause) button. These will be added to the list.
  • When you have selected them all, press the OK button to confirm, press the left hand arrow to go back to Create List and then press down to "Start Copying", and then press OK.
  • You will then be asked if you want to finalise the disc (so the disc can be played on other DVD units). Once you have selected Yes or No, then the copying will start.

Please note that during this time you will not be able to watch or record a program while the unit is in Copy mode. But you are right, the 550 cant burn to disc, which will be a relief to those owning it.

Edited by Stevie
  • Like 1

😠

26 minutes ago, alison said:

Hmm, I see what you mean - that doesn't sound any better than the current option.  I'm seriously considering getting a refurbished etc. older version so I can finish copying my videos to disk.

Those are just the good points, wait until people tell you about their bad experiences. Like trying to get it out of 'jammed' mode when there appears to be no response whatever keys you press, and you still have a DVD stuck in the machine. That ones a lot of fun.

Edited by Stevie

19 minutes ago, Alice Shortcake said:

I'm baffled by Amazon's claim that the recently released 'Onegin' is Region 1 and therefore unsuitable for most DVD players in the UK, yet according to C Major's website the DVD is Region O. Has anyone here bought a copy from Amazon UK?

Yes, and it’s in the ROH shop too.

The Amazon photo of the back of the box confirms it’s region free.

Edited by Rob S

@alison and Stevie,

If you have all your files on your computer I think the best option and simplest option is to buy a cheap device to stream your files to your TV. Like chromecast for £35 or Apple TV. (There are lots of options just google stream to TV)

all you you need is a tv with a hdmi cable (no need to retune your channels) and a WiFi network.

its a very small device that you can  put in and take out easily without any need for retuning or messing your tv up. You can also stream YouTube, and lots of other video streams from the internet to your TV.

if you have any technical  questions you can PM me.

Reading back over today's posts it's not looking promising for finding something that will record onto Blu-ray. I have a) an HDD with about 80 hours of programmes (mostly Proms & suchlike) that I can't transfer to disc since the DVD recorder that is part of the same unit stopped recording & b) a Tivo with a few programmes that I'd like copy to disc. If it is so hard to get a machine that will record onto Blu-ray then what are people supposed to do when they have to get a new HDD recorder or Tivo? Lose everything they have recorded? It seems very odd that Blu-ray recorders are not more readily available.

21 hours ago, Alice Shortcake said:

I'm baffled by Amazon's claim that the recently released 'Onegin' is Region 1 and therefore unsuitable for most DVD players in the UK, yet according to C Major's website the DVD is Region O. Has anyone here bought a copy from Amazon UK?

It is a common problem for Amazon to list the wrong region code against a listing, for both DVD and Blu-ray. Clearly they only guess at it, because if they had the item to hand, they would see the correct region code on the rear artwork. So never rely on Amazon  for this, always double check via the artwork illustration or other sites first.

15 hours ago, Colman said:

Why do you want the recordings on DVD?

I suppose there could be many reasons, such as with a DVD recorder hard drive having limited capacity, there may be those which one would want to keep copies whilst clearing up the hard drive, for space for new recordings. It saves on CPU. You may just wish to back up your hard drive with a hard copy, similarly to any work you have done or valuable documents. It may be that you would want to watch them on another player or in another room. The hard drive is not a particularly secure storage space, recordings are very easily deleted, by mistake by oneself, or other users and some wife's have an obsession about deleting program's already watched. You may want to show a friend (although a grey area legally, so don't tell). It is called a DVD for a very good reason, that's why we buy them, its a great format if they are looked after. Not sure why  members here want them, but there are many valid reasons for them to save to disc.

Edited by Stevie

18 hours ago, alison said:

Freeview.  On odd occasions - or transfer my old videos to DVD, as I mentioned.  But if we're going to divert the thread this much we really ought to start a new one somewhere ...

Alison, I suppose that the DVD Player/Recorder would satisfy your needs and without buying a load of other piggy back equipment. Just remember though, there are certain things for ease of use and just be patient when using. 

1. Always buy the same format recordable discs and keep the recorder set to that format.

2. Stick to whatever format the unit is already set, i.e. DVD-R 

3. For economy try to keep to the 120 min, 4.7 GB discs

4. Be prepared to lose a little resolution and rip at lower speed for programs over 120 mins

You can buy a wallet that holds 90 DVD's for about £8.00 on ebay, they keep them clean and very well worth having

Edited by Stevie

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone considering the pre order of Manon, Royal Ballet, blu-ray, there is a current promotion on Amazon, for undisclosed, limited period of £5 off, for selected items over £25, which means that it becomes £20.09 and qualifies for free p&p. There appears to be no catches, such as joining Amazon prime etc.

• Like 3

Thank you Stevie. I have cancelled my previous blu-ray order and re-ordered using the discount code and saved myself £5!!!

Nice one!

I think the offer is for today only.

Edited by David
Spelling!

52 minutes ago, David said:

Thank you Stevie. I have cancelled my previous blu-ray order and re-ordered using the discount code and saved myself £5!!!

Nice one!

I think the offer is for today only.

I think its called thrifty. Frugal is when you go without and mean is when you don't buy your round at the bar. 

Enjoy it. 

Edited by Stevie
typo
  • Like 2

On 04/03/2019 at 18:57, alison said:

Freeview.  On odd occasions - or transfer my old videos to DVD, as I mentioned.  But if we're going to divert the thread this much we really ought to start a new one somewhere ...

Alison, I should have pointed out another problem with DVD recorders. Although most play PAL & NTSC, when you program anything to record, the DVD machine automatically defaults to PAL and will not play NTSC,  just a message saying Incompatible TV. Since most classical DVD's are in the American NTSC format, this can be a problem. You can cancel the record program and reset it later, or wait until recording has finished. Since my wife 'chokes' up the machine to record all the rubbish of the day, it means I have to watch mine on another machine.

I hope the production won't look as dark on DVD as it did in the cinema relay. I recently bought the new 'Onegin' DVD and was very disappointed by the dinginess of many scenes - perhaps I'm comparing it to the old (and therefore over-lit for TV) National Ballet of Canada version, or perhaps I need to invest in a better player!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, David said:

I am going to get it. I already have it on hard drive and copied to disc, from BBC4 Christmas day TV and it will bring my Swan Lake collection up to 12 versions. One may have to go to make space. I will take a majority vote on the one to go, from the attached list.

Swan Lake                                                                           

2              DVD Kirov                                                           

3              Royal Ballet Nunez  Blu-Ray                        

4              LAC Ballet de Monte Carlo Blu-Ray                                                       

23           Mariinsky Lopatkina Blu-Ray                                                           

37           zurich Ballet Semionova Blu-Ray

42           Makharova Kirov DVD Box set

58           Svetty la Scala DVD

96           Bolshoi Svetty Blu-Ray

98           Swedish ballet DVD

156         Royal Ballet Osipova Blu-Ray

160         POB Letestu Blu-ray    

18 hours ago, Alice Shortcake said:

I hope the production won't look as dark on DVD as it did in the cinema relay. I recently bought the new 'Onegin' DVD and was very disappointed by the dinginess of many scenes - perhaps I'm comparing it to the old (and therefore over-lit for TV) National Ballet of Canada version, or perhaps I need to invest in a better player!

There must have been a problem in some Cinemas, since our Cinema and the TV broadcast was fine in colour, brightnessd and contrast. 

A month since I watched the new Onegin, but from what I recall it was overly bright. It sounds like some experimental TV adjustments may be worth while. Try the brightness first until you are satisfied, then try the contrast and then colour.

Best buy of the week should be the box set, 'The Art of Svetlana Zakarhova at the Bolshou', on Blu-Ray, in HD. It contains her, Swan Lake, La Bayadere, Sleeping Beauty and La Fille de Pharaon, discs, all four complete ballet's on Bel-Air Classics, for a total price of £13.99, inclusive of p&p. These are all retailing it an average of about £20 each. It is on ebay, MusicMagpie and only one left.

Edited by Stevie
typo
  • Like 1

On 19/03/2019 at 15:14, Stevie said:

For anyone considering the pre order of Manon, Royal Ballet, blu-ray, there is a current promotion on Amazon, for undisclosed, limited period of £5 off, for selected items over £25, which means that it becomes £20.09 and qualifies for free p&p. There appears to be no catches, such as joining Amazon prime etc.

I can confirm that anyone buying this will not be disappointed. The production, costumes, sets, stunning music and of course the dancing are all as I remember from the Cinema streaming. However I have noted a great deal more from the acting ability in the roles and particularly the lead casting. Vadim has mastered the depth of the role of lovelorn Des Grieux, clearly knowing that he is 'punching above his weight', with a beautiful Manon. Miss Lamb completely identifies with the Character of Manon, from innocence at the beginning to her coquettish best as she gradually develops the role. Not in love, but totally captivated with the idea of love, she imperceptibly changes the mood, scene by scene, through to its dramatic conclusion.

The extras are a worthy addition, with rehearsal of the Courtisan's, just one change of Juhui Choi to the performance and Darcy's interview of Deborah MacMillan.

• Like 2