Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Not sure whether this has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but a dvd and blu ray release of Osipova and the wonderful Sarafanov dancing Don Q at La Scala is now available for pre-order on Amazon.  The label is C major Entertainment.  Release date seems to be April 1 (by which time I hope the price has come down a bit from a rather steep £29.99).

• Like 3

Another release in the pipeline seems to be the Royal Ballet quadruple bill from last autumn (the one including Acosta's Carmen).  I saw this come up on Steven McRae's twitter account with a link to the ROH online shop.  I can't recall an earlier press release about it but I suspect I just missed it.  Release date (at least in the ROH shop, which sometimes has the Opus Arte recordings in advance of more general release) is May 2nd.  http://www.roh.org.uk/products/viscera-carmen-blu-ray-disc-the-royal-ballet

Edited by barton22
  • Like 1

Oh dear! This DVD smacks slightly of desperation, presumably being sold on the basis that Carmen is Acosta's farewell. Seems to be hugely overpriced too. Can't help but think that a mixed bill from either BRB or ENB would be more interesting than this combination.

Oh, the effects of star power, even if the ballet itself is so far from being memorable.

• Like 4

There is precious little Robbins available on DVD. If the only way I can get a recording of his Afternoon of a Faun is by buying a recording on a DVD which includes Acosta's Carmen that is the price I am going to have to pay to be able to watch Faun with an excellent cast when I want to do so. Now I am not entirely sure that Tchaikovsky pas de Deux should have been quite as much of an exposition of technique as it proved to be with MacRae and Salenko dancing it. I get the impression from watching bits of it on YouTube that earlier performers treated the piece as a whole rather than a work of separate self-contained sections and that they were somewhat less emphatic with their technical display and a bit more stylish. Having said that I shall be happy to have a recording of another Balanchine work and to be able to watch it, Faun and Viscera at my leisure.

My recollection of the run of performances from which this DVD emanates is that I would not have felt short changed if the performance had ended with the Balanchine and we had not had Carmen at all. It would have been a short evening but one only to be complained about by those who judge an evening at the ballet by the amount of time they have spent in the theatre rather than the quality of the ballets and their performance.No one is going to force me or anyone else to watch Carmen but I shall have several ballets that I do want to see available to me.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 3

I'm sure it will sell well. A lot of people did seem to enjoy Carmen. I was at a conference last week talking to a colleague from the other end of the country, and it turned out she is a huge ballet fan and often sees performances in the ROH. She saw Carmen and absolutely loved it. So I'm sure others who feel the same will buy the DVD/blu Ray.

I am really happy that the wonderful Viscera will be available, and the Vadim/Sarah Lamb performance of Faun. I'm less excited about the Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux - although I love it, for me that particular performance felt a bit "polite", and fell a bit flat.

• Like 2

I've never been quite sure if there *is* a "set" way of dancing Tchai Pas! Certainly every time I see it back in the programming it never looks how I expect it to look, so I don't know whether it's my memory that's at fault, or what.

This one definitely won't be going on my Christmas list, anyway.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

A long wait but so worth it. The disks will be up on Amazon soon and hopefully at a lower price. I seem to remember (it was a long time ago!) that Frankenstein was promised for October?

Also the Scala Raymonda with Olesia Novikova & Friedmann Vogel is scheduled for release on 9th Sept along with a re-issue of the Dutch National Ballet's Don Quichot with Anna Tsygankova &Matthew Golding, I'm hoping with the technical problems solved. Don't know anything about the Raymonda performance but the Don Quichot has had good reviews performance-wise.

A long wait but so worth it. The disks will be up on Amazon soon and hopefully at a lower price. I seem to remember (it was a long time ago!) that Frankenstein was promised for October?

Also the Scala Raymonda with Olesia Novikova & Friedmann Vogel is scheduled for release on 9th Sept along with a re-issue of the Dutch National Ballet's Don Quichot with Anna Tsygankova &Matthew Golding, I'm hoping with the technical problems solved. Don't know anything about the Raymonda performance but the Don Quichot has had good reviews performance-wise.

I agree on pricing.  Amazon usually starts listing at the same price as the ROH but does occasionally drop the price, which the ROH shop never seems to do.

That Raymonda is a reissue.  Not that it is any less appealing for that, but it is currently available in its original packaging from its 2012 release.  The current price on Amazon is quite a bit lower for the upcoming reissue, though.

Another upcoming release is yet another Nutcracker (as if we didn't have enough on dvd/bluray).  It is a 1999 Berlin performance on Arthaus.  I suspect this is a reissue, although I haven't seen it show up before.

(I know I am supposed to stick to ballet here, but I see the Royal Opera Jonas Kaufmann Andrea Chenier is now due to be released on September 9th and, at least today, it looks quite keenly priced in both dvd and bluray formats on Amazon.)

Edited by barton22
  • Like 2

That Raymonda is a reissue.  Not that it is any less appealing for that, but it is currently available in its original packaging from its 2012 release.  The current price on Amazon is quite a bit lower for the upcoming reissue, though.

Thanks for the clarification barton22.

The reviews for the original release seem very mixed leaving me rather unsure about it. A reconstruction that could seem overlong and rather dull!

just fast forw

Thanks for the clarification barton22.

The reviews for the original release seem very mixed leaving me rather unsure about it. A reconstruction that could seem overlong and rather dull!

just fast forward to the women's solos (Novikova is amazing) and poor Friedemann's 90-second variation in the grand pdd. What a waste of a good dancer. But that's just a general problem with Raymonda I think,not this production particularly

• Like 1

I might have written about this before, but the worst part of the La Scala DVD is that the screen is split into two at the 3rd act variation for Novikova and half of the screen shows the piano's keyboards. Horrible. (and I am not a fan of the production either, it is indeed dull) 

• Like 2

just fast forward to the women's solos (Novikova is amazing) and poor Friedemann's 90-second variation in the grand pdd. What a waste of a good dancer. But that's just a general problem with Raymonda I think,not this production particularly

I might have written about this before, but the worst part of the La Scala DVD is that the screen is split into two at the 3rd act variation for Novikova and half of the screen shows the piano's keyboards. Horrible. (and I am not a fan of the production either, it is indeed dull) 

My thanks to you both. I shall pass on this one!

Edited by David

This collection looks very exciting to me:

http://www.roh.org.uk/products/the-royal-ballet-a-collection-dvd-set

Many will have bought these individually over the years but for someone starting a collection it is indeed a brilliant offer with some of the RB's finest dancers at their best in what are for me much loved productions. I'm sure most of us would recommend it wholeheartedly.

• Like 1

Well I like it - it makes the story much easier to follow - but you are right, the story is quite simple. However, do all ballets have to be exciting - there is some lovely dancing in there. I particularly love the Fantastic Waltz and the corps des ballet dance in the first Act 

• Like 1

Has the wonderful recording of Lynn Seymour and Anthony Dowell in Month In The Country ever been released on DVD or video / ever likely to be released?  At the moment i just have to make do with the ballet being split on youtube and I would just love to watch the whole ballet uninterrupted.

p.s Sorry if this is slightly off topic.  I wasn't sure where else to post this.

• Like 1

I think it is the best of all the the reconstructions, much better than the Ratmansky productions. All those wonderful variations for Raymonda and the female soloists, the perfect build-up of the corps de ballet scenes in all three acts - incredible! Novikova is brillant. I love the flower wreaths the women wear instead of tiaras, I love the colours of their costumes in Raymonda's dream. It may not be something you watch on the screen, but the live experience left me speechless.

• Like 1

Morera is listed as the Gipsy Girl on the ROH DVD / Blu Ray release of Pigeons. It was Kaneko in the cinema surely...

It was Kaneko - must be a mistake, unless they had previously filmed a performance with Morera. Much as I love Morera, that would be a bit rough on Kaneko, so I think that's unlikely!

Was it not originally intended to be Morera, but she was replaced by Kaneko due to injury?

Also, looking on Amazon there seems to be a new, upcoming DVD by Opus Arte called Gala Des Etoiles. Filmed in 2015. Due to be released on the 30th September 2016. Has an interesting mix of dancers by the looks of it.

• Like 1

I wondered about the reference to Morera as well. There was certainly some film of Morera as the Gypsy as it appeared in one of those five minute trailers that ROH put up on the website. While it would be sad for Kaneko if her performance were not on the DVD it would, in my opinion, be sad for the purchaser if it is Kaneko's performance that is on the DVD. Morera gave an object lesson in how Ashton's Gypsy should be danced and it is performances like hers which we should get to see. Ashton like Balanchine liked dangerous dancing and Morera's was dangerous and as a result her character was dangerous and alluring. Kaneko was good but not in the same league as Morera's account.

There are far too many safe,small scale performances of Ashton's ballets at Covent Garden in which the steps are reproduced but they are not danced. Ashton ballets  require the dancer to use the entire body. If the dancer cannot use the upper body expansively enough, if they are not completely in control of the choreography or if the dancer lacks musicality and is merely counting rather than listening to the music then you do not get a real performance. Morera's account showed how the role should be danced and the character portrayed.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 5

I agree that the camera work and presentation is irritating - that split screen is horrendous.  I find this a problem with some Mariinsky recordings as well - odd camera angles (for example, in their Jewels recording with a camera overhead and one very visible at the centre of the footlights) and poor choices of focus in the camera work (for example, a tendency to keep the camera on the ballerina even when she is doing nothing and the principal man is executing fireworks elsewhere on stage but barely visible on screen, as happened a few times in their Romeo and Juliet recording).  I sometimes wonder whether particular artists involved in these performances demand a certain amount of exposure as part of their consent to the filming and release of the recording.  I think the Royal Ballet recordings generally have pretty good camera work.

• Like 1

That is indeed VERY annoying

Also, looking on Amazon there seems to be a new, upcoming DVD by Opus Arte called Gala Des Etoiles. Filmed in 2015. Due to be released on the 30th September 2016. Has an interesting mix of dancers by the looks of it.

I'm interested in this but having trouble finding this either on Amazon or with a google search.  Are you able to post a link to where you are seeing it?

Thank you!  Oddly, even when I copy and paste the exact title given on the Amazon page it doesn't show in the search results!  Anyway, good to have this and I have registered for an email when they make it available for pre-order.

Amazon usually starts listing at the same price as the ROH but does occasionally drop the price, which the ROH shop never seems to do.

Over the past few years I have watched alternative DVD/Blu-ray retailers go broke or just drop out of the market one by one. The latest - Rakuten.com, formerly Play. com - has announced they are taking no further orders after the end of the month. For me they were the last alternative to Amazon when looking for the best price. Having devastated the competition Amazon now seems the only outlet for arts disks and their discounts are becoming less and less by the day.  One can still pick up an occasional bargain from US companies via eBay or the like but in the main, I suspect the days of discounts are behind us. Meanwhile the retail costs of the discs themselves continue to rise! If anyone out there knows a company that may be still offering discounts I'd be glad to know!!!!