Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

47 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I haven't seen this ballet, just the Opera, so look forward to giving it a try. I did try the ballet based on the same story, Tatiana, but it does not have the Tchaikovsky music, so I didn't rate it very highly.

I think you're in for a real treat as you've never seen Onegin before - the 2015 Royal Ballet performances were fabulous and a great shame there was no cinema relay/filming.

• Like 3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I think you're in for a real treat as you've never seen Onegin before - the 2015 Royal Ballet performances were fabulous and a great shame there was no cinema relay/filming.

They were wonderful, weren't they?  I'm so hoping it's programmed for next season.

My DVD is in the post - I haven't seen this ballet since that run so I'm thrilled I'll finally be able to see it again!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Anna C said:

No! Why stream it in cinemas then? 

Who knows, just quoting the reply when I asked them the question. It can be said that there have been many live streaming in cinema which didn't result in a DVD release. Could public response influence the outcome ?

15 hours ago, Stevie said:

Who knows, just quoting the reply when I asked them the question. It can be said that there have been many live streaming in cinema which didn't result in a DVD release. Could public response influence the outcome ?

15 hours ago, Stevie said:

Just found the response from ENB, Adam Lawford. He refers to the very high, up front investment for releasing DVD and Blu-ray. I suppose they have Market research capability and so have considered the potential returns as a risk. Even in this forum, some members have said they were interested in purchasing the Bernstein Centenary and some are not. I was wondering if anyone knows the size of this forum membership, if not the number of members who would invest in Akram Khan's Giselle on DVD.

Edited by Stevie

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

Just found the response from ENB, Adam Lawford. He refers to the very high, up front investment for releasing DVD and Blu-ray. I suppose they have Market research capability and so have considered the potential returns as a risk. Even in this forum, some members have said they were interested in purchasing the Bernstein Centenary and some are not. I was wondering if anyone knows the size of this forum membership, if not the number of members who would invest in Akram Khan's Giselle on DVD.

I did actually start a poll here, as a bit of free market research for ENB :)  , but I don't think enough people voted to make it worthwhile :( 

I wonder whether some sort of streaming is a possibility?  I was hugely disappointed that a number of cinemas showed it on a day where there was a major clash with a Royal Ballet performance, which, certainly in the London area, affected the turnout for the cinema.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone's interested, Northern Ballet's 1984 Blu Ray is £13.30 on Amazon at the moment. Seems like a pretty decent price for the Blu Ray disc, >£20 most of the time. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BF8557Q/?coliid=I2HIUF64OKNJTT&colid=2JWJX25RL6KL2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

BristolBillyBargainBasementBob

• Like 4

On 27/11/2018 at 17:40, Timmie said:

It does say "The Royal Ballet performs Tchaikovsky’s magnificent classical ballet in a brand-new production by young choreographer Liam Scarlett, with sumptuous and evocative designs by John Macfarlane." and "Starring the Argentinian ballerina Marianela Nuñez in the hugely challenging dual-role of Odette/Odile, with Vadim Muntagirov as Prince Siegfried".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/xmas18tv/bbctwo

Edit: since this has gone over a page break I am adding that is for a TV showing not a DVD. Don't get too excited about the DVD release yet :).

Three new releases announced on DVD/Blu-Ray. 'Ashton Collection, Vol 1' on 28/12/18 and a 'Nutcracker' from Ballet Company of Ukraine on 11/01/19 and Stuttgart Ballet in Cranko's 'Romeo & Juliet', also on 11/01/19

Edited by Stevie
  • Like 1

Tamara Rojo - Marguerite and Armand (2013) 
Sergei Polunin - Marguerite and Armand (2013) 
Natalia Osipova - Rhapsody
Steven McRae Rhapsody & The Dream 
Marianela Nuñez - Symphonic Variations 
Vadim Muntagirov - Symphonic Variations & The Two Pigeons 
Lauren Cuthbertson - The Two Pigeons 
Zenaida Yanowsky - Marguerite and Armand (2017) 
Roberto Bolle - Marguerite and Armand (2017) 

We may gather from the title that a Vol 2 could be expected

Edited by Stevie
more info
  • Like 1

That's what it says. I copy and pasted it from web page. I have them all already, so not of interest to me. I suppose if anyone hasn't then its an economic way of buying them.

Here's the web link.

Iit also says on front cover, La Valse, Voices of Spring and Meditation from Thais. Three disc set.
Edited by Stevie

Thank you Stevie. As you say the Ashton Collection is just another Opus Arte re-packaging of previously released material and like you I already have it all. The Nutcracker trailer is attractive (thnx)  but doesn't really tell us a great deal and I'm still in two minds.  I have so many Nutcrackers on my shelves and I'm reluctant to lash out on another version unless I know it's exceptional. And I'm already committed to releases of the RB's Woolf Works and  the new Swan Lake next year, to say nothing of some very attractive opera and concert disks. Decisions, decisions! I do so need to win the lottery!  

9 minutes ago, David said:

Thank you Stevie. As you say the Ashton Collection is just another Opus Arte re-packaging of previously released material and like you I already have it all. The Nutcracker trailer is attractive (thnx)  but doesn't really tell us a great deal and I'm still in two minds.  I have so many Nutcrackers on my shelves and I'm reluctant to lash out on another version unless I know it's exceptional. And I'm already committed to releases of the RB's Woolf Works and  the new Swan Lake next year, to say nothing of some very attractive opera and concert disks. Decisions, decisions! I do so need to win the lottery!  

Yes, I am the same, nine Nutcracker's on Blu-Ray and two more on DVD. The Ashton stuff is a good deal for those who don't already have it though. From what I have seen of BCU, it should be a good production. I have their Carmina Burana on DVD and it is excellent, they are a good company. 

I've just adjusted my birthday list (it coming out too late for Christmas, of course :( ) accordingly :)  Wonder what will be on Vol. 2 of the Ashton?  By my reckoning, recordings which they already have are:

Les Patineurs

Five Brahms Waltzes ...

Scènes de Ballet

Daphnis and Chloe (Cojocaru/Bonelli)

The 2007 Symphonic Variations (well, if we can have 2 M&As, surely we can have two Symphonics?)

Cinderella (Cojocaru/Kobborg) - although it would probably be cheating to put a full-length in there)

Various other snippets from the 2004 celebrations, including overlap with some of those on the first volume

All but the first two are sufficiently old that they wouldn't be in HD, though :( 

10 hours ago, Stevie said:
Iit also says on front cover, La Valse, Voices of Spring and Meditation from Thais. Three disc set.

And both Monotones.  I have to say that for most of those cases I would have preferred different casts than those committed to DVD, but hey, at least we have a record of the ballets.

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

From what I have seen of BCU, it should be a good production. I have their Carmina Burana on DVD and it is excellent, they are a good company. 

You've tipped me - order placed! I was just waiting to be convinced. And I'll check out their Carmina Burana. Thanks again.

1 hour ago, alison said:

Cinderella (Cojocaru/Kobborg) - although it would probably be cheating to put a full-length in there)

Has this ever been released?  Is this the the BBC Christmas broadcast from years ago which I thought had only been broadcast once  - it would be fabulous if it were ever to made available on a DVD?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, toursenlair said:

surely this is a box set of already released DVDs. The Royal Ballet seems to be doing this a lot at the moment.

A lot of people do it.  Remember things like buying the 3 separate installments of The Lord of the Rings, then out came the box set, then out came the extended box set, then ...  My bugbear is that 15(?)-ballet box set which, though largely gorgeous, and probably a bargain price, is too expensive for anyone to actually give it to me!  This (Ashton) one, at least, does appear to include a large book(let?) on the subject.

I'm surprised they haven't issued a Darcey Bussell collection, really.  After all, there's a Carlos Acosta collection (and a David Hallberg collection, and ...).  You could put together Winter Dreams, Prince of the Pagodas, Sylvia, and maybe even - finally - Song of the Earth (and even, according to Sky Arts, "Darcey Bussell in Mayerling" - you know, where she's in one scene, for perhaps 15 minutes :) ).  Although again they largely wouldn't be HD quality.

• Like 2

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:20, alison said:

I've just adjusted my birthday list (it coming out too late for Christmas, of course :( ) accordingly :)  Wonder what will be on Vol. 2 of the Ashton?  By my reckoning, recordings which they already have are:

Les Patineurs

Five Brahms Waltzes ...

Scènes de Ballet

Daphnis and Chloe (Cojocaru/Bonelli)

The 2007 Symphonic Variations (well, if we can have 2 M&As, surely we can have two Symphonics?)

Various other snippets from the 2004 celebrations, including overlap with some of those on the first volume

All but the first two are sufficiently old that they wouldn't be in HD, though :( 

Well, well, look what I've found: https://shop.roh.org.uk/products/ashton-les-patineurs-divertissements-scenes-de-ballet-dvd-the-royal-ballet

Am I imagining it?  Did the DVD with this picture on the front really contain what it says it does here?  I could have sworn that Les Patineurs came out with something I didn't really want: Beatrix Potter (eek, there's another one for Vol. 2, I suppose), Peter and the Wolf or something.  I love the way Scènes de Ballet is described as featuring Yoshida, Putrov, Edward Watson and Lauren Cuthbertson.  Well, technically, yes: Watson was one of the four supporting men, and Cuthbertson was in the corps, but it's a bit deceptive to phrase it as though they were in leading roles, isn't it?

• Like 1