Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 08:21, Angela said:

Cranko's Romeo was on German TV an is still available for streaming, but I'm pretty sure it' won't work outside of Germany:

https://www.swr.de/swr2/kultur-info/film-50-jahre-ballett-romeo-und-julia-von-john-cranko-stuttgarter-ballett/-/id=9597116/did=23157164/nid=9597116/1gjadzc/index.html

Drat.  They didn't put an expiry date on the webpage, and I didn't get around to watching the 3rd act before it was removed :(  I liked Badenes' Juliet very much, from what I'd seen.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 05/02/2019 at 14:45, Beryl H said:

I'm still confused sometimes, perhaps we're supposed to be.

My understanding is it’s very much McGregor’s decision that there should be no cast list and no synopsis.  I don’t necessarily think we’re supposed to be confused but certainly don’t expect any help from McGregor et al - McGregor might argue people should be free to take whatever they want from Woolf Works and people shouldn’t think they need to know Woolf’s work.  But I’m afraid I find his posturing at best unhelpful and tedious and to be honest extraordinarily arrogant.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

My understanding is it’s very much McGregor’s decision that there should be no cast list and no synopsis.  I don’t necessarily think we’re supposed to be confused but certainly don’t expect any help from McGregor et al - McGregor might argue people should be free to take whatever they want from Woolf Works and people shouldn’t think they need to know Woolf’s work.  But I’m afraid I find his posturing at best unhelpful and tedious and to be honest extraordinarily arrogant.

In the past his productions have been accompanied by masses of obscure verbiage  that seem to have no relevance to his choreography. Now he seems to be going to the other extreme. I've always taken the view that the language of ballet is movement and that explanation should not be necessary. However, as has been made clear on another thread, cast lists ARE important and their absence is insulting, particularly to the dancers concerned.  

• Like 3

Sorry David just to be clear, dancers are listed but not against the characters they dance, particularly relevant to ‘I now, I then’ and ‘Tuesday’.  As the cast referred to themselves as the characters they danced (for example Ed Watson as Septimus), as did McGregor, it just seems so unhelpful not to include that information in the cast list and now the dvd.  I also think a synopsis would help - for example knowing something of Septimus’s story.  It’s entirely up to the audience whether they wish to read such a synopsis or take what is presented on stage and their own experience (which might include something of Virginia Woolf) but McGregor has chosen not to provide any help which as I say I find pretty arrogant.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, David said:

However, as has been made clear on another thread, cast lists ARE important and their absence is insulting, particularly to the dancers concerned.  

Even something listing dancers in order of appearance or whatever if you really don't want to assign them names. But I'm sure there were cast lists at the time. 

Perhaps the reason my favourite section of the entire ballet is the pas de trois in the first act between Septimus Smith, his wife, and Evans, is because I know who they are and what the choreography is representing, the Blu Ray captures the moment when Edward Watson jumps out of the window very well too, don't think I saw that in the theatre, and how rough the wood used in the giant frames is.

I found the Vanessa Redgrave DVD of Mrs. Dalloway easy to understand and enjoyable, much easier than the book :)

• Like 1

It doesn't even need to be a synopsis: just a few well-chosen words putting what we're seeing into some sort of context would be a help, especially to those buying the DVD who didn't see a live performance and had no chance to buy a programme, and/or haven't read the works to which references is made, however obliquely.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so pleased that Sarah Lamb and Vadim Muntagirov's Manon will be released, I saw them the first year they danced it, and then at the cinema, which was a triumphant performance, hope they show all the curtain calls!  Also anything from the Bolshoi is welcome and I liked their production of Coppelia, Margarita Shrainer did get good reviews for her Swanhilda.

• Like 2

The best seller on the Amazon charts, in category performing Arts, is now ENB's Giselle, being ahead of RB's Woolf Works and still only pre release orders.

Is this one of the illustrations of just haw far they have progressed under the directorship of Tamara Rojo ? I hope it is well received on the World Tour this year, including the Bolshoi Theatre.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I was quite surprised to see the new ENB Giselle in the ROH shop last night, according to Amazon it’s not out until 6th March so cancelled my order and bought it there admittedly for £5 more 

Amazon release date is listed as 1st March, which is tomorrow. Amazon usually get it to you on release date, depending on postal service. Hope you watch it before tomorrow, otherwise your extra £5 is wasted. I watched it last night to get max financial benefit.

20 hours ago, alison said:

I didn't particularly like it when I saw it in the cinema - or was it the live one I didn't like?  Either way, I preferred it the time before.

I was surprised when they missed the opportunity to release the Nunez/Bonelli version, it was filmed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Amazon release date is listed as 1st March, which is tomorrow. Amazon usually get it to you on release date, depending on postal service. Hope you watch it before tomorrow, otherwise your extra £5 is wasted. I watched it last night to get max financial benefit.

6th March was the day they said it would arrive although I do admit that they did get the Vienna State’s Le Corsaire to me earlier than expected. 

22 minutes ago, Rob S said:

6th March was the day they said it would arrive although I do admit that they did get the Vienna State’s Le Corsaire to me earlier than expected. 

That would be the latest guaranteed date, when you look on your orders, they give a range between  earliest to latest date. Only when thing have gone wrong in the post can I remember the delivery being close the late delivery date.

Edited by Stevie
typo

I'm very pleased to see that a recent RB Manon will be available soon, as having really liked ENB's recent production I'm interested to see how the RB's compares. However a couple of months ago I bought the RB's Nutcracker & Ashton box set & I have found the picture quality disppointing for both, being quite "blocky" when viewed at anything near full screen. Given the majority of the material was filmed in 2016 it's not a case of having to make allowances for older material. I've only viewed them on my laptop (as my DVD recorder gave up the ghost a while ago & I haven't got round to replacing it so can't watch DVDs on my TV) & the picture quality is visibly worse than if I'm watching something on the BBC iPlayer or, for ballet comparisons, when I watched the Bolshoi Bayedere & the Stuttgart Onegin & R&J in January. My laptop screen is only 15.6 inches (resolution 1920 X 1280 pixels) so it's not as if I'm watching on some huge 40 or 50 inch TV screen but I'm wondering if even at that size screen I need to think about starting to buy Blu-rays instead of DVDs (& obviously a blu-ray player too). Does anyone with better techincal knowledge than me know if there would be a difference in picture quality between Blu-rays & DVDs on a screen that size?

6 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Does anyone with better techincal knowledge than me know if there would be a difference in picture quality between Blu-rays & DVDs on a screen that size?

Yes, having made the mistake of getting a Blu-ray player recently it turns out that it does and I need to replace my DVDs. 

You tend to watch a laptop much closer than a big TV, so you’ll see the detail level.

The trouble with Blu-Rays is precisely that you can't watch them on a computer!

But you can! Even on a Mac.  It requires some more financial outlay, like an external Blu-Ray drive and a program capable of reading the disc, but it's completely doable.

6 hours ago, alison said:

Ah, right.  Perhaps I should have said "as standard"?

The electrical shops seem to be full of laptops that don't have optical drives so even a dvd player is not as standard any more

52 minutes ago, Rob S said:

The electrical shops seem to be full of laptops that don't have optical drives so even a dvd player is not as standard any more

Given that a computer plug in dvd drive costs less than £20, this may not be a big problem if your pc/laptop doesn’t have an integral drive.