charliewise

Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

I think you will find them a big improvement on the old VHS. I once attended a lecture called 'The Future of Adventure', which made me think. It depended on the individual, whilst one persons adventure could be climbing Everest, another was a walk on the fells, they both gave the same satisfaction to that person. Its all about what you are happy with and enjoy, but also about having choices.

If you can buy your DVD's in PAL format, they are better resolution than NTSC, although many classical are only issued in NTSC.(American Format).

You enjoy your DVD's, I still enjoy mine as do millions of others, despite now buying blu-ray and thinking about possible future move to UHD.😄

• Like 1

With all that talking about 4K UHD and Blue Ray I feel rather outdated with my veeery old ballet recordings, made some 20, 30 years ago with the old VHS recorder or carefully dubbed from VHS to VHS and then copied to DVD - and yet I treasure them so much, because there are some performances that have never been released on DVD, that will never be broadcast again. Of course I'm happy about all those new recordings, the recorded ballet repertoire gets bigger with every DVD - but on the other hand, I watch recordings not for the quality of technology, but for the quality of the performance, and often as a benchmark for the interpretations of today. And if the picture on TV wobbles, it wobbles.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Angela said:

With all that talking about 4K UHD and Blue Ray I feel rather outdated with my veeery old ballet recordings, made some 20, 30 years ago with the old VHS recorder or carefully dubbed from VHS to VHS and then copied to DVD - and yet I treasure them so much, because there are some performances that have never been released on DVD, that will never be broadcast again. Of course I'm happy about all those new recordings, the recorded ballet repertoire gets bigger with every DVD - but on the other hand, I watch recordings not for the quality of technology, but for the quality of the performance, and often as a benchmark for the interpretations of today. And if the picture on TV wobbles, it wobbles.

Lets remember the big success for the 'Woolf Pack', showing how working in teams can achieve results, ending in resounding 'howls' of delight when John the 'Woolf' watcher spotted its arrival.

• Like 1

On 08/11/2018 at 07:14, Vanartus said:

Screams from Antwerp!!! Btw Akram’s Giselle overpoweringly wonderful here with the Ballett Vlaanderen. Act two about to start...

Which Giselle did you see please? 

3 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Which Giselle did you see please? 

Akram Khans Willis, the most creepy creatures you would wish not to meet. Certainly not an encounter for a lone male on a dark night. Nothing fluffy about these ladies, they mean business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

Akram Khans Willis, the most creepy creatures you would wish not to meet. Certainly not an encounter for a lone male on a dark night. Nothing fluffy about these ladies, they mean business.

Gosh Vanartus you said that without hitting your keyboard!!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Gosh Vanartus you said that without hitting your keyboard!!

Got to be quick, photons replicate faster than the speed of light.

• Like 1

Re who danced Giselle, I’m wracked with guilt and shame. I arrived just in time , was.up in the gods,  didn’t get a programme then, drink and sandwich took priority, and at the end not a programme seller or cast list in sight...I have failed miserably!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Vanartus said:

Re who danced Giselle, I’m wracked with guilt and shame. I arrived just in time , was.up in the gods,  didn’t get a programme then, drink and sandwich took priority, and at the end not a programme seller or cast list in sight...I have failed miserably!

If it was 7/11, it was Aki Saito. The other dates were by Nancy Osbaldeson and Juliet Burnett.

Programme :- https://www.operaballet.be/giselle

Theres no such thing as failure if you were just delayed.

Edited by Stevie
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Vanartus said:

Yes 7/11 it was, and indeed Ms Saito. She’s was wonderful. As was the whole cast.

I bet the sandwich and drink was wonderful as well.😅 Bad news from ENB is they say there is no intention to release the DVD.😢

Thanks all, Vanartus I was hoping you might have seen Juliet, one of "my" dancers.

Her last role with Australian Ballet was Maina Gielgud's Giselle, and I was stuck in an airport lounge at a country airport waiting for a plane to be repaired, only finally getting to Sydney as the curtain went up on the evening performance (Stella Abrera guesting). When Juliet then resigned I was even more devastated at how I'd spent my day.

I've given up flying the same day as a performance. Sydney is eight hours away by train and about the same if I'm driving (I have to stop and stretch!!), so no viable alternative to a delayed plane. Twice I have had to get changed in the back of an Uber en route from the airport to the Opera House, with a plane due to leave Albury at 1pm not leaving until nearly 6pm.

Edited by Sophoife
  • Like 1

The Stuttgart Ballet Onegin is now out on DVD and was in the shop at ROH yesterday in both normal and Blue Ray formats.

• Like 7

My copy of Onegin arrived on Saturday and I spent a wonderful afternoon with a bowl of fruit luxuriating in seeing a proper copy of one of my very favourite ballets.  OK, I have seen better casts over the years but Onegin himself at a distance was pretty reminiscent of Hugh Jackman which is always a plus.  As a counterbalance Lensky reminded me of Nick Clegg.

However, there was the unexpected bonus of seeing the greatest of all Tatianas, Marcia Haydee, appearing as her nurse.  This rather added to the sense of the ghosts I have seen in the role but, what the heck, there is no such thing as a bad Onegin on my view!

I do have a bootleg copy of Haydee from about 1975 which is an object lesson in how to play the role.  She wasn't Cranko's muse for no reason.  But any DVD of the ballet, even with a less than totally satisfactory cast, still offers many pleasures and it is great to have it, especially as we had all thought one would never appear.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

My copy of Onegin arrived on Saturday and I spent a wonderful afternoon with a bowl of fruit luxuriating in seeing a proper copy of one of my very favourite ballets.  OK, I have seen better casts over the years but Onegin himself at a distance was pretty reminiscent of Hugh Jackman which is always a plus.  As a counterbalance Lensky reminded me of Nick Clegg.

However, there was the unexpected bonus of seeing the greatest of all Tatianas, Marcia Haydee, appearing as her nurse.  This rather added to the sense of the ghosts I have seen in the role but, what the heck, there is no such thing as a bad Onegin on my view!

I do have a bootleg copy of Haydee from about 1975 which is an object lesson in how to play the role.  She wasn't Cranko's muse for no reason.  But any DVD of the ballet, even with a less than totally satisfactory cast, still offers many pleasures and it is great to have it, especially as we had all thought one would never appear.

I haven't seen this ballet, just the Opera, so look forward to giving it a try. I did try the ballet based on the same story, Tatiana, but it does not have the Tchaikovsky music, so I didn't rate it very highly.

47 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I haven't seen this ballet, just the Opera, so look forward to giving it a try. I did try the ballet based on the same story, Tatiana, but it does not have the Tchaikovsky music, so I didn't rate it very highly.

I think you're in for a real treat as you've never seen Onegin before - the 2015 Royal Ballet performances were fabulous and a great shame there was no cinema relay/filming.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I think you're in for a real treat as you've never seen Onegin before - the 2015 Royal Ballet performances were fabulous and a great shame there was no cinema relay/filming.

They were wonderful, weren't they?  I'm so hoping it's programmed for next season.

My DVD is in the post - I haven't seen this ballet since that run so I'm thrilled I'll finally be able to see it again!

• Like 3

On 10/11/2018 at 17:13, Stevie said:

I bet the sandwich and drink was wonderful as well.😅 Bad news from ENB is they say there is no intention to release the DVD.😢

No! Why stream it in cinemas then? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Anna C said:

No! Why stream it in cinemas then? 

Who knows, just quoting the reply when I asked them the question. It can be said that there have been many live streaming in cinema which didn't result in a DVD release. Could public response influence the outcome ?

15 hours ago, Stevie said:

Who knows, just quoting the reply when I asked them the question. It can be said that there have been many live streaming in cinema which didn't result in a DVD release. Could public response influence the outcome ?

15 hours ago, Stevie said:

Just found the response from ENB, Adam Lawford. He refers to the very high, up front investment for releasing DVD and Blu-ray. I suppose they have Market research capability and so have considered the potential returns as a risk. Even in this forum, some members have said they were interested in purchasing the Bernstein Centenary and some are not. I was wondering if anyone knows the size of this forum membership, if not the number of members who would invest in Akram Khan's Giselle on DVD.

Edited by Stevie

26 minutes ago, Stevie said:

the size of this forum membership

Stevie - the front page shows 5,056 members.  Don't think there's an easy answer to the second part of your question.

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

I was wondering if anyone knows the size of this forum membership, if not the number of members who would invest in Akram Khan's Giselle on DVD.

Additionally, the Forum is public so you don't have to join to be able to read it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

Just found the response from ENB, Adam Lawford. He refers to the very high, up front investment for releasing DVD and Blu-ray. I suppose they have Market research capability and so have considered the potential returns as a risk. Even in this forum, some members have said they were interested in purchasing the Bernstein Centenary and some are not. I was wondering if anyone knows the size of this forum membership, if not the number of members who would invest in Akram Khan's Giselle on DVD.

I did actually start a poll here, as a bit of free market research for ENB :)  , but I don't think enough people voted to make it worthwhile :( 

I wonder whether some sort of streaming is a possibility?  I was hugely disappointed that a number of cinemas showed it on a day where there was a major clash with a Royal Ballet performance, which, certainly in the London area, affected the turnout for the cinema.