Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

9 hours ago, alison said:

See what a sneaky marketing ploy this all is?  You release a new production as soon as it's premiered, then a few years down the line you release what you might call the "choreographer's cut" option, once the choreographer has made all the tweaks and major changes that he (and sorry, it usually is a he) wants, so people have to buy the new version too :)  Or not, of course.

"Or not" is the key, surely....your choice !  The more productions are available on DVD, the better, so we can enjoy these lovely performances for posterity. We berate the ROH when a production we love never appears on DVD, or is delayed.  

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're on the wrong thread ☺. If you're after a DVD of Woolf Works you are anyway. Try the thread Royal Ballet 2018/2019 new season wish list, page (is that the right word?) 15. Prepare to be amazed.

Edited by jmb

13 hours ago, alison said:

See what a sneaky marketing ploy this all is?  You release a new production as soon as it's premiered, then a few years down the line you release what you might call the "choreographer's cut" option, once the choreographer has made all the tweaks and major changes that he (and sorry, it usually is a he) wants, so people have to buy the new version too :)  Or not, of course.

Of course you are right. They know their marketing strategy very well and what the masses are looking for. Not long before we can expect the latest release of Swan Lake and I suppose I will go and buy it like everyone else, despite already having 13 alternative versions. The downside for me is that the release of an alternative sought after production may not be released because the budget has been spent on duplications. Nutcrackers, Sleeping Beauties and Swan Lakes, as good as they are, abound, where as the release of a blu-ray Manon, Woolf Works etc. are lost. So lets just hope that we get a release of the Bernstein Centenary. 

13 hours ago, MargaretN7 said:

If it is the 2017 cinema broadcast of Alice then it has James Hay as the White Rabbit. That sounds like a plus for me.

Edward Watson was great as the white rabbit, so not much of a plus I am afraid. But the choicer is yours. Better to have a choice than not you may say.

5 hours ago, jmb said:

You're on the wrong thread ☺. If you're after a DVD of Woolf Works you are anyway. Try the thread Royal Ballet 2018/2019 new season wish list, page (is that the right word?) 15. Prepare to be amazed.

Very sorry everyone. What I thought was a DVD was in fact a TV program. So unless anyone owns a TV station, it's  back to square one.

4 hours ago, Stevie said:

Edward Watson was great as the white rabbit, so not much of a plus I am afraid. But the choicer is yours. Better to have a choice than not you may say.

Yes, I already have the first DVD with Ed Watson as White Rabbit. I'll get this one as well, with James Hay who I thought was also great as White Rabbit. Each made it their own role in very different ways.

On 20/07/2018 at 00:25, alison said:

I was in the middle of recording it when my DVD recorder failed, so I've no idea whether it actually recorded or not :(   Plus I think I was watching something on another channel, so I never even got to see it ...

Alison. does failure of your DVD recorder mean that you couldn't even watch it if you had a copy. Otherwise you could use your influence as moderator to get someone to burn you a copy to disc.

13 hours ago, alison said:

I couldn't watch it on that DVD recorder, no.  And I don't think my "influence" as a moderator is either here or there ...

Did you manage to catch the live streaming in Cinema. The second act nearly brought the house down. If not, you really must get to see it. Don't sell yourself short, secure the means to watch it and I am sure there is someone out there who would help with the rest 😉.

Ha e just watched,the new Ashton DVD and it is about as near perfect as possible. All three ballets have perfect casts and of course M and A is stunning. I know many on the forum dislike it, I'm afraid I love it and the performances are so moving and exquisitely danced. Just out of interest, I would love to see it danced by young dancers - I know it wasn't Ashton's intention but it could be interesting.

• Like 4

I'm really looking forward to Symphonic Variations. I'd only seen it on YouTube before seeing this triple bill in the cinema, and was blown away by its impact on the big screen. I can see why Lydia Lopokova called Ashton "Frederick the Great" after seeing the first performance.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Melody said:

I'm really looking forward to Symphonic Variations. I'd only seen it on YouTube before seeing this triple bill in the cinema, and was blown away by its impact on the big screen.

And IMO seeing it live it has ten times the impact of the big screen version - if you ever have the opportunity, go!

I still can't help wishing they'd taken the opportunity to record the 2005 cast, though :(  They were scheduled to dance it 2 years later, when it was to be recorded as part of the Darcey Bussell farewell performance, but injuries meant that the cast we actually got, although still very good, wasn't the same.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

Europadisc has a special offer on ballet videos until the end of September. most DVds under £20, Blu Ray slightly more. unfortunately I bought my Ashton DVD before they put it on special offer! Serve me right for being enthusiastic.

Thanks, yes  they seem to have a good range available -  an advanced search of ballet/DVD lists 343 titles; many titles  look higher priced, normally, than other sources, but  there are currently about 65 on special offer....annoyingly including quite a few I got already, quite recently, including the Ashton one. But I will browse through to see if I can spend some more ballet funds....(£50 or more means no delivery cost).  

• Like 1

Richard, be patient when ordering. Don't pre-order, the prices start to drop after the release date. Check the market trends, you can see when prices are falling or rising. Keep an eye on the used market, I picked up blu-rays for 'Fille De Faroan'  for £2.45 and 'Giselle' (Nunez/Muntagirov) for £8 and plenty of other such deals. Anyone who wants 'Romeo & Juliet', Blu-Ray with Lauren Cuthbertson, available used for £6, or 'Spartacus' Blu-Ray with Carlos for £10 from CEX store online, usually delivered within two days. Current good offers include  'Nutcracker' - Weiner Staatsballet  Blu-ray at £3.55 and 'Chaplin' Leipziger Ballet Blu-Ray at £2.97, or C(h)oers Blu-Ray for £3.89, both New and Free P&P. They are Worldwide Multi Regional, from Rarewaves-United via ebay. Always takes about two weeks for delivery because they are imported, but very reliable. Call me cheap, but I'm from Derbyshire, where they would rather be 'dead than done'. However, by this means I have accumulated over 200 Ballets on DVD and Blu-Ray, which is most of what has been produced and never as yet paid as much as £20.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2018 at 15:43, Beryl H said:

I've just seen on Amazon that on 27 July a DVD/Blu-Ray of Ashton ballets will be released, I was thinking please let it be Daphnis and Chloe, but it's still pretty good, M and A with Yanovsky/Bolle, and The Dream and Symphonic Variations!

With nothing new on the horizon and nothing released by the Bolshoi or Mariinsky in recent years, with talk of financial problems, it is starting to look like a bleak Autumn on DVD. We could speculate that the next important release could be the Royal Ballet Bernstein Triple Bill around March 2019 ? With no ballet on TV last Christmas, can we hope for one this Christmas and if so, could it be Alice's. Northern ballet say they have no plans to release anything following '1984', but then qualify by saying they never had plans to release '1984' either. So could they release Casanova, previously shown by Sky Arts. English National have not released anything on DVD since Le Corsair and when I asked about Giselle, provided a response about the high production costs, which I took to mean 'doubtful'. Still we have the new live season coming up soon and the Cinema season kicking in soon, with Australia's Merry Widow on 21st September. Some good looking UK tours coming up from English National Ballet, Northern Ballet Birmingham Royal, Scottish Ballet, an interesting one from English Youth Ballet and Opera North including The Rite of Spring with an Opera double bill.

for Royal Ballet release of Bernstein triple Bill

• Like 1

On 02/08/2018 at 23:01, Sharon said:

My Ashton DVD arrived today and I immediately watched Symphonic Variations - I've waited forever to have this on DVD, this utterly beautiful ballet and with this divine cast - I'm in heaven......

I have not ordered this DVD (yet). Besides Nunez and Muntagirov can you tell me who else is dancing in Symphonic Variations Sharon? 

11 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

I have not ordered this DVD (yet). Besides Nunez and Muntagirov can you tell me who else is dancing in Symphonic Variations Sharon? 

Stevie - AKA Sharon - beat me to it 😉

Edited by Sharon
Spelling

1 hour ago, Colman said:

My Ashton Blu-ray arrived the other day and I have, sadly, concluded that it's worth paying the extra for Blu-ray. <sigh> Another money sink.

Your conclusion is a valid one, a Blu-Ray can carry 20 times more Data than a DVD. In addition, most of the Performing Arts DVD's are released in the lower definition NTSC format as apposed to PAL. 

17 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Your conclusion is a valid one, a Blu-Ray can carry 20 times more Data than a DVD. In addition, most of the Performing Arts DVD's are released in the lower definition NTSC format as apposed to PAL. 

Yes, I know the technical argument, I was just sort of hoping it didn't make enough difference to the viewing experience to be worth the extra cost. 

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

I have to agree too.  I have only had Blu-Ray for all the new ballet issues of the past couple of years.  If it is a historic performance DVD is as good as it gets which is probably why so few are issued in both formats.

I am also regretful to have to admit the Blu-Ray does make a difference for modern recordings.

46 minutes ago, Colman said:

Yes, I know the technical argument, I was just sort of hoping it didn't make enough difference to the viewing experience to be worth the extra cost. 

The experience depends on the screen size as well as the digital or film quality. From 42" upwards, the picture quality becomes much less forgiving  and the benefits of Blu-Ray grow exponentially as the screen size gets bigger. The Ashton DVD is NTSC, not the European PAL and with this format it often appears that you are viewing the performance through a net. If you have a blu-ray player, then stick with blu-rays. If someone has a 29" TV, then the difference is hardly noticeable. Blu-ray players are now very cheap and some examples in a previous note, show that blu-ray discs are often cheaper than the DVD equivalents. Suggestions only, its your free choice.

• Like 1

I have the Ashton Blu-Ray and think it is a particularly good recording,  Symphonic Variations was very brightly lit anyway, but the other two ballets look exceptionally clear too, I can also hear the girls' pointe shoes in The Dream too which is unusual these days, and is like actually being at the ballet.

I must have watched SV almost every night since I bought it, making up for lost time, I particularly like watching Yuhui Choe in this ballet!

• Like 3