Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

I've just seen on Amazon that on 27 July a DVD/Blu-Ray of Ashton ballets will be released, I was thinking please let it be Daphnis and Chloe, but it's still pretty good, M and A with Yanovsky/Bolle, and The Dream and Symphonic Variations!

• Like 13

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26/06/2018 at 15:43, Beryl H said:

I've just seen on Amazon that on 27 July a DVD/Blu-Ray of Ashton ballets will be released, I was thinking please let it be Daphnis and Chloe, but it's still pretty good, M and A with Yanovsky/Bolle, and The Dream and Symphonic Variations!

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 12.16.26 am.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Two Pigeons said:

I have finally found this on Amazon and pre-ordered mine.

Many thanks for the 'heads up' warning.

It's very hot and my brain is fuzzy but I can't find the pre-order link.  Can anyone help please? 😩

26 minutes ago, Anna C said:

It's very hot and my brain is fuzzy but I can't find the pre-order link.  Can anyone help please? 😩

Blu-ray

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ashton-Ballets-Various-OABD7240D-Blu-ray/dp/B07DSJ678R/ref=tmm_blu_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1530448983&sr=1-1

DVD 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ashton-Ballets-Various-Opus-OA1264D/dp/B07DSJ666F/ref=tmm_dvd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1530448983&sr=1-1

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

One worthy entry to any wish list is the Ballet DVD,  'Eve Ruggieri Raconte Carmina Burana - Carl Orf'. I don't know of another Ballet version on DVD, although the Birmingham Royal Ballet, David Bintley production, is very good live, but no DVD. I purchased from ebayfr. for under £10, with unbelievable next day delivery from France to UK. It is performed by the National Opera Ballet and Orchestra of the Ukraine. You can see my review on Amazon.

Eve Ruggieri Raconte Carmina Burana Carl Orff

• Like 1

On 01/07/2018 at 23:55, Vanartus said:

Any update on Woolf Works DVD?

I have it on my hard drive, from BBCTV Broadcast. Royal ballet were supposed to have  sold rights to independent distributor so can't advise. It looks extremely doubtful that it will now be released. The trail is cold.

I was in the middle of recording it when my DVD recorder failed, so I've no idea whether it actually recorded or not :(   Plus I think I was watching something on another channel, so I never even got to see it ...

30 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

There must be some sort of curse on Woolf Works. I recorded it on my hard disc, then transferred it to DVD and somehow managed to lose a chunk of Act2, so I don't get to see Eric Underwood in his gold outfit!

Oh dear, we can't have that.....a snap from my own recording

29664070838_57a4919eb8_o.jpg

• Like 3

On 20/07/2018 at 00:25, alison said:

I was in the middle of recording it when my DVD recorder failed, so I've no idea whether it actually recorded or not :(   Plus I think I was watching something on another channel, so I never even got to see it ...

Well that's what friends are for. But a really good friend would have send you a copy on disc. 😈

• Like 1

Looks like two more ballet releases are coming up. 

A new recording of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" on August 31st https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FS6YQ53/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A recording of Paris Opera Ballet dancing Alexander Ekman's "Play" on September 14th  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FSFPF9P/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

47 minutes ago, barton22 said:

Looks like two more ballet releases are coming up. 

A new recording of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" on August 31st https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FS6YQ53/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A recording of Paris Opera Ballet dancing Alexander Ekman's "Play" on September 14th  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FSFPF9P/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The earlier recording has Zenaida Yanowsky as 'The Queen of Hearts'. As good as she is, Laura Morera, nor anyone else, was never going to have the perfect comedy timing of the role. So if you don't have a version, buy the earlier version with Zanaida, she made this role her own. Apart from that role its pretty equal. I have the earlier one and having seen the later version in Cinema, can categorically say that  it brings nothing new

5 minutes ago, alison said:

This looks as though it was the version broadcast last year, which presumably means it's the 3-act version rather than the original version, so there is that difference.

The upcoming August release is the version broadcast in Cinema last year. The previous two cinema streamings had Sarah Lamb and Lauren Cuthbertson  as Alice. The previous and better DVD/Blu-Ray release had Lauren as Alice, as does the forthcoming release. The previous release is the one to buy. It also has Sergei Polunin, Zenaida Yanowsky and a comedy cameo appearance from the actor Simon Russell Beale as the Duchess.

See what a sneaky marketing ploy this all is?  You release a new production as soon as it's premiered, then a few years down the line you release what you might call the "choreographer's cut" option, once the choreographer has made all the tweaks and major changes that he (and sorry, it usually is a he) wants, so people have to buy the new version too :)  Or not, of course.