Anyone else here a tennis fan?

Fiz

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got very lucky yesterday, seeing Murray, Garcia, Mladenovic, Brown and various others. I had  good seat on CC for the Bouchard v Konta match and what an absolute cracker that was.  Bouchard was back on the same kind of fast, aggressive form that made her such an exciting new face a couple of years ago, before she completely lost the plot. She seems to have gained mental toughness to add to her athleticism; let's hope it lasts..  I understand there was some controversy about her rather short and transparent Nike dress, so I took about a hundred photos for analysis and have managed to convince myself that it was fine  ;)

_DSC6613.jpg

• Like 2

That floaty dress reminds me of those baby doll nightdresses they wore in films in the 60s.  I think there is a film with someone like Britt Ekland wearing one?

I don't dislike it.  I think all the white outfits look rather nice, and certainly present an air of calmness, which is a relief after the herd of zebra that thundered across the French Open Courts. 

(Edited to add what is the plural of zebra? In my mind I think of it the same way as sheep, but i've got a feeling it might be zebras)

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

That floaty dress reminds me of those baby doll nightdresses they wore in films in the 60s.  I think there is a film with someone like Britt Ekland wearing one?

I don't dislike it.  I think all the white outfits look rather nice, and certainly present an air of calmness, which is a relief after the herd of zebras that thundered across the French Open Courts. 

I wonder if you are thinking of Susannah York in The Killing of Sister George?

• Like 1

Well, quite a few of the women players are wearing that dress as well.  I rather like it, although I assumed it had an opaque layer somewhere underneath the floaty one.

I think it's nice too. It looks cool and easy to play in. The ladies seem to be wearing shorts and a crop top underneath.

I think it's nice too. It looks cool and easy to play in. The ladies seem to be wearing shorts and a crop top underneath

It's doubtless cool, as it seemed to spend much of its time above her waist.  Not a dress for the shy and retiring, and I'm not entirely sure Wimbledon is yet ready for the floaty bikini look.  Not being a total cad, I won't be publishing my photos illustrating that - but not being a total gentleman either, neither shall I be deleting them  :D.     

On the subject of photos, Caro Garcia 'liked' the ones I took of her and put on Instagram, it's always gratifying when that happens.  I did have a slightly surreal moment at bag check, as the guard was trying to insist my lens was too big - despite it being a 200mm, and the non-pros limit being 300mm.

I find that amazing Quintus, so I could take a 300mm f2.8 lens into the arena?

Yes, in theory at least.  My 200 is a 2.8, hence pretty large, and I guess it was the size that made them query it.  I think last time I went the wording was vaguer, more like 'non professional equipment' but this time they specified 300mm.  In reality 300 is still not enough to get you good sharp shots from most seats in CC; I had a teleconverter on getting me 280mm on an FX camera from about a third of the way up the seats, and still had to crop up from a relatively small part of the frame.  The pros are all festooned with 400mm whoppers and sitting bang on the court edge...

Edited by Quintus

I am hugely entertained by the Gentlemen's Senior Invitational Doubles which are currently on the BBC's Red Button service. Sadly, I missed Mansour Bahrami's match on Monday morning, but the Haarhuis/Eltingh vs Casal/Sanchez match on now is hilarious. :-)

• Like 1

The most galling thing is that he was well in control - and Raonic struggling - in the 4th set until he threw that last game away from 40-0 up with 2 double faults and whatever else it was. By rights they should have gone into a tiebreak, and then who knows what might have happened?

I only hope he hasn't actually injured himself with that fall. I was listening to the 5th set on the radio, and the commentators said he seemed not to have any spring in his legs any more after it, but whether that was just tiredness, or worse, I don't know :(

I can't help thinking that a Murray-Federer final would probably have been more interesting. Oh well, go Andy!

• Like 2

I couldn't help but wonder,when Andy walked out on to the Court ,that he might have well been thinking, with Djokovich [Can't spell it]and now Federer gone the title was his for the taking, as long as he did nothing reckless. But maybe they don't allow themselves to think like that, I don't know.

The most galling thing is that he was well in control - and Raonic struggling - in the 4th set until he threw that last game away from 40-0 up with 2 double faults and whatever else it was. By rights they should have gone into a tiebreak, and then who knows what might have happened?I only hope he hasn't actually injured himself with that fall. I was listening to the 5th set on the radio, and the commentators said he seemed not to have any spring in his legs any more after it, but whether that was just tiredness, or worse, I don't know :(I can't help thinking that a Murray-Federer final would probably have been more interesting. Oh well, go Andy!

More interesting, definitely, but as tricky for me as when Wales play England at Rugby - I'm so torn! At least on Sunday I can be behind Andy all the way. :-)

• Like 2

I had something in my eye when Federer left Centre Court. :-(

And during his press conference. And when he was filmed leaving Wimbledon with his wife and mother - courteous to the last with handshakes and little waves.

He is often described as the greatest tennis player of all time but, for me, he is has also been (for a very long time) the greatest sports figure in the world.

• Like 6

For the first time for ages, I did not watch the semi-finals as I was at the allergy clinic yesterday. I was furious that I had managed to book that day. My favourite nurse who normally treats me is a Scot and we were both sorry to be missing them. We are not allowed to use our phones in the clinic so it wasn't till I was on my way home that I was able to catch up with the tennis via Twitter. I was sorry to see that Federer was in a bad position and even sorrier to see that he had fallen badly. He is a true gentleman and an excellent ambassador for tennis.

• Like 2

I still don't understand what happened to Federer.  However, I thought he looked a little more sluggish this Wimbledon than he usually is, and he wasn't moving as well. 

I've always said that if Raonic is the future of tennis, then I am going to stop watching.  I dislike the Big Booming Unreturnable Ace style of play, never enjoyed watching Sampras for the same reason. 

• Like 3

My reading, from what I've picked up, is simply that his lack of match fitness was showing in back-to-back 5-setters, and he was getting tired, which maybe led to the trip. Don't forget he's only just coming back from a back injury seemingly caused by adjustments made to protect the knee he had surgery on earlier in the year (and which was the one he may have injured again in the fall). As he's been saying all tournament, he was quite expecting to get knocked out early on, so it's a bonus that he even made it to the semis anyway - he was probably only a maximum 90% fit, based on what he said a few weeks ago, and his movement has certainly suffered - I've noticed him lunging for balls more over the last few weeks, rather than using his feet to get there, and that can't have helped. As I've said before, time to incorporate some ballet into his training.

• Like 4

It's particularly great given Heather's earlier beating-up of herself over her early singles loss.  Win or lose (and I hope it'll be the former), I hope this'll be a big boost to her confidence.

• Like 3

It's particularly great given Heather's earlier beating-up of herself over her early singles loss.  Win or lose (and I hope it'll be the former), I hope this'll be a big boost to her confidence.

Me too. She's such a gifted doubles player.

• Like 3