Anyone else here a tennis fan?

Fiz

I gather Rafa Nadal is out of Wimbledon due to illness and presumably, Sharapova due to her ban. I suppose that means we will be spared the underwear adjusting and even better, the screeching, screaming Maria. I really can't abide her noise.

I love Sharapova's shrieks!   I think it's all part of her arsenal of psychological weapons; a friend of ours who played her on tour told us about how Sharapova would try to psych out other players behind the scenes as well as on court..

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Sharapova's shrieks!   I think it's all part of her arsenal of psychological weapons; a friend of ours who played her on tour told us about how Sharapova would try to psych out other players behind the scenes as well as on court..

What did she used to do?  Apart from take drugs, that is....

I heard the BBC is not doing the after play chat show again. It was a dumbed down disaster as I recall.

Thank goodness for that.  I wrote to the BBC and complained about Wimbledon2day(or whatever it was called), and got a reply along the lines of "we are gearing it towards a wider audience, some of whom do not know much about tennis."  Well, they would have been none the wiser after watching that pile of rubbish.  What is wrong with excerpts of various matches, followed by discussion and analysis by ex players?  It is good enough for football.  

• Like 2

Thank goodness for that.  I wrote to the BBC and complained about Wimbledon2day(or whatever it was called), and got a reply along the lines of "we are gearing it towards a wider audience, some of whom do not know much about tennis."  Well, they would have been none the wiser after watching that pile of rubbish.  What is wrong with excerpts of various matches, followed by discussion and analysis by ex players?  It is good enough for football.  

Ha ha! I like your style. Apparently the drugs thing was not her fault though, it was of course, somebody else's fault. There has certainly been barely suppressed glee in some of the interviews with other women tennis players about the drugs ban. One I won't name, pointed out - and I agree with her - that ultimately, it is the player's responsibility to make sure they are up to date with rules and regs. They only further diminish themselves by trying to pass the buck. Just admit it, take the rap and then everybody back on the bus, as the saying goes.

As for the embarrassment that was Wimbledon 2Day, or W2Day or whatever2Day, no doubt they will replace it with something equally dumb, if that is even possible. The reply you received does not surprise me. The BBC doesn't seem to be responsive to any sort of criticism. 

As for the shrieking and various tactics some players use when they are losing and want to put their opponent off their game - did McEnroe start this unfortunate trend or has it always gone on -  I don't know how some of the more blatant examples are allowed to get away with it. I remember his tantrums were quite funny at first, showing off like a big baby had amusement and shock value that an adult could behave like that in public.  As it went on, one realised this behaviour signified something else entirely and I lost any respect for him as a player. Play fair and win on your own merit or get off I say.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 2

Apparently while waiting to go out on court she'd get right up close to her opponent, lock eyes and just stare her down, while refusing to say a word.  Not a bundle of fun!

Apparently while waiting to go out on court she'd get right up close to her opponent, lock eyes and just stare her down, while refusing to say a word.  Not a bundle of fun!

She does that sort of thing on court too, from what I can recall, when she is waiting to return serve. There is a bit of messing about with her back to her opponent, fiddling with her racket strings while we wait for her to be ready. Then she turns, gets into position and just stares straight at the server. I realise she needs to concentrate but that stare must be unnerving to the uninitiated. 

Wonder how she would get on with Sir Phillip? :angry:

• Like 1

When the meldonium thing came out, it quickly became apparent that she wasn't very popular on the women's tour ...  But yes, I still don't know how you can miss multiple emails about a change to banned drugs, throughout the autumn.  They must happen every year - I'd have thought you'd make sure you checked if you were taking anything whatsoever.  In her place, I'd be so paranoid that I'd make sure they were being sent to at least 4 email addresses, including my coach and agent, as well.  But then, her coach and agent didn't appear to know she was taking it anyway.

By the way, going back to the impressions thing, there was a video released on YouTube the other day of a guy called Josh somebody who does impressions of tennis players.  He's *very* good - and his Andy Murray especially!

• Like 1

Currently watching Bouchard v Radwanska on TV and what appears to a promising return to form for Eugenie Bouchard (though I doubt she'll win).  I saw her in the finals at Wimbledon a few years ago since when she's been a disaster on court and spent too much time taking selfies off court.  I like her style of play, and I'd rather watch someone playing aggressively and losing, than someone who wins by methodically hacking back from the baseline.

• Like 1

I like Bouchard, but I have always enjoyed watching Radwanska play.  An intelligent player, who has a great ability to adapt to any situation, and does not rely on brute strength to win.  And neither of those players grunt, either.  Always a plus in my book.Actually there has been a distinct lack of grunting at Eastbourne (at least from the matches I have seen so far.) 

I was watching Konta v Kvitova on the red button, but the BBC seems to have developed a technical problem, and I am staring at a fixed screen.  Funny, these things don't seem to happen when the men are  playing.  :angry:

Edited by Fonty

I definitely thought Radwanska was grunting yesterday, along with her opponent.  I was surprised, because I thought she was a non-grunter.  It wasn't loud, and it certainly wasn't disruptive like, say, Sharapova, but I did notice it.

And has anyone else spotted the story about the British men's No. 23 - I think his name is Marcus Willis? - who beat a top-100 player in the first round of the qualifying for Wimbledon?!  Admittedly, the other guy's ranking must have been around 100, because otherwise he'd have qualified for the tournament on the basis of his ranking, and not had to play the qualification tournament.

Yes, I did see that about Willis, Alison.  What struck me is that he is still playing at the age of 25, when he is ranked 700 and something in the world.  I don't know much about him, but that is quite old to be stuck down in the lowest ranks and playing in the Futures tournaments.  I don't know what the prize money is like for those, but he must be struggling to cover his costs. 

I saw a report that said he'd been playing team tennis in France and Germany.  I don't know what the financial implications of that are, but presumably there's some income to be had from it.

I guess Roger Federer isn't the only one to play it because he loves the game ...

Believe me, Fonty, if you're sitting in the front row of Centre Court and Nadal's right in front of you, you notice it!  (It was a resale ticket, BTW - I'm not that rich!)  And IIRC his opponent, Robin Söderling, was taking the mickey (unless that's just one of those "tennis legends" which has grown up since the event :) )

You don't neccessarily have to be rich alison, you just need to know the contacts. My son will be on the Center court rails for the mens final, and he's certainly not what I would call rich by todays standards.

No, but three figures is more than I can pay for anything.  And anyway, right at the moment I'm not sure I can drum up the interest.

Ah, well I go along with you on that one alison. Personally I wouldn't go if you paid me three figures, I can understand those that would mind.

And has anyone else spotted the story about the British men's No. 23 - I think his name is Marcus Willis? - who beat a top-100 player in the first round of the qualifying for Wimbledon?!  Admittedly, the other guy's ranking must have been around 100, because otherwise he'd have qualified for the tournament on the basis of his ranking, and not had to play the qualification tournament.

My goodness - he's actually made it through to the main draw! How marvellous for him. I can't decide whether I wish him a big match on an exhibition court, or a draw where he might actually win a match :)

• Like 1

Great, wasn't it! What a treat. I was quite emotional when he won!

Like taxi, the only time my tv will be on for the next fortnight will be during play. I was really looking forward to watching Murray tomorrow but he's on second - right when I have a hospital appontment! Pah.

We've got Centre Court on Thursday.  Most of the players I like to watch are however already out or excluded  - Sharapova, Ivanovic, Robson, Bouchard.  Fingers crossed Garcia survives that far.

Edited by Quintus

My view yesterday

Nice one. I swore at the Queen when I was about twelve. Not deliberately, it just came out. She was due to open the new GMEX  Centre [Greater Manchester Exhibition Centre] and I had waited early on that morning to get a good view. She walked right past me. She wasn't looking at me though; if you can imagine,she was looking ahead of herself,not with her neck crained directly to her right at a severe angle !!  I was so surprised that she looked exactly the same as she did on TV that as she passed me I said, not realising it was as loud as it obviously was, "Oh S***". She must have heard me anyway. She looked straight at me and smiled. My claim to fame for years after was that I swore at the Queen !

• Like 2

Thoroughly enjoyed the Willis match yesterday.  It could easily have been a 3 set whitewash by Federer, but although Willis was overawed in the first set, he pulled himself together later on.  The result was as expected, but there were some entertaining shots and rallies, and Feddie had to do a bit more than just stand there and watch Marcus lose. 

• Like 3

Thoroughly enjoyed the Willis match yesterday.  It could easily have been a 3 set whitewash by Federer, but although Willis was overawed in the first set, he pulled himself together later on.  The result was as expected, but there were some entertaining shots and rallies, and Feddie had to do a bit more than just stand there and watch Marcus lose.

Great, wasn't it. Such a wonderful atmosphere. Willis has such a great personality and I loved how Federer let Willis walk on first, and waited for him so they left court together after the match.

• Like 2