Fiz

Anyone else here a tennis fan?

He is always very humble when he wins.  But if he loses, it is never because the other person played better than he did!

Anyway, we all have our favourites, in the tennis world as well as the ballet world.  I can admire Federer's grace and style, I simply prefer other players.  I don't care much for Djokovic either, because of his on court antics.  Perfectly legal, the other players shouldn't let it get to them, but it just annoys me every time he does it.  A player of his talent shouldn't have to resort to that sort of gamesmanship.  

I feel I must say kudos to Sloane Stephens: out of the game for 11 months due to a foot injury, world ranking dropped well into the 900s as late as July, plays and does well in two tournaments prior to the US Open, then goes and wins the whole thing, and up to about no. 17 in the world.  Just shows you should never give up.

Unfortunately, the men's tournament has been an absolute joke from beginning to end, so I think I'll draw a veil over that one.

I think the US Open has been the most peculiar one I have seen in a long time for both the men and the women.  We are used to the female seeds dropping like flies in the early rounds, so I shouldn't be surprised.  But given that Serena Williams is out of the competition, this was a real chance for some of the other top 10 seeds to grasp the opportunity.  Instead, it was the lower ranked players who came through, and well done Sloane.  

As for the men, again, good for Anderson for making his first final, even if the bottom half of the draw was rather lacking in quality players.  The two bright spots were the fact that Del Potro is playing at a good level again.  I've always liked him, and thought it was so sad that he has had to cope with all those injuries.  He should have had at least 3 grand slams under his belt by now, if not more.  And of course, wonderful to see Rafa having a good year, after the mediocre ones he has had for the past 3 years.

This really is appalling. :o  What were the organisers thinking?  Getting male tennis players to pick a girl, who has the letter of their group hidden somewhere on their body?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/41883462

Do you think they would suggest the same thing for young female tennis players?  Would they get a male model to remove his shirt, or unzip his trousers to reveal which group they are playing in?  

How unbelievably crass.

It is bad enough but in the current climate I can't believe the organisers didn't realise that this was utterly inappropriate.

Yes, I saw that this morning and was rather dumfounded especially, as Jan says, in the current climate.  As the hashtag says...... #backtozero !!

Possibly the "current climate" is not so much to the forefront in Italy as it is here (and in the US)?

Major congratulations to Filip Krajinovic (I hope I've spelled that correctly) for working his way to the final of a Masters 1000 tournament from such a lowly position (I think he was somewhere below 75th in the world - and he had been in the 200s, I think).  He did beat the 9th and 10th seeds on the way, I see.

Greatly saddened to hear of the death yesterday, at the age of only 49, of Jana Novotna, from cancer.  Wimbledon Ladies' Singles Champion of 1998, runner-up on two previous occasions, and winner or runner-up on numerous occasions in the doubles there, she is probably still best known, in the UK at least, for breaking down in tears on the shoulder of the Duchess of Kent after failing to win the Singles title on her first attempt.  Always a lovely player to watch, and by all accounts a lovely person to boot :(

I remember it very well. Apparently the Duchess of Kent has said on Twitter how sad she is about Jana’s death and I am too. She was barely middle aged. RIP and my condolences to her family and friends.

Edited by Fiz
Missing words

I saw this on the BBC, and it made me laugh.  It is a good thing Andy Murray is standing next to it, or I would never have guessed.  

Some people have suggested it looks like Jose Mourinho, but my first thought was Anthony Dowell!

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/andy-murray-of-great-britain-poses-for-photographers-at-the-unvieling-picture-id129031254

Edited by Fonty

That's as bad as the one of Ronaldo in Madeira!   This one looks more like Colin Firth dressed as an armadillo! Surely this is a spoof?  That racquet looks like it might be photo shopped?  

According to the BBC, it was used to promote the Shanghai Masters 2011.  I can't find any other statues from that tournament, but here are some from another one in Shanghai.  I think those are a bit more recognisable.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vi6FBd9cLtQ/TWn1h6Xp8SI/AAAAAAAAAss/zd74hACLoNA/s1600/federer-nadal-djokovic-statues.jpg

Edited to add I've just noticed the picture has Madrid on it.  Not sure why they are depicted in that get up for a Spanish tournament.

Edited by Fonty