Over splits

tomuchtallent

I am sure that it has been said before but being able to do an over split does not make you a good dancer and I hope above all hope that one can be a good dancer without being able to achieve this.

I worry that the more it is said how impressive/ important it is to achieve this, the more young people will try and do it, and risk injuring themselves in the process.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just been looking at Dance Direct's Facebook page and saw a photo which made me think of this thread. If you're on FB,have a look. It's a photo of 4 girls in white leotards at the barre. My personal opinion is probably unprintable, but see what you all think.

Edited by Pups_mum
  • Like 1

I've hesitated to get involved in the oversplits debate but can't help but feel the question has been lost in a debate about aesthetics, so I'll not give my opinion on oversplits in performance but just the facts on current training, If your dancer has professional aspirations then flexibility, strength, musicality, physique and vocabulary will all play a part, achieving the oversplit will not automatically gain you a place in a vocational school but I have seen girls at all the top senior schools here in the UK stretched like this RBS, ENB, Elmhurst, Central and RCS.

T.

• Like 3

Aha, well that makes more sense. It still doesn't look all that safe but at least they are gymnasts.

I would say that the world of the gymnast also has gone to extremes. Ditto ice skating, modeling, etc.

• Like 2

I've hesitated to get involved in the oversplits debate but can't help but feel the question has been lost in a debate about aesthetics, so I'll not give my opinion on oversplits in performance but just the facts on current training, If your dancer has professional aspirations then flexibility, strength, musicality, physique and vocabulary will all play a part, achieving the oversplit will not automatically gain you a place in a vocational school but I have seen girls at all the top senior schools here in the UK stretched like this RBS, ENB, Elmhurst, Central and RCS.

T.

When you say that you have seen girls at all the schools "stretched like this" do you mean in over splits or in the back bend position in he photograph that has been talked about?

Hi Jellybeans,

Over splits, not the back bend in the picture while I have seen some amazing back bends in ballet classes, I think this particular stretch is still in the domain of Rhythmic and artistic gymnasts.

T.

• Like 1