Hammond Summer School

Balletmad97

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of this. I understand there is a boarding house, do the children eat in here or at the school? Do they go on any outings or trips? What is the teaching like? Just sent off our application form and wanted to know if anyone had been to it before.

Hi

My dd has been before and has absolutely loved it. Some of the meals are taken at school and some at the boarding house. The meals are very good, and my dd is a picky eater, but has had no problem with what they fed her. The year dd attended, they went swimming one night and also went for a Macdonalds one night. We have found the teaching to be very good, at the same standard as the school as the teachers from the school are the ones giving the classes. My dd had an absolute ball when she went and she will be going again this summer. You can always pm me if you want any more info or if your dd doesn't know anyone and wants my dd's name. My dd is 13.

Balletmad97 and sodor have you seen the schedule for the summer school? Would you mind saying what the leaflet etc says they will be doing? They haven't sent any leaflets to the associates and ds may be interested....

Or fancandance2 :rolleyes: - cross posted with you!

Edited by amum/Cathy

Hi

My younger dd attended the summer school a couple of years ago to give her a taste of boarding...........the only other info I can recall to that of Famcandance is at the end of the week they gave a short performance in the theatre ,it was lovely to see all the children were really enjoying performing.

My dd came on leaps and bounds after only one week of the teaching at Hammond.......she hasn't done any other residential SS so I have nothing to compare it with .

Sodor my elder dd doesn't like the food but I am inclined to believe your husband!!!!!

• Like 1

They have changed the menus at dd's current school so when dh comes hone with tales of three course dinners of carrot and coriander soup roast dinner & veg and jelly she thinks it's not fair she has to endure yet another strange chicken concoction and run out of puddings!

She is thinking of applying to do drama but I'm not convinced. She would have to give up her dance on the drama course (from what I can gather there would be no opportunity for her to continue that ESP as they do sat morning acting classes on the drama strand and dd adores her dance.

If we had the money and lived closer she would be happiest on a more all round musical theatre course. She is a good dancer, but not exceptional. She is an all rounder at the moment.

• Like 1

Just like to add that my dd had to go to another summer school last year because of lack on interest and lack of numbers for the Hammond one. Although she had a good time, she really didn't learn much and after seeing the "performance" at the end of the week, I felt the teaching lacked a lot. I won't name the place as I might be contravening rules, but if you want to know, pm me. All I am saying is the I feel Hammond give great value for money and the children not only have a great time, but they also learn a lot.

Does anybody who has been to the summer school before know how the accomodation works. Do students share twin rooms, are their single rooms or does it take the form of a dormitory? Also is there a shared bathroom? or is it ensuite to the rooms? So many questions, I'm just interested really. We've never boarded before.

The younger students stay in dorms. The older ones usually have 2 in a room. Boys also usually have 2 in a room. They try to keep them with their age group and I know my dd had great fun, she was in a dorm of 6 and I don't know how much sleep they got! The bathrooms are shared although some rooms have their own. Ask away, I don't mind answering any queries.

• 2 months later...

dd has just had a wonderful week at the Hammond ss. it was lovely to see the performance this afternoon and great to see different dancers shine in different disciplines. I particularly enjoyed the street dance section and my classical dd "dancing with attitude"!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Dd & I went to watch the summer school performance on Friday.

I was so impressed by what I saw. Especially noticeable was a young boy in the youngest group, he was fabulous in Captain Louie.

Tea Party was fabulous, especially the girl who played Mad Hatter. I had previously seen the same dance performed by the Hammond grads at the end of year show. These dancers performed the same choreography, not simplified at all & I know the teacher was very very impressed with the performance.

There was a tall blonde girl who was fantastic to watch in all styles. Such talent. She has a great future.

• Like 2

My DC have attended Hammond Summer School for the past 2 years and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. 

The classes seem to be a good mixture of fun and hard work, but not too intense. They learn and rehearse a group dance in each style ready for performance on the final day, and are encouraged to support eachother.  I cannot speak highly enough of the quality of the experience and would recommend to any aspiring dancer / performer.

I watched the performance on Friday too Pictures, and yes I agree there was some fabulous talent on the stage and they all seemed to be having a ball!