Dance festivals with a broken wrist

Moka

Hi all, unfortunately my daughter broke a small bone in her wrist yesterday and is due to dance in a festival next week.  It's not the all England semis, but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this?  I have checked the rules and nothing is mentioned, she is very keen to dance and doesn't want to let her parnters or groups down.  She isn't in pain, I've told her it is up to her and her friends and teachers just want her to be better but she is determined, I'm just worried that the organisers may stop her.  Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks x

I have seen a couple of girls dancing with their wrists in casts at festivals recently. One young lady had managed to get her cast in a colour almost identical to her tutu which I thought demonstrated great foresight! As long as she feels well enough and obviously doesn't do anything daft like attempt cartwheels on the damaged hand, I can't see any reason why it should be a problem. Hope it all heals up quickly, and good luck with the festival.

• Like 2

Ha ha Pups_mum, funnily enough she does have a cartwheel which I think we will change to a leap, but I did say she could just learn to do an aerial before next week!!  Too much do you think?? :)

• Like 3

My daughter has danced a full festival (9 solos and 5 duets/trios) with a sprained wrist all strapped up and no-one commented - she changed her cartwheels to one handed ones! I have also seen dancers in casts take part - no-one has ever commented. I guess if you are concerned you could contact the organisers? Good luck to your DD at the festival!

• Like 1

Festivals are unlikely to have anything in their rules regarding this as it is up to parents, dancers, teachers, medical advise etc but I have often seen broken arms in festivals and indeed winning. If there is no pain and cartwheels etc can be changed for leaps then go for it and continue to have fun!!

Heather

Aka Taximom

ive had a few friends who have competed with casts on thier arms and won despite of this- the adjudicators dont tend to mind unless its obviously prohibiting performance- as for the ariel id say dont let her attempt this as if something goes wrong or she slips on the flooring then she will automatically put her arms down as a reflex, cast or no cast so will be at a much higher risk of injury, its definitely not worth it, just add a lovely lead or turn in intsead!

Not dancing experience but when ds was 7 and broke his wrist they advised no contact sports for the safety of the others! He did football training (after checking no parents objected to their child potentially getting clobbered with a plaster cast) but wasn't allowed to play matches due to the insurance. I've seen a few arms in plaster at festivals.

Thanks all, she is very much looking forward to it, I think the pressure is well and truly off now, I'll let you know how it goes.  Don't worry, I was only joking about the aerial!!

• Like 2

Thanks all, she is very much looking forward to it, I think the pressure is well and truly off now, I'll let you know how it goes.  Don't worry, I was only joking about the aerial!!

Oh good! Just making sure because I've seen quite a few young kids attempting turns and leaps and tricks that they had obviously seen on dance moms and hadn't been taught and slotted into thier moden solo!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just wanted to say thank you for all the advice.  My dd danced beautifully in the festival last week, gaining many top three positions and quite trankly danced the best I've seen her.  The adjudicator didn't mention her wrist for a long time, then asked if the cast was heavy where my dd replied "No."  I toild her she shoulld have gone for the sympathy vote and said "Yes - very!!"  ha ha, but she is too honest for her own good.  She now has a purple sparkly cast and is healing nicely. 

Thanks again x

• Like 7

Hi all, just wanted to say thank you for all the advice.  My dd danced beautifully in the festival last week, gaining many top three positions and quite trankly danced the best I've seen her.  The adjudicator didn't mention her wrist for a long time, then asked if the cast was heavy where my dd replied "No."  I toild her she shoulld have gone for the sympathy vote and said "Yes - very!!"  ha ha, but she is too honest for her own good.  She now has a purple sparkly cast and is healing nicely. 

Thanks again x

So glad to hear that she did well you must be very proud of her determination!