Joffrey Ballet Summer School

swanprincess

Congrats SP that's lovely news! I hear Misty Copeland is going to be a guest teacher during the NYC ballet intensive which would be a bit of a treat. My DD is also going to NYC to dance on one of the Joffrey programmes this summer and like you is incredibly excited to be going. She has opted for the Joffrey Experience course which is contemporary one in the last 2 weeks in August. Have to say I have taken advantage of the opportunity to organise a holiday for myself & my husband as we haven't been to NYC before. Lots of excitement all round!! Hope you have an amazing time and let us know if you end up chosing NYC :)

• Like 1

Wow SP - what amazing offers...am I right in thinking you are 16+ & that these Joffrey courses are for older ones? Am just starting to see that there is a whole WORLD of opportunity for our DC's... As mum of younger one's we'll stick with Blighty for now but look fwd in future years seeing what's out there & hearing of your & others experiences! Good luck (& if your parents are funding this....be very, very nice to them - as I am sure you always are!!) x

• Like 1

Thank you :D yes, Peanut68 I'm 17 :)

Amethyst, the audition was advertised on the Joffrey website; I'd say it was inter to advanced 1 standard, the auditionees were aged 14-18 I think, so the teacher slightly modified some enchainments to suit the younger applicants x

Lovely news SP- my DS had a fabulous time when he went to NY for Ellison Ballet. Have you looked at the USA version of this forum for advice and reviews on Joffrey? (http://dancers.invisionzone.com/) - to see the SI pages you have to register but its easy enough. It might be worth looking at this as certainly we got caught short in a few areas when we sent DS to NY- for example no one told us the self catering residence didn't have ANY kitchen equipment, so DS had to go out and buy all his own plates, cups, pots and pans- which he then had to leave there (he donated them to charity in the end) as no room in his suitcase to bring home. As he was in Manhatten you can imagine the cost!

Not to want to put a downer on your trip but the costs for DS of travel and eating were astronomically more than we expected. Even basic groceries to cook for yourself are expensive because its central NY.... Bear in mind you can buy a lot of stuff on amazon USA if you have a UK account and have it delivered; this might reduce some costs.  Make sure you order at least a week in advance though as the US post can be a bit slow. And check if the residence expects you to provide your own bedding (this is surprisingly common given the international nature of these SIs).

If there is a meal plan I would definitely take advantage of it. Even if you miss a few meals to eat out with friends it would probably be worth it...

Hope you have a wonderful, wonderful time, and are not put off by my warning (I only advise in case it helps you to be forearmed!).

• Like 2

All very good points Celib. When our DD was on a year round ballet trainee programme in NY we found that the cheapest way to eat was to fill a deli/salad box at Wholefoods. Cheaper than grocery shopping or 'eating out' and no food waste! We also bought everything from Amazon & had it delivered :)

• Like 2

Hi

My DD was also offered a place for the summer school this year, along with a ballet trainee program full time, however the cost of this was just far too much - even with an amount of scholarship offered, it was going to be too expensive with school and also boarding.  Its offer is very tempting, but then having phoned an enquired into more detail, it was just going to be in the thousands.

I think its great for the summer school but full time is just too much money.

Good luck to swan princess, a great experience and you never know where things lead to.

• Like 1

Krishell....that sounds too good an opportunity for your DD to pass up......surely there must be some Angel out there who could help fund this?? There seem to be lots of Scholarships that enable Americans to come over here to our Universities to study....are there not any reciprocal programmes? Perhaps a call/email/letter to the US Embassy here might help? Is she at a Vocational school here with funding? Could that funding be transferred to pay for this like when as part of a degree course one year si spent ay a sister university in a foreign city? or could you suggest a transfer with your school...ie. you go to Joffrey, & a Joffrey student goes to your school (or have I got this completely wrong as is with the company? apologies of so!) You both still pay as per your current arrangement (plus of course travel/accom I guess.....again - look for local charities....lots will fund travel programmes (if not the actual frees themselves). I so hope you can try to make this happen - the very best of luck in all things to your DD - she must be a real talent & I am sure will succeed wherever fate takes her!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Swanprincess so pleased to hear you had a good first day. My daughter doesn't go until the middle of August but she is reading your posts with interest. Apologies I tried to reply to your pm but apparently didn't do it correctly and was told by the moderator my message couldn't be sent. Will try again!