Advice please for an all rounder

Jazzpaws

My friend's son,year 10 in September, who dances sings and acts, really wants to pursue a career in acting or possibly technical theatre,

We live in rural Suffolk and I don't know anything really about the acting side of things, but hoping someone can point me in the direction of suitable associate classes in that field, that will benefit him when he applies at 16 + 

Some of the colleges run associate classes . The only one I'm sure of is at Laine and I have a feeling Urdang do a juniors . Hammond do an associate programme but I'm guessing that it would be a bit too far from Suffolk.

Your friend might find Notapushymum a good place to look for information.

• Like 1

OK - all the ones I have found summer schoolwise have been around 17/18

Rose Bruford does one - Dd is going on this summer as her summer job is backstage (she's a dab hand with fitting radio mikes and the spotlight & got a fab reference from him last year)

& I found this http://www.gsmd.ac.uk/youth_adult_learning/technical_theatre_summer_school/stage_management_skills/but it's older again

Is there a local theatre he can ask for 'work experience' at where about (pm me if you'd rather) but there is summer theatre in Southwold if I remember right - but thinking about safeguarding/child protection he would probably only be allowed if an adult/parent came too

BTEC level 3's are offered in TT at a lot of sixth form colleges - I can ask Dd's boss if he has any ideas for a child

• Like 1

No problem - it was Dd's back up in case she didn't get in but with 6 offers I don't think she will need it; I'm only sorry everything I found was for older kids

She may continue to do some summer schools over the years as a performer with backstage knowledge is useful

• Like 2

this is my eldest son's career path, and any and all experience is good.  In particular you could try

Local youth theatre

Local Amateur theatre

School productions

From this my son did an extended level 3 btec, before heading off to university.  He has never been short of work since arriving at university and on Sunday was Stage Manager for the day at an extremely large and prestigious performance space, and is currently doing 2 weeks professional work at another 1800 seater theatre. (Proud mum moment, they are so few and far between!)

RCS does a good 10 day summer school in stage production your son is old enough to attend, in fact if finances allow, you could also do the set design (it is a real differentiator at degree level) in the week before that.

And I presume you have seen the theatretrain website?  I don't know anything about them but personally I would give them a ring and find out.

Please PM me if you need any further information

meadowblythe.

• Like 2

Urdang academy does a youth academy which does ballet,jazz and musical theatre which is ran once a month. Laines also do one as well I think.

A company called rare productions run youth amatuer productions all over the south of England.

Edited by dancergirl24
  • Like 2