Puberty - and associated Female Problems...

irishballetmom

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also used to 'spill' the blood sometimes on removal. Tricky when out and about.

I always wondered about that ...

I was just thinking of posting about them earlier today oddly enough.

Diary Dolls. Expensive but good. Designed by Annabel Croft who had similar issues when playing tennis in short white skirts.

I never knew that before.  I always wondered how they coped (barring Serena Williams ignoring the "all-white" rule at Wimbledon and wearing fuchsia shorts underneath her dress) - I think I was aware that a few "accidents" had occurred over the years.

Pffft, got momentarily excited but then on the Diary Doll website they want to charge £10 postage to send two pairs to NZ – and John Lewis international delivery STARTS at £25! Might have to enlist a friend in the UK. You have no idea how ripped off we get – just got two leotards from Planet Dance and postage was £14.95!!!! It was only worth it because the exchange rate is good (and I found a Wear Moi leo I couldn't get on this side of the world).

Edited by Cara in NZ

Cara in NZ, there's an Australian/NZ franchise of the same product, called appropriately Diary Doll Down Under:

http://www.diarydolldownunder.com/

Product is also available in Debenhams.

Why have I never heard of this product before? I've got three adolescent daughters and will be investigating.

I remember the days of compulsory bottle green knickers for PE in all weathers at school, and most girls wore pads then, at least when they first started their periods, and it was quite obvious. Today's modern pads are much less bulky. I don't remember anyone being that bothered if the pads were noticeable. I suppose everyone was in the same boat then.

Why have I never heard of this product before? I've got three adolescent daughters and will be investigating.

I remember the days of compulsory bottle green knickers for PE in all weathers at school, and most girls wore pads then, at least when they first started their periods, and it was quite obvious. Today's modern pads are much less bulky.

Oh, they are.  I remember the first ones my mum gave me must have been nearly an inch thick!  Try disguising a pack of those at the till in Boots!

And why have *I* never heard about these before?!  Will have a look in Debenhams at the weekend.

• Like 2

Pffft, got momentarily excited but then on the Diary Doll website they want to charge £10 postage to send two pairs to NZ – and John Lewis international delivery STARTS at £25! Might have to enlist a friend in the UK. You have no idea how ripped off we get – just got two leotards from Planet Dance and postage was £14.95!!!! It was only worth it because the exchange rate is good (and I found a Wear Moi leo I couldn't get on this side of the world).

Nothing to do with puberty, but we also get ripped off when buying from the USA - Between them, Customs and the Post Office added £12 to the price of the beautiful Elevé leo dd had one Christmas. Postage from the USA was expensive in any case, but on top of that the Post Office have to pay import tax for you; you can't pay it directly to Customs & Excise - then the Post Office kindly charges about £8 for the blummin privilege! Grrrrrr.

Tell me, Anna! A few years ago, I bought a silver pendant and matching earrings for our eldest dd for Christmas. They weren't cheap but they were even more expensive after Her Majesty's Custom and Excises had slapped another £25 import duty on them. I was not amused. :(

• Like 1

Wow, you do have it hard! In NZ there is no duty on items below £100 so that's helpful. But we have VAT (GST) on everything, so it's always good to find children's clothes from UK sites when the exchange rate is good.

I have tried ordering from Discount Dance and Just for Kix in the US, and got to the checkout to find shipping costs are way more than the value of the order. Never get excited until you check the shipping!

And thank you, Rowan, for the 'down under' website (chortle). I just checked it out, but they still charge £6 shipping to NZ, so that's a £20 pair of knickers...  :blink:

• Like 1

Well, I went into my local branch of Debenhams yesterday, but couldn't spot any Diary Dolls.  If there hadn't been such a queue at the tills, and the staff so busy, I might have enquired.

Am I missing something? How do they differ from "normal" knickers?

Edited to say.... Ignore me - I found the proper website details. So, I gather the only difference is that they have a waterproof panel. Not sure how that's much of an improvement over pads in regular pants

As an outsider in terms of dance training, I have often wondered whether students (at full time schools at least) receive advice on such matters as personal hygiene, regular washing of practice clothes, removal of pubic hair (and where to go have this done), feminine protection, jock straps, and dealing with erections while dancing.

From what is being said above and has been recorded on other threads, it does rather seem that too many young people are left to search for their own solutions. 

We somehow ended up talking about period problems yesterday in the pub when DS disclosed that when he was rehearsing Paquita PDD his partner started her period unexpectedly - only discovered when he bench lifted her and got (in his word) 'leaked on'......so he had a gory face and she was mortified. The mixed gender, mixed age group round the table concluded that of the 2 of them she'd had a far worse experience and I was rather proud that he seemed to take it in his stride and was quite relaxed about it (I imagine if he'd been at all horrified he wouldn't have told the story...). All the assorted teenagers present were definitiely in sympathy (rather than any kind of revulsion). Discussion then moved on to our collective anger at VAT on sanitary products and so on.... I was encouraged by all of the youngsters very open, pro feminist attitude....

• Like 12

As an outsider in terms of dance training, I have often wondered whether students (at full time schools at least) receive advice on such matters as personal hygiene, regular washing of practice clothes, removal of pubic hair (and where to go have this done), feminine protection, jock straps, and dealing with erections while dancing.

From what is being said above and has been recorded on other threads, it does rather seem that too many young people are left to search for their own solutions. 

It's probably different depending on the school but when I was training we kind of just exchanged tips with each other. Regarding personal hygiene, everyone showered after class. We weren't told to, we just did it! Likewise, there was a washing room next to the dorms where we used to wash our practice clothes and it just became part of our day to go there and wash stuff. I don't remember hair removal ever being discussed among us, everyone just dealt with it. We didn't have a uniform but were not allowed to wear black leotards, however, almost all the girls used to wear black shorts over our leos and tights. It was more of a fashion than anything else but wearing tights, a leo, then the black shorts did mean that girls who didn't want to wear tampons could wear ultra-thin pads without them being noticeable.

How do the girls at ballet upper schools manage? In the pictures I've seen they don't wear shorts?

Do they all use Tampons by that age?

I only went to upper school and most of us wore shorts all the time but as I wrote, we were lucky that we didn't have a uniform. Costumes were sometimes more of a worry though!

Most girls probably use tampons but even without shorts, the ulta-thin pads aren't visible under well-fitting underwear, tights and a leo.

• 4 years later...

I just found this old thread - sanpro has moved on since 2015! Does anybody have any views on dancing in period pants? They all look quite low cut so might not work under a leotard. But I was looking at these which come in a nude colour: 

https://www.shethinx.com/products/thinx-sport?variant=31133319069768

I'd be interested to hear of any experiences or recommendations.

My DD is in vocational school and only wear pads. Lucky she has very, very light periods so during ballet she wears liners, then changes to normal pads (with wings). They are not allowed short but have black leos so she feels calmer in case of "incidents".

I can’t believe how much has changed since 2015 either!!! There are nude seam-free period pants by modibodi. They just pop in a normal 40 degree wash (just can’t be tumble dried) so don’t think it would be a problem at vocational school. I use them myself and laundering is the same as for any other pants to be honest!  

The nude-coloured modibodi knickers are a reassuring backup when used with other sanpro, as it means DD doesn’t need to worry about leaks in class. To be fair, all washing goes through the boarding house wash anyway, and if a leak did happen she would still need to deal with it with a cold water rinse and into the wash, so this is less washing and less stress for her!

• Like 1