Puberty - and associated Female Problems...

irishballetmom

Funnily enough a friend's daughter (not a dancer) volunteered recently that she thought that the plastic applicator tampons (eg Tampax Compak) were easier to use at first than the standard 'waxed cardboard' cover ones. Certainly I would say applicator rather than non-applicator tampons were most definitely the way to go at first!

The same girl used KY jelly on the tampons for the first few occasions, which I'm sure would 'gross out' my DD, but it clearly helped her!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If tampons are an impossibility then I imagine that shaped pads eg Bodyform would be the best bet? And I would suggest that if a skirt or booty shirts can be worn for class, this would be a good idea in terms of being less revealing. DD's teacher told all parents of girls aged say 11 and up (and I know she discreetly approached the mum of a 9 year old who was developing to tell her the same) that it was permissible to wear short skirt or shorts with leotards if needed.

I've often wondered whether professional dancers use tampons or whether they take the pill without a break to stop their period completely. Wearing a pale leotard without tights or pants on stage you cannot afford to take the risk of any leakages, particularly if there is a lot of 'crotch flashing'.

• Like 1

Lil-lets make a range of "teen" sanitary products which are smaller than adult products. The girls are not allowed to wear skirts or shorts for ballet at either of dd's Associate classes but the teen products are not noticeable at all.

• Like 1

I've often wondered whether professional dancers use tampons or whether they take the pill without a break to stop their period completely. Wearing a pale leotard without tights or pants on stage you cannot afford to take the risk of any leakages, particularly if there is a lot of 'crotch flashing'.

I've wondered that too (as well as 'hair removal'). Being on the pill tends to make periods lighter but it doesn't suit everyone. Maybe heavy periods is one of the things that discourages girls from taking the professional route? As Pictures said, mefanamic acid can be a lifesaver for heavy flow – my GP prescribed it for me in my late thirties and I used it until my body started to 'wind down'  ;)

Funnily enough a friend's daughter (not a dancer) volunteered recently that she thought that the plastic applicator tampons (eg Tampax Compak) were easier to use at first than the standard 'waxed cardboard' cover ones. Certainly I would say applicator rather than non-applicator tampons were most definitely the way to go at first!

The same girl used KY jelly on the tampons for the first few occasions, which I'm sure would 'gross out' my DD, but it clearly helped her!

I found the cardboard ones absolute agony. And I was 19 at the time. Had only ever used towels before. Then someone suggested I try Tampax Satin I think they were called. Worked instantly and no pain whatsoever. 

Since we seem to be digressing from developing a womanly figure to periods as such, should we start a separate thread?  It might be easier for people to find later if they need it.

I do hope professional dancers don't tamper unduly with their menstrual cycles these days, because it can bring about all sorts of problems later, I understand.  Mind you, I remember in the early days of the Kirov visits in the late '80s/early '90s that there was an article about how the dancers stocked up with Tampax when they were over here because tampons weren't available in Russia at the time.  The implication was that this was at least partly responsible for late casting changes.

• Like 4

Vaseline would be another alternative, possibly even soap at a pinch.

The trouble with the plastic applicators is that they're non-flushable, so have to be disposed of, which may be difficult if a disposal bin isn't available.

She has to take mefanamic acid.

I only discovered recently that mefenamic acid is supposed to reduce heavy flow (can't say I ever noticed a difference on the odd occasions when I took it.  I was prescribed it once as a painkiller, but thought it started life as a painkiller/treatment for rheumatism or arthritis or something).

It was actually invented for migraine but it was noticed that it controlled and lowered blood loss in menstruation but because it is an NSAID, it helped arthritis and other illnesses.

• Like 1

The trouble with the plastic applicators is that they're non-flushable, so have to be disposed of, which may be difficult if a disposal bin isn't available.

They're also terrible for the environment, not being biodegradable. However I agree that they are very comfortable and easy to use and I wish they'd been around when I was 13 (not that I was ever a dancer).

There are of course hormonal solutions to problem periods: the Mirena coil as well as the many varieties of pill. Some teenage girls find that their periods become less painful when they are in their 20s but if they remain very painful and heavy this should be investigated as it could indicate an underlying problem. Heavy periods can cause anaemia and teenage girls are prone to anaemia anyway. Personally, I feel that girls and women should have their own gynecologist, as they do in other countries, as I think that many GP's are poor at dealing with 'women's problems' and fail to appreciate that much of women's general health, including mental wellbeing, is linked to their reproductive system.

• Like 3

Since we seem to be digressing from developing a womanly figure to periods as such, should we start a separate thread?  It might be easier for people to find later if they need it.

Or, if folks are finding this whole thread useful, we can leave it as is - but if so, I'd suggest changing the title? Something along the lines of "Puberty and associated female problems"?

• Like 6

The topic I started has certainly evolved! I like the idea of the title change! Fits all the different subjects...

That does happen sometimes! :-) We have been known to go off on a tangent but I think this thread is a good place for all female hormone-related dance issues.

• Like 3

Vaseline would be another alternative, possibly even soap at a pinch.

I don't think Vaseline is recommended as it functions as 'waterproofing' so could hinder the absorbency process that is the whole reason for using tampons! KY Jelly is water-soluble, so that is better. I have avoided even mentioning applicators to DD because of the disposal problems (and not wanting her to have the awful experience watching a cardboard applicator floating no matter how much you flush, which is your punishment for trying to flush it!)

Edited by Cara in NZ
  • Like 4

Lil-lets make a range of "teen" sanitary products which are smaller than adult products. The girls are not allowed to wear skirts or shorts for ballet at either of dd's Associate classes but the teen products are not noticeable at all.

That's what I'm thinking exactly, that DDs are not allowed to wear anything else then their regular leotard at vocational schools so tampax is the only option really. Though I'm worried about trying it in advance to be ready for the future (but I love the idea!) - it will be easy (ish!) to put it in with a plastic applicator but surely a bit painful and difficult to take it out (because it will still be dry). I'd like to suggest it to my DD but don't want it to cause her and pain :-(

That's what I'm thinking exactly, that DDs are not allowed to wear anything else then their regular leotard at vocational schools so tampax is the only option really. Though I'm worried about trying it in advance to be ready for the future (but I love the idea!) - it will be easy (ish!) to put it in with a plastic applicator but surely a bit painful and difficult to take it out (because it will still be dry). I'd like to suggest it to my DD but don't want it to cause her and pain :-(

The teen towels are small and pretty invisible. :-)

• Like 1

Whilst what happy mum says is generally cirrect about only being allowed to wear their leotard in our experience teachers (male & female) have been very understanding with dd including suggesting she wear her school tracksuit bottoms or Lycra shorts.

if a child has a particular problem or issue they are flexibke.

I would never have believed a couple of years ago I would be going to a meeting discussing periods with a male balket teacher!

• Like 7

That is so lovely to hear, PITF. I'm glad that common sense and human decency are obviously in evidence at her school instead of inflexibility with the rules regarding uniform and correct class attire - they are clearly doing their best to make your DD feel comfortable.

• Like 1

I wish I had known about this forum years ago when I was trying to work out how to deal with this! Luckily I have always been to classes where it was acceptable to wear a little pair of black lycra shorts over leotard if there was a particularly dodgy day - especially if the teachers know you don't normally mess with uniform. But I have often wondered what professionals do and thought maybe they just gradually decide it's not for them if they can't find a way to get round it. A shame if that's the case!

Also, somebody mentioned mooncups earlier. I swear by mine. I don't think it's really any more disgusting than a tampon and I find easier and completely painless to get in and out (tried a variety of tampons but none were ever quite right), and less leakage than tampons too - I used to have to wear a pad with tampons anyway, but now unless it's a particularly dodgy day I can just wear a little Bodyform liner to deal with anything. Don't know how suitable for teenagers as obviously no applicator, but still worth considering I think.

• Like 1

I think individual shape influences whether you get leaks or not with Moon cups/tampons. I suspect Mooncups are less forgiving of shape mismatches as they don't expand. I also used to 'spill' the blood sometimes on removal. Tricky when out and about.

DD doesnt find pads noticeable (or maybe she's not bothered). She was more worried about leaks, but we found some pants that have waterproof lining but look like normal pants. They are fine under her leotards and stop her worrying. They are from John Lewis

I was just thinking of posting about them earlier today oddly enough.

Diary Dolls. Expensive but good. Designed by Annabel Croft who had similar issues when playing tennis in short white skirts.

I'm about to send 2 unworn pairs back to John Lewis as they were too small (dd tried them on over the top of leotard & tights. The next size up were fine though.

• Like 1