Where do I go from here?

beckyl

I'm feeling pretty down right now :(

It looks like I may have to give up ballet due to lack of classes. I used to go to an open adult class on a Wednesday evening, where, to be quite honest, I was pretty out of my depth when it came to centre work. That has since been cancelled and split in two: the beginners section is at 09.45 a.m. on a Wednesday (which I can't go to because I work) and the other section is on a Saturday morning and I'm not of the required standard.

Another school was supposed to be running a class on a Friday evening but this was cancelled too as I was the only one that signed up.

I tried a third school but they seem not keen on me joining the classes as they have teens in the class (I'm in my twenties.)

I just feel a bit lost and don't know what to do now and it looks like I might have to give up ballet. I live 12 miles from Oxford but it's a nightmare to get to so it's just not feasible.

Does anyone have any other ideas or what have you done in this situation before?

Becky

Do you drive? If you do I would send an email to every school that you would be willing to travel to whether they advertise adult lessons or not. Some teachers will be more amenable to squeening you in somewhere than others. Have you considered private lessons?

I don't drive, sadly. I also haven't had much luck with acquiring private lessons though I have tried. There are a few more places I could potentially try and I have e-mailed a few- I am just gutted by the thought of having to give up ballet!

I live in the Abingdon/Didcot/Wantage area in Oxford (in a rural location, these three places are most accessible, sadly Oxford itself is not.) I'd probably alo be able to get to the Newbury area too but I can't find anything actually in the town itself.

It would and it's also the time aspect (I know I'm sounding negative!) I work full time and I'm also in full-time teacher training. It might just have to be I work something out with Oxford but it would honestly be awful! The local pilates studio have a barre class once a week which I am getting details on but I'm aware it's not going to qualify as 'ballet.'

There used to be a lot of Dance going on in Reading.

Is that too far? There is one school in particular which I remember being very good for ballet but will have to rack my brains to remember it!! Certainly still operating two years ago.

Otherwise I think London is the only option......and only an hour on the train?

If you investigate fares and can buy a railcard you can get some pretty cheap fares.

If you are still in training of course I realise this may not be on the cards this year. When do you fully qualify as a teacher?

Thanks for your suggestions, Lin. Unfortunately Reading is a bit far, especially on a week night - I finish my teacher training next April (in which case I will hopefully be moving to New York or London- so no shortage of ballet there!) I'm just trying to cobble something together until then.

Perhaps your best option is to stick with the class on Saturday mornings even if some of it is beyond you. You may find that you start to do more centre work in time even if you don't manage all of it. It's more time and expense but I recommend that you learn to drive unless you are committed to living in cities for the rest of your life.

Aileen- unfortunately I'm not at the required standard for the Saturday class. Basically, three of us in the class are beginners, one f the girls can do the 9.45 time, me and the other lady are out of luck. I have a heart condition so driving is out.

Interested Parents- thanks, I have contacted the school already- fingers crossed but I think they only do classes for children and teens.

Have you used the search for a teacher facility on RAD, IDTA etc websites. Oxford City School of Dance looks like it might do adult classes that are not actually in Oxford and also Boars Hill Ballet School - quite possibly ones you have already tried. http://www.boarshillballetschool.co.uk/timetable.html

Failing finding a weekly class are you able to get to Birmingham once a month for the adult RAD associates classes - better than nothing http://www.rad.org.uk/events/adult-associate-class-birmingham-2

I think the owner really wants to cut down (she is well in her seventies and still teaching.) The bulk of her class can attend the Saturday class (I'd say there are 15 of us) so it was just the two of us that were out of luck. I have e-mailed to ask if I can join an intermediate and/or intermediate foundation class but I'm not sure... a lot of the grade classes are also cancelled.

2dancersmum- I have previously tried that ballet school but unless anything's changed (I can e-mail to ask) there is no barre section which is where my strength is right now but it would be better than nothing. Thank you for the info on the associates classes it's something  can look into (but not sure I would be of the required standard!)

Becky - the associates classes for adults have a complete beginners class as well as improvers and I think they offer a warmup/conditioning class alongside so you are not going all that way for just one class. Even though it is past the deadline for the next set of 4 sessions I would suggest you contact Louise Gould on the link given. She is lovely and I am sure would give you all the information you need and she may well be help to advise on classes nearer to you as well. I do not do the classes myself but am there at the same time as my DD's class overlaps with the adults first class of the day and I am sure the classes are not full

I think the owner really wants to cut down (she is well in her seventies and still teaching.) The bulk of her class can attend the Saturday class (I'd say there are 15 of us) so it was just the two of us that were out of luck. I have e-mailed to ask if I can join an intermediate and/or intermediate foundation class but I'm not sure... a lot of the grade classes are also cancelled.

2dancersmum- I have previously tried that ballet school but unless anything's changed (I can e-mail to ask) there is no barre section which is where my strength is right now but it would be better than nothing. Thank you for the info on the associates classes it's something  can look into (but not sure I would be of the required standard!)

When you mention Intermediate or Intermediate Foundation, beckyl, do you mean RAD (or similar) Vocational Intermediate/Inter Foundation? Because these would be of a markedly higher technical difficulty than Beginner. Or are they referring to Intermediate as in "more experienced than beginner"?

Yes, sorry to clarify, I'm not a beginner beginner as such. I danced as a child and have been taking classes as a adult for a year now. I have the basics down and I'm so much more confident at the barre. I have heard back from a lady who does a combined ballet barre and pilates class that is very local to me- any thoughts, ladies? I know it's not pure ballet but I feel it would be better than nothing at this stage!

• Like 1

Definitely.

So much real strength in ballet comes from having a really strong core and you can work with Pilates on almost any area to improve strength and flexibility .....but even better if the two are connected together as then you will probably have more ballet specific Pilates.

Since I was injured last year and couldn't do,ballet for a while I started Pilates and have got more and more into it .....from a ballet point of view.

I'm lucky where I go in Hove as you can do classes of 12, 8, 4 or one to one.

I usually vary them a bit with occasional one to one but the studio room with just 4 is my favourite one as once you've got to know the instructor they will already be working on an individual programme for you.

The only thing I would hope is that this teacher does restrict the numbers a bit so you can then make it more personal but even in a larger group as you can then go home and practice what has been learned it should be very useful and definitely better than nothing at all!!

• Like 1

Lin,

classes are capped at 5 so all seems good. It's reasonably priced too (£5) so I want to try it. I have a few options, I tried a school once but wasn't that keen because lessons were all centre work but I'm just wondering if it's something I should consider going back to just to get centre practice in? How important do you consider it?

I think centre work is important as long as it's not too huge a leap from what you've been doing at the barre. What standard - or equivalent grade - are the classes you can make? The ones you thought you weren't experienced enough for, I mean.

Well we did grade 6 and 7 stuff mostly. Which was fine at the barre I could remember all the combinations kept up fine but I was lost and I mean lost in the centre, it was all just too much for me. We did different things every week (which I know is the basis of an open class) but I'd just about get one step, for example, I'd struggle and struggle and just master a pas de valse for example and then we'd do something different the next week and I was lost again. Bizarrely, the one week we worked on a modern combination I picked it up first time (as I go to a weekly jazz class where we learn a routine.) My teacher was shocked!

If that is the case then I would hazard a guess that you might struggle with RAD Intermediate classes just at the moment then. :-( Intermediate Foundation could work though, if you could try a couple of classes?

I'm not sure about going back to my previous school but I could give it a try. I felt a little intimidated by my previous class as I felt like everyone was so much better than me, the class was crowded and I was just getting in the way. However,  did really enjoy the ballet, especially the barre. But... I don't know I felt a bit... anxious? self-conscious when I was there?

If you can find a BBO or RAD grade 6 class(they are both really nice grades with lovely music) and about the same level OR as S and P says an Intermediate Foundation class that would be good or to be honest even a grade 5 if you are struggling a bit in the Centre work.

I have been doing BBO mixed grade 6 and 7 this year as numbers at the school dropped at this level this year. I find the grade 7 barre when we concentrate on that level quite tough and it is also quite difficult at the allegro section quite a bit harder than grade 6 for example

It is very disheartening when you are in a class that is too difficult for you .....Ive been caught out a few times up in London......it's better to. If anything it's better to do an easier class and work then to really perfect and dance the centre work rather than struggle and feel anxious.

Also if it's a large class the teacher doesn't really get the time to support you properly

I hope you do find something in the end.

• Like 2

The good thing about a syllabus class is that you repeat the exercises over and over, so even if you find them difficult at the beginning you practise them so much that in the end you absorb them into your body. Much easier than a free class, even if it is at a slightly higher level.

• Like 3

That's so true, Dance*is*life. If you do find a syllabus class Becky, perhaps you could also get hold of the DVD of that syllabus so that you can watch and learn the exercises in between classes to help you feel more confident? I know the RAD have DVDs of their syllabi and assume that other exam boards also provide these.

• Like 2

Thanks for your suggestions, guys. Unfortunately I'm not having much luck with even getting graded classes, I think a lot of schools think it's strange I'm asking. I'm going to take a week or so to weigh up my options which so far look like either doing a ballet barre/pilates class (with no centre work) and/or switching to contemporary. I'm really not sure, I think I'll trial a few things in the next week and see what I like best in all likelihood

Bizarrely, the one week we worked on a modern combination I picked it up first time (as I go to a weekly jazz class where we learn a routine.) My teacher was shocked!

This isn't bizarre in my view -- but to be expected. The way we learn something like dance (a very complex set of skills) is through repetition, to develop proprioception: muscle memory.

My advice would be to struggle through the more advanced class, after a discussion about your CURRENT limitations with your teacher. Slowly, slowly, it will start to stick. Edited to add: I'd take a bet that over say, 6 to 12 months, those current limitations will have shifted, and you'll slowlty see progress. BUt you need to have courage don't you, to go into a class where you know that half of it is *currently* beyond you? But only *currently*!

Some advice I read ages ago on the other ballet site was that one way to learn is not to worry about the details, but to try to get the big overall shapes and rhythms. So in petit allegro, think about directions of travel and rhythm. And the steps will come gradually, although I know -- you'll feel like a big hot mess!

Would that be an approach you could use just for now?

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 2