White Lodge at The Nutcracker - which Year group?

The Money

Hi

I had understood that White Lodge provides the children for The Nutcracker and that specifically it involved the new Year 7s.

Is that the case?

As reviewing some videos on YouTube the DDs seemed older than Year7s.

Thanks

Ost

WoW! Living the Dream - Respect. And I think I am a proud Father!

hfbrew - indeed. I have been watching and waiting for the Winter 2015/6 schedule to come out. On seeing it yesterday I was delighted they hadn't chosen to do Alice in Wonderland again.

I ask as while I am sure just popping into the ROH is not an everyday occurrence for most parents it is especially difficult from here in Hong Kong.... 

Still, would be a dream come true and great reward after all these years of just waiting for her classes to finish! 

Thanks

Ost

• Like 7

Hi Ost and welcome to the forum.

Have you got a son or daughter going to WL this year?

My son was the same year as hfbrew's so they did Nutcracker together as toy soldiers in years 8 and 9 (they had to make the trousers longer for ds and a friend in year 9 as they'd grown so much).

Some boys and girls are chosen to be the "party children" and some of the girls are rats or "gingerbreads".

My son was fortunate to be a soldier in Birmingham Royal Ballet's Nutcracker too when he was at Elmhurst Upper School (the production is different and they have adult sized soldiers) as well as a party guest, and then in his first professional job he was in Nutcracker again in a couple of different roles. So as you can understand, Nutcracker has a very special place in my heart!

• Like 10

My DD was a mouse two times and Miss Gertrude at the ROH.  She was also lucky enough to be a party child with Birmingham Royal Ballet when she was a JA.  I must admit that I was quite pleased when year 10 came and we had her home for Christmas instead of Nutcracker  ;)

Edited by angel
  • Like 6

DD was a party child in year 8 and party child/rat in year 9 (which involved some rapid costume swapping). No Nutcracker in Year 7 as it was Peter and the Wolf/Beatrix Potter.

It really is a magical experience to be part of - although logistically it can get tricky!

Crazily DD is off to Upper School in Sept - does anybody know if first year girls in Upper School are used? What year are the 'shuffling angels' as we always liked to call them ;)?    

• Like 4

How exciting - my dd's dream may yet come true of dancing The Nutcracker as a year 7! Opening performance is her birthday - what a present that would be!

My dd is looking forward to meeting your daughter OstKampfer - she thinks she spent time with her at the final audition at the writing test and said how nice she was.

I was at Northern Ballet School in Manchester aged 12,13,and 14. It was still very much affiliated with Northern Ballet Theatre ,who were based in Hulme in Manchester in those days. Miss Marcia Rhodes,our teacher and someone elsewho I can`t remember ,had to select about 6 or 7 children to take part in Northern`s Nutcracker. I wasn`t even considered. Too tall.!!

OstKampfer (interesting name!), welcome to the forum. Were you planning a trip over from Hong Kong just in case? There will be a live broadcast of one performance of Nutcracker to cinemas around the world - I have a feeling that HK has been included in these in the past, so worth keeping an eye out for that.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but my dd appeared in Nutcracker with BRB aged 11 as one of the children, whilst they were on tour in Manchester. She was at a "normal" school and it was her first experience of auditioning and performing with a professional company. She loved every moment and it was instrumental in her decision to want to dance as a career.

Thank you all for the interesting and informative replies. It was a pleasant surprise to learn there are so many potential roles in The Nutcracker and over a number of years. Even if that does get to be a toll on family arrangements for Christmas holidays it thus appears to be the ballet that launches many a career...

In follow-up, I presume most of the possible (by height not talent) children have a role? With different children doing the same thing in different performance to spread the load? And that then each child would know some way in advance for which performance they were in?  

Julie W - it is my daughter who is about to start at White Lodge. Our son is like me: two left feet.... So not quite sure where my DD gets it from! LoL

Waiting Mum - thank you for your kind words about my DD. Your daughter obviously has a better memory than mine who seems not to be able to recall very much of that day. And perhaps that is my fault for teasing her about an error she admitted to in her first round....! Ooops!

I did realise though that giving my location would be a pointer to those who had met my DD's entourage on Finals day, especially as we were unknown from JAs or UK competitions and therefore I think almost unique. However, it only seemed fair having lurked here for some 18months or so to learn all I could about the process, that on her success, I come clean. Never sure there is much I can add to this forum or, for what I suspect is a relatively small community around the Schools but, will try.

I had been previously told there was a (new) Parent's Day on the 16th May. Have not been able to raise the White Lodge staff to confirm; if there is, I would hope to be able to meet you for real :)

alison - as I posted this original query I was struck how by inappropriate, reflecting my usual personal military history interests, my own handle was. I was relieved to find this forum allows for the changing of handle. Not so sure this new one is any more appropriate but is the reality for us overseas UK citizens that are therefore ineligible for MDS funding.

And yes, if my DD should grace the RoH stage I was certainly planning a trip over! :) Which would make all the money worthwhile :)

Nutcracker -x - with a handle like that and a specific date for the live broadcast, you must be the resident expert on this topic?!!? :) RBS broadcasts have been shown here in the past however the current vogue seems to be with Bolshoi productions which I suspect suits the time difference better. However will continue to watch out for this as even with the best will in the world I can't take sufficient holiday to cover all 26 performances.

• Like 1

Maybe not an expert in that area the money it just happened to be that just before reading this thread I had been scrolling through the ROH website and found the cinema season for 2015/2016 ???? good luck with trying to find a way to watch the performance/s whether it's at the cinema or the ROH itself, you'll have to keep us all updated on how it goes ????