Another article dismissing UK dance training

Pas de Quatre

The students are indeed told this at Laban during their audition process. During the three years they all study 'everything'. But some modules are by choice. However during the third year the student chooses whether for their degree they will be marked as a performer, as a teacher, as a choreographer or as a combination of two of these. So yes, not everyone is looking for a performing job.

I posting about Laban because that is the establishment I know. The comments about lack of rigour in training are inaccurate. Everyone has a ballet class nearly every day. There are five levels and students are put in the appropriate one. Some have never learnt ballet, other have a vocational ballet standard and pointe was included for those who wished. Likewise Contemporary classes were streamed according to ability and previous experience. Graham, Cunninham, Horton, and Release are among the disciplines studied.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
  • Like 2

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This article is actually quite old, and yes, it was a political answer to criticisms of his appointment to the Directorship of the Vaganova Academy.  Just as a quick answer, if he thinks RBS is not in the top league of training, then how did Xander Parrish and Sergei Polunin manage to be so good?  Everyone, please feel free to add names of other International stars who did not train at the three schools he says are the only ones that are any good, (Vaganova Academy, Bolshoi & POB).

• Like 2

Purely on the basis of employment rates, I believe RBS have 100% graduate employment- which to me, makes it one of the best schools in the world, as ultimately a school's aim is to help its students to get in to employment... Out of curiosity, do any other UK schools have a 100% graduate employment rate?

Purely on the basis of employment rates, I believe RBS have 100% graduate employment- which to me, makes it one of the best schools in the world, as ultimately a school's aim is to help its students to get in to employment... Out of curiosity, do any other UK schools have a 100% graduate employment rate?

I don't know if they have a 100% graduate employment rate every year (or even this year) but they certainly have a superb graduate employment rate. There are other schools which have a similar graduate employment rate but not necessarily the same percentage of classical contracts.

More curiously, do we know the graduate employment rates of the three schools mentioned?

There is a caveat to this which is that some other ballet schools round the world are not necessarily so selective and may not assess students out- esp if they don't have any state funding and thus need to make ends meet. For example, at my DSs school students would self select out if they felt they didnt want to do ballet any more or had been told they really wouldn't make it as a professional dancer, but they wouldnt be asked to leave if they wanted to stay. So the school doesn't have a 100% rate of graduate dance contracts- I don't think you can use this to suggest that their teaching isn't up to scratch...(and by the way they have pretty amazing university entrance stats considering the students do a limited curriculum- several to Berkely/Harvard/med school that I am aware of in the last couple of years)

Also I have said before and would still maintain that RB upper school has many many students who did their core training (11-16) elsewhere. Who then is respoinsible for that graduate's success on graduation? RB or the original school? How many of those graduate contracts are to dancers who have been at RB since age 11?

I'm not implying that RBs teaching ISNT good, just that the graduate contracts don't tell the whole story....

Edited by CeliB
  • Like 9

That's true, but I thought some of the revamping at the RBS a few years ago was because the placement rate at international companies wasn't all that great and it was felt that, in its efforts to be a feeder for the RB, the school wasn't answering the needs of companies in the more streamlined modern era.

Edited by Melody

Historically, he's right: St Petersburg and Paris were the great centres of ballet in the 19th century. Paris was the world centre for ballet performance throughout the 19th century & well into the 20th century.

However, he's overstating the current position just a bit! But it's just press hyperbole, and probably part of hids job to talk up the Vaganova School - it's indisputable that the Vaganova Institute IS one of the top schools in the world. Just not the only one  ;)

The thing we have to remember is that again historically as well as now - ballet is an international art/business. There's ALWAYS been movement between the big metropolitan centres, and the star dancers (as well as corps de ballet) have always been internationally mobile. Given that only about 1-2% of young people training in dance actually become professionals, I think that good training will take someone anywhere. And the training from 12-18 is not the only training a dancer will do in her life.

Edited by Kate_N

My dd left a private school at 16 on the condition she went somewhere where she could do her A levels (Scotland HND) and BA Hons.

She choose Ballet West as you also get 3 years stage full tour experience too.

She has got her HND, ARAD and BA Hons this year. She is now doing another year just training with all academics finalised.

If she doesnt get a job in the dance world at least she has her ARAD to teach and BA Hons to either carry on at Royal Academy of Dance to further her qualification on go into something new.

Its a cruel world out there and not everyone makes it. Have a back up plan.

• Like 2

ARAD is not a teaching qualification in itself. That takes further training, for example Certificate of Ballet Teaching Studies.

ARAD usually means you have passed your Advanced 2 and been accepted as an Associate of the Royal Academy of Dance. (You apply in writing.) Although not a teaching qualification its still a special thing to have!

• Like 1

ARAD usually means you have passed your Advanced 2 and been accepted as an Associate of the Royal Academy of Dance. (You apply in writing.) Although not a teaching qualification its still a special thing to have!

Yes, my dd passed Adv 2 at 15, and she can apply for ARAD when she turns 18 - she can't use the letters after her name until then!

• Like 4