Elmhurst Junior Summer School 2015

Waltzingmatilda

i am not sure if posting in the correct place as new to forum.  It is about junior elmhurst 2015 summer school and I know this discussion was about 2014 so forgive me if I need to move!!  My daughter who is 12 in May has applied and I wondered if anyone know roughly when we should know if she got a place?  She has never done a residential before and we are not expecting a place as there seems to be a lot of children apply and my front room photography session may not have hit the mark!  Would we get an email or letter do you think?

Hi shiningstar

For the last 2 years (it's new) they've accepted on a first come first served basis. They will be busy at the moment with final auditions coming up. I've always found them extremely helpful and I'm sure if you email they wouldn't mind. (If you're working etc you need to plan far ahead for school holidays. ..)

All was done by email last year.

I'm not sure it is first come first served as last year I was chatting to another mum & she told me that a friend of her dd was refused both years but she did have a problem (can't remember what now might have been to do with her back)

Last year dd got a place even though we emailed the application through on deadline day with photos taken in our cramped kitchen.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight

Yes the standard varies widely although each time I have seen an increase in the level of students which will probably mean that they will become more selective over time.  There was a large number of DD's from vocational schools and high level non vocational schools I recognised and also quite a few with seemingly very little ballet experience. I know of some girls who went last year who only do one or two classes a week.  All this said, my DD really enjoyed the course last time.  The year before she thought it was too easy so things are changing gradually I think...

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone hears anything about places on junior course please post on here!!.  I am exhausted from checking emails!Ha.  Quite new to the forum but am finding it so incredibly helpful.  My daughter just wants to know and we can both be put out of our misery and I can see from reading what I can on places that the Elmhurst summer school are becoming more difficult to get a place on. I have said she can always apply next year if 'no' and I will ask her dance teacher to help with the photos next time! I have booked Tring Summer School as a back up so that DD can have her first go at a residential!   

• 2 weeks later...

Hi pictures

From memory we definitely did bare feet but can't remember about legs. As your dd is Y8 then I think convertibles would be ok. My dd is same age and the transition from socks to tights seems to have happened.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

very useful information re elmhurst summer school on 'summer school reviews' previous discussion for a newcomer to the forum like me.  I didn't even realise the summer school was international and that there is a waiting list as it is always over-subscribed.  I knew of a  DD who didn't get a place last year so in a way it is nice to know that they have a waiting list system in place. Better than a straight 'no' I feel.  Has anyone experience of how the waiting list works?  I understand some DD who have applied for residential are offered 'day' place waiting list.  Just trying to find out all I can and this forum is fabulous for that!

Does anyone know if the DC's are dropped off on the Tuesday for the start of the course on the Weds 26th?  We will probably get a train so wasn't sure if we need to arrive Tues or if Weds if do-able.  I have no idea where to stay as it is probably cheaper for me to stay near the school and try to entertain myself for a couple of day whilst DD is residential - I wondered if anyone could recommend budget accommodation  within taxi distance of the school so I can drop DD off and pick up on the Friday.  HAve no idea which train station we get off at either. We have never travelled anywhere near the area before so hoping for advice although I am not sure if these are appropriate questions to ask here - apologies if not.

You drop off Wednesday morning.

We drove up the night before & stayed at the Premier Inn next door to New Street station. There seemed to be lots of summer schoolers staying there. It was spot the bun at breakfast & I don't mean the bread rolls.

Even though it's right in the city centre it's nicer than staying at the Broad Street travelodge or premier as it can get pretty rowdy there.

We drive then but several others taxi shared or got a bus.

DD thrilled she will get to experience Elmhurst at SS. As it's a good 4-5 hour drive have booked the Hagley Road Premier Inn for the Tues night - it is close by if driving (& cheaper as has on site parking). I booked & got a good rate by paying now.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know when we will get asked for the rest of the money for the course and details of what the DC need to bring with them?  We are travelling by train so will be limited with luggage!  Also is there anything out of the ordinary likely to be on the kit list that I need to budget for?  DD only has one leotard so I thought we will get another black? one.  I take it DC's need to bring shower gels/shampoos etc but are towels provided?  A bit worried I may have missed an email with further details.  Thank you all so much for helping me.

The balance was due 1st May.

Last year we received th details of timings & what to bring etc mid June (but the closing date for applications was a lot later & places were only confirmed the beginning of June)

Bedding is provided but they have to take towels, a hairdryer, seeing kit & plasters.

The kit list was tracksuit, dark leotard ( they all wore black for final performance) wrap skirt & pink tights.

Thought it was the deposit due by 1may, that's what my email says then it says "further information including outstanding balance will be forwarded in due course"

Hope that's right, I have only paid the deposit.

thank you snape and picturesinthefirelight.  will get DD a wrap skirt and have got a big microfibre towel as they are really light and small so will pack that!  I am hoping she may be able to get away with leggings and top to save me buying a tracksuit.  I too have only paid deposit snape so we can worry together.

• 2 weeks later...

is the accommodation in dorms or rooms does anyone know?  Can parents watch a class on the Friday to get an idea of what the DC's have been up to? DD is not on pointe yet at 12 - is this okay for the summer school as I am suddenly worried she may be the only one who isn't?