sarah761

Ok my dd has a dada offer at The Hammond and waiting to hear about funding for bird. She also has recall for urdang. Anyone have experience of this school? Whats its reputation? Where do they live whilst attending and how costly is living in London?

Thanks

There is a lovely hall of residence in Muswell Hill - it's expensive but fully catered & DD has stayed there occasionally for courses/Associates.

The bus goes straight to the end of thhe road Urdang is in. (Pm me if you want more details)

Urdang is an amazing MT college definitely in the top 3. Very commercial in style.

DD is in 1st year at Urdang but on the Degree not the Diploma.

Urdang don't provide any accommodation but they can send you an accommodation list for the local halls of residence, just email them. I think costs were between £150 and £250 per week. DD shares a 4 bed flat with 3 others on her course; we found it privately through an agent and it is much cheaper than halls.

Urdang have a Facebook group for new starters so that students can get to know each other and arrange flat-shares etc. Again, email them for the link.

x

They do offer a foundation course of one year but the diploma is a 3 year course, very similar to the 3 year degree course. The main difference is the funding. Diploma attracts DaDa funding, degree attracts student finance. 16 year olds can apply for diploma but not degree, 18 year olds can apply for diploma or degree.

One of  my pupils is in the 3rd year at Urdang on the Degree course, she went at 18.  The daughter of a friend is in the 3rd year of the Diploma, she went at 16. Both have loved being there.  I am not entirely sure of the different structure of the two courses but I believe they have had some classes together and they both seem to do the same Urdang shows, and of course are now both going to auditions to find their first jobs.

In my personal opinion, if you want musical theatre, wait for Urdang. I'm sure students do well from Hammonds and that some from Urdang won't thrive but that's true of any school. You have to go on how you felt with the school when you were there - Urdang has masses of students and they will have to fight tooth and nail to get spotted but that's what the industry will be like. If it was my child it would be Urdang as a first choice and if DD has a chance of it I would take it to its logical conclusion. However, if you risk losing out on Hammond altogether then you may not feel the risk is worth it.

Regarding Hammond there is the opportunity of the security of landlady (with food or self catering) accommodation. Smaller classes and common year to make final decision. Choice for year2&3 of either Dance or Musical Theatre.This Year they also will be starting a Musical Theatre Degree for 18+

I don't think you need be in any hurry to make a decision until you know about funding for Bird and the recall outcome for Urdang - at least not until accommodation lists are issued. Then I think, when you know what your final choices are you can weigh up your options. Your DD already knows Hammond and if she would like to spend another 3 years there - it is obviously a lot smaller than both Bird and Urdang but that can have advantages too in terms of more individual attention during training and good performance opportunities. Bird and Urdang are obviously a bit more of a step into the unknown so aside from practical considerations, there would be the 'gut feeling' from your DD's auditions, for where she felt most at home and where she felt she would benefit most. I'm sure your DD must know people who have gone to these schools in the last few years that she could maybe ask for more information. At the end of the day though, choice of college for 6th form training is very personal. If you are going to one of the accredited schools and courses, you know you are getting good training - it then comes down to personality and personal circumstances for where each individual will be able to flourish and do their best.

• Like 3

I think it comes down to what your DD felt when she auditioned at both. My DD auditioned at both. Neither of us liked Urdang particularly. She has always felt at home at Hammond and is very happy there. What's right for one person may not be right for another. Different personalities are suited to different places. Depends if your DD is more musical theatre. Decisions are hard, good luck.

• Like 1