Ballet Theatre UK - Aladdin

Fantastic costumes and fantastic choreography will be my lasting impression of this production which I was fortunate enough to see last weekend. Strangely, there were no programmes let alone cast lists available on the night so it is difficult to comment on the actual dancers, especially since the website also does not appear to have been updated to reflect the current company. David Brewer I recognised as Aladdin and he was superb - as a dancer and a performer/actor.  I also really liked the princess and the female genie who also really showed the emotion as they danced. 

As a whole though this was a lovely show to watch.  It was a riot of colour and movement with some wonderful costumes and as I mentioned before some fantastic choreography and in particular some great lifts and partner work.  Aladdin is not my favourite story but I loved this ballet version of it and this appreciation seemed to be shared by an audience of all age ranges.  In the seats next to us there was a young family and they had brought their daughters aged 3 and 5 to see the ballet - their first ever visit to a theatre, let alone a ballet.  They sat enthralled.  There were quite a few children in the audience but it was the best audience I have been in for a while - no rustling of sweet packets, mobile phones, talking.

A final shout out has to go to one of the female dancers with a huge costume mishap when her corset had clearly not been fastened up properly and came undone completely part way through a group dance.  Her partner made a few attempts to grab her but as a true professional she danced on and somehow managed to preserve her dignity.

Overall, a superb performance and one I am glad I went to see.

• Like 7

Fantastic costumes and fantastic choreography will be my lasting impression of this production which I was fortunate enough to see last weekend. Strangely, there were no programmes let alone cast lists available on the night so it is difficult to comment on the actual dancers, especially since the website also does not appear to have been updated to reflect the current company. David Brewer I recognised as Aladdin and he was superb - as a dancer and a performer/actor.  I also really liked the princess and the female genie who also really showed the emotion as they danced. 

As a whole though this was a lovely show to watch.  It was a riot of colour and movement with some wonderful costumes and as I mentioned before some fantastic choreography and in particular some great lifts and partner work.  Aladdin is not my favourite story but I loved this ballet version of it and this appreciation seemed to be shared by an audience of all age ranges.  In the seats next to us there was a young family and they had brought their daughters aged 3 and 5 to see the ballet - their first ever visit to a theatre, let alone a ballet.  They sat enthralled.  There were quite a few children in the audience but it was the best audience I have been in for a while - no rustling of sweet packets, mobile phones, talking.

A final shout out has to go to one of the female dancers with a huge costume mishap when her corset had clearly not been fastened up properly and came undone completely part way through a group dance.  Her partner made a few attempts to grab her but as a true professional she danced on and somehow managed to preserve her dignity.

Overall, a superb performance and one I am glad I went to see.

Sounds as if you were at the same performance as me!

The princess was Ines Ferreira, The genie of the Ring Jessica Hill and genie of the Lamp Philip Tunstall. The sorceror was Vincent Cabot and it was his wife, Claire Corruble who had the corset mishap!

It was good show and I am so glad you posted because I too thought Aladdin (David Brewer) was superb. His grandma was in the audience, possibly the last time shes well enough to go to the Ballet.

Have just come from the matinee at Swindon which was equally as good, the new French dancer Rudolphe was a very handsome Aladdin to Sarah Mortimers elegant princess. Natalie Cawte was genie of ring to Pedro's genie of the Lamp ( he is also new and from Cuba.) David Brewer was a lusty sorceror.

The company really, really need audiences! The tour dates are found at www.BalletTheatreUk.com. It may not have the high profile of long established companies but is well worth seeing. Sadly not all the Theatres are good on promotion, one local to me claimed they had no flyers only posters when I know for a fact they are sent in the same package!

If anyone ever wants a know a cast, please pm me!

And please, get people to see this lovely company. Aladdin is very family friendly and I am looking forward to my pupils reactions in a couple of weeks time.

• Like 4

Have just seen on Ballet Theatre UK website that it is now possible to book the performances at Lilian Baylis on 6th and 7th May. (Wednesday and Thursday.) Because its a private hire this wont show on Sadlers Wells website and will not be promoted by the theatre. But there is a link via Btuks website that enables you to buy tickets.

I sadly have to teach those days so cant go.

Please, please everyone, if you can, get folks to go and support this very hard working, self funded British company and its wonderful dancers!

Edited by hfbrew

Thank you hfbrew, I will be booking my tickets for the London performances ASAP.

The photos on the company's Facebook page look wonderful, do you have any idea of casting for sadlers wells dates?

Yes I do. But I will double check first then post them tomorrow.

Tour dates

Website Home Page

Thank you for doing this Janet as I cant from my normal device!

When I am at a laptop later I will post cast info for Lilian Baylis.

Edited to add that the running time is approx 2 hours to include interval.

And yes TheQuays David Brewer is my ds, I dont mind you asking as its common knowledge on here. I ve mentioned this fact before as one of the reasons I avoid posting reviews as such because I cant possibly be impartial. So its really nice when people post favourable reviews without any input from me whatsoever ( like above.)

But like all small companies, touring is tough, especially if you are not showing a "classic" and the Theatres are not actively promoting the visiting dance companies apart from a token poster the night of the show! Which is why I am sending out a little plea on their behalf now!

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 1

Thoroughly enjoyed the evening performance in Swindon last night, particularly your son hfbrew as the evil sorcerer. There didn't seem to be programmes on sale in Swindon either so I don't know who was who for the rest of the cast but the female Genie (very long blonde hair) stood out to me through the whole performance.

Few minor costume mishaps but beautiful costumes none the less, especially liked the green jewel dresses. 

Was such a shame the theatre wasn't full, I think our dance school made up half of the audience!

• Like 1

Last night was Aladdin; Pedro Santos

Princess; Claire Corruble

Genie;   Vincent Cabot

Slave of the ring; Charlotte Eades

Sorcerer; David Brewer 

Sultan;     Philip Tunstall

So glad you enjoyed it and thanks to your dance school for their support!

Lilian Baylis  Wednesday 6th May

Aladdin; Pedro Santos

Princess; Claire Corruble

Genie;   Vincent Cabot

Slave of the ring; Charlotte Eades

Sorcerer; David Brewer 

Sultan;     Philip Tunstall

Thursday 7th May

Aladdin; Rudolf Giacolone

Princess; Sarah Mortimer

Genie;   Pedro Santos

Slave of the ring; Natalie Cawte

Sorcerer; David Brewer 

Sultan;     Vincent Cabot

Saturday 16th May Fairfield Halls, Croydon

Aladdin;David Brewer

Princess; Ines Ferreira

Genie;   Philip Tunstall

Slave of the ring; Jessica Hill

Sorcerer;  Vincent Cabot

Sultan;     Robert Noble

If anyone is going to The Atkinson in Southport this coming Saturday its the above named cast! (David as Aladdin!)

• Like 1

That is a very tough schedule of touring. Only a couple of nights in the same place for the whole run. No real chance to get used to the stage and lots of travelling. Takes a certain kind of person to cope with that. I really hope they go from strength to strength. I will keep a look out for them and go and see them when times and venues work together.

• Like 2

That is a very tough schedule of touring. Only a couple of nights in the same place for the whole run. No real chance to get used to the stage and lots of travelling. Takes a certain kind of person to cope with that. I really hope they go from strength to strength. I will keep a look out for them and go and see them when times and venues work together.

Please do. This is one of the easier tours!
  • Like 1

Thank you for filling in the missing cast names for me.  I thought it was Ines, Jessica and Vincent but was not positive.  I am so glad you were able to get David's grandma to see him perform, especially if it was possibly the last time as David as Aladdin was truly on top form for that performance.

• Like 1

As I am on holiday in Sussex this weekI will unfortunately miss the opportunity to see them in Southport (I live in Preston) Are they making any other visits to the North-West? It's just my ipad and the library computer I'm now using are too old to access the full touring list. many thanks  Joan

Why are there never any cast lists available? Money? Or does the cast change often?

The cast does rotate in order to spread the workload.

There are three casts this season and they are described in above posts.

I have said many a time that a cast list, even just one, on a board by the auditorium door would be so helpful! If anyone is going please make the suggestion and the message may get through!

In the meantime I am happy to enlighten folks on which cast they are seeing at any given performance although its wise to double check once at a Theatre.

How about tonight? A last minute change of plan means I may be able to get to Southport!

And tonight is the David cast!

I realised too late that with the show starting earlier, 7pm, that there is no way I can go, its over 3hours away!

David; Prince

Ines; Princess

Jessica; Slave of the Ring

Philip ; Genie

Vincent; Sorcerer

Robert: Sultan

Phew, Ive finally broken the 1000 post barrier.. not sure whether this is a good or bad reflection of my Easter Holidays!

Edited by hfbrew

Well I'm just home from my impromptu trip to Southport.

I really enjoyed the production.  If you know anything about Aladdin you should be able to follow the story quite easily.

The story is simply and attractively told without the need to resort to pantomime characters.  The set is absolutely charming and the costumes are a riot of colour.  I liked the music too, it had a real Eastern influence and was very tuneful.

This hard-working company performed this piece with elegance and commitment.  There are some very pretty pdd - I especially liked one for the genie-ess and the genie.

There seemed to be a lot of young children in the audience and I am sure they must have enjoyed the performance as it is very accessible.  The audience response at the end was very enthusiastic.  I am so glad I got an unexpected opportunity to go!

• Like 3

I was at yesterday's performance too and enjoyed it too. It was good to see Janet McNulty. One of the children Janet mentioned was the nearest I have to a grandson. He had a great time as did his parents and my colleague Gita.

• Like 1

Just back from Dunstable.

Fab show but disappointing numbers in the audience, most were my students who loved it.

Small, self funded companies really solely on ticket sales so please spread the word that good quality Ballet that is not Nutcracker does exist out in the sticks!

And my heartfelt gratitude to those of you who have already taken the trouble to go and see BTUK you know who you are!

• Like 2