Is Rambert a good school?

balletnz

I went for an audition at Rambert at the beginning of March. They were interested in me and would hopefully like me to start there in September 2016, as I am too young for this year. I have questions about the school.

1. How many people apply for the school and get accepted?

2. What is the likelihood of becoming a dancer in the future if I go to Rambert?

3. What is the background? How does the school work?

4. Are there any scholarships or ways I could have a reduction in my tution, as I am an overseas student?

Edited by balletnz
  • Like 1

Rambert is a well regarded school. I would say more liklihood of going into contemporary dance than classical as a result of training there but they do 50/50 and that is not based on much knowledge. My dd auditioned this year and i think they said they get around 400 applications per year and an intake of 50 which they may reduce a bit. Not everyone is selected for audition and they have finals on the same day as the audition. Those recalled onthe day do one or all of their prepared solo, physio, interview. They have a reserve list and this year have a further recall for reserves.

The intake is a range of 16 to over 20 year olds,it seems like a happy place on visiting and the new director seems to have good plans for the school. There were some students who had travelled across the world to be there when my dd auditioned so it must have a strong reputation. There are some videos of the school on youtube.

• Like 2

Hello Balletnz and welcome to the Forum.

I can't answer your question except to say that Rambert is a highly respected school.  There is an earlier thread that, while it is about a male student, covers Rambert School:  

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/8607-rambert-school-auditionshould-i-or-shouldnt-i/?hl=rambert

It is well worth searching the Doing Dance Forum to find more opinions too.

• Like 1

I went for an audition at Rambert at the beginning of March. They were interested in me and would hopefully like me to start there in September 2016, as I am too young for this year. I have questions about the school.

1. How many people apply for the school and get accepted?

2. What is the likelihood of becoming a dancer in the future if I go to Rambert?

3. What is the background? How does the school work?

4. Are there any scholarships or ways I could have a reduction in my tution, as I am an overseas student?

I would say excellent having seen their Spring Show last Friday, very impressive.

• Like 2

It is definitely considered to be in the 1st division of Vocational schools in UK.  Their mission as stated on their website is to train equally in Classical and Contemporary techniques, however in the world of dance there do seem to be fewer classical jobs each year and more contemporary ones, but nobody can really predict the future.  The course is a BA (Hons) degree, so I don't know if you have any access to student loans in NZ as I doubt you would be eligible for funding here.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your replies! Rambert seems like a very good school, as I am only 15 I am still too young and i still feel young to go as I have stated in my initial post. I was also wondering where the students stay if they are not living with their families in Richmond?

I don't think there are any Kiwis there at the moment but definitely a few Aussies. Dd is a first year and is extremely happy there. Here are no scholarships as such for internationals, but a small bursary can be applied for at some stage.

• Like 2

Are you more on the ballet or contemporary side?

Probably almost certainly one of the best for contemporary in UK and their Company is one of the best Contemporary companies too.

You do get lots of ballet training there as well .......many years ago it was a small classical company and many years ago when I was still considering dance as a career it was the one I was hoping to try for(my teacher had connections with the Company etc)

However although it is now a Contemporary Company the standards there have always been high so I assume the school must have high standards too.......it certainly has a good reputation.

You may like to consider the Northern Ballet school as well.

They do say on their website that over 90per cent of ex pupils went on to get jobs in good company's

If you go to their website and go to the alumni page it lists the companies their students have gone to......quite an impressive list too!

LCDS is the top pure contemporary school in the UK. Rambert will improve its contemporary with the new Principle who has more experience and is more open minded. Central also is good for contemporary. As has already been said Northern Contemporary is also good. Don't forget RCS with their Modern Ballet degree.

Heather

Aka Taximom

• Like 1

I would disagree, both NCDS and Laban are on a par with LCDS. If you read the bios of dancers in Contemporary companies (either on websites or in programmes) there are equally frequent graduates of these three schools.

Also, Rambert school is not attached to the company or a feeder school for Rambert company in the way that RBS or ENBS are for their respective companies.

• Like 1

Aren't NCDS, LCDS and Laban all more 18 plus? I may be wrong? It's just that the original poster will only be 16 for 2016 entry.

Also, when you say Rambert isn't linked to the company, they do have a close relationship which is only going to grow stronger because of the new principal, who regularly teaches at the company. We were told that the students have opportunities to dance with the company (and this is to increase) etc.

• Like 2

Yes, they are for 18 & over. I was just replying to taximom's post which I felt was misleading.

How the course will evolve with the new principal remains to be seen, and I hope it goes well. However the retiring principal Ross McKim has experience second to none and is widely loved and respected within the dance world. Such dismissive remarks about him are ill-informed.

• Like 2

I didn't think taximom's remarks were dismissive of Ross McKim - who, I agree, will be sadly missed.

Can I just clarify the schools referred to by their initials - for those who are unsure:

LCDS - London Contemporary Dance School

NSCD - Northern School of Contemporary Dance

RCS - Royal Conservatoire of Scotland

• Like 1

Out of 22 dancers listed 7 of them finished training at the Rambert School and of those 7....7 went into the Rambert Company!! Most immediately others danced somewhere else first and then came to the Company. One of these seven has been in the Company twice ....initially dancing there and then dancing abroad for a while before returning to the Company.

Quite a few danced with the Scottish Ballet before joining Rambert and five finished training at The Royal Ballet School......in fact one of my favourite dancers Luke Ahmet trained at RBS......only discovered this today!!

Some dancers trained abroad as they come from Cuba New Zealand Australia USA and Hungary etc etc.

many of their dancers trained at major Ballet Schools rather than contemporary schools which probably explains the Ramberts slightly more balletic style which I happen to like.

To the original poster .....as you are so young you have done well to be accepted already for Rambert but it may be as well for to have a look around at other places like Northern and London Contemporary etc if you prefer contemporary .....unless of course you have already done this?

balletnz there are films of the students on the Rambert school website (and other places like youtube) where you can have a look and see what you think. 

I think that in looking for funding and bursary opportunities you should consider looking in NZ - I read a very interesting diary by a (NZ?  Oz?) student who now, I think, attends the Scottish Conservatoire who was sponsored to a large extent by a benevolent funding body set up to foster links between the UK and Australia.  In any case it will be worth you doing a bit of research around this area.  The school could also answer some of your questions.

• Like 2

The ballet training there is supposed to be good. I believe there is equal amount of time spent on ballet and contemporary.

I don't know who teaches at the school but because I am a Friend of Rambert I have seen the Company dancers in class and that teacher seems to be very good. To me they all seem to be very good classical dancers as well.