Hammond Lower School finals

Mae989

DD has scholarship call backs on the 23rd. Not knowing anything whatsoever about this crazy world I would like a little bit of insight please!

Does anyone know how many are usually called back to this stage? What is the scholarship/ bursary rates?

I notice there is a musical theatre component (not DDs strongest at all!). Do they have to be an all rounder to get bursaries/scholarship?

Hi Mae989,

Unfortunately I don't have the answers to your questions as pretty new to all this myself, but your DD must have displayed sufficient potential in all components in her first audition for them to consider her for a scholarship or bursary. I believe MDS awards are based on suitability / potential in classical ballet, so in short she has a good a chance as any other invited to finals.  I am unsure of the criteria for a bursary though, sorry.

Good luck to you DD, she has done brilliantly to get this far :)

good luck to your DD with her final audition.  As the above poster says the MDS is based on classical ballet suitability/potential.  As far as I am aware the bursary/scholarships are offered to those the school still like but do not have enough MDS for.  Also as far as I am aware the level of Hammond's own bursary/scholarship is based on family income.  That's my understanding but I do not have the personal experience to be completely sure.

The reality is suddenly starting to hit! DD still has a smile from ear to ear but both my husband and I are in pieces! It's just so daunting. You are right Karen I have a million questions to ask. I will PM you if that's ok? My biggest worry is losing my little girl and missing so much of her growing up. The thought of not seeing her every day is just too much to even comprehend right now. Oh gosh this is hard!!! I'm so glad I've found this forum though so I can listen to all your experiences and hopefully get through this with some sanity????

• Like 4

The reality is suddenly starting to hit! DD still has a smile from ear to ear but both my husband and I are in pieces! It's just so daunting. You are right Karen I have a million questions to ask. I will PM you if that's ok? My biggest worry is losing my little girl and missing so much of her growing up. The thought of not seeing her every day is just too much to even comprehend right now. Oh gosh this is hard!!! I'm so glad I've found this forum though so I can listen to all your experiences and hopefully get through this with some sanity????

Hi Mae989, congratulations to your DD - my DD is currently boarding in year 7 at the Hammond and absolutely loves it - any questions, feel free to shout!

Mine DD is in year 8 and is doing really well.  You'll love the school but the boarding takes a while to adjust as it is 'lacking' however the house parents and teachers are wonderful and caring which is the most important thing!

• Like 1

Hi everyone, well done to everyone who was awarded the MDS, such lovely news :D

My DD is on the reserve list for an award, I have emailed the school, but have yet to recieve a response, can anyone help me please? Does anyone know how many get on the reserve list? Will the school give info re- how realistic DDs chances are of getting an award?

Hi dancing pickles.

It's a very difficult question to answer & depends if anyone turns a place down. It does happen & I have known some children to be offered awards last minute.

School broke up for easter holidays yester day lunchtime & the lady I think you need to speak was in attendance at parents afternoon all afternoon.

Mae - do feel free to get in touch

Hi dancing pickles.

It's a very difficult question to answer & depends if anyone turns a place down. It does happen & I have known some children to be offered awards last minute.

School broke up for easter holidays yester day lunchtime & the lady I think you need to speak was in attendance at parents afternoon all afternoon.

Mae - do feel free to get in touch

Hi everyone, well done to everyone who was awarded the MDS, such lovely news :D

My DD is on the reserve list for an award, I have emailed the school, but have yet to recieve a response, can anyone help me please? Does anyone know how many get on the reserve list? Will the school give info re- how realistic DDs chances are of getting an award?

Hi Dancingpickles

The DCs who are awarded MDS have a time limit to accept the award , some may have multiply awards and choose a different school free- ing up one for another child on the list.

After this date ,unless it is different to years gone by , some people are offered bursaries which can sometimes work out better .

I think all go on the waiting list , I have known DCs to eventually be given an award and some on the list who don't .

To give you hope my youngest dd was offered her award 6 days before the start of term .

Fingers crossed for your dd .

Mae, we are with you here! We miss dd far more than she misses us! I console myself that at this stage no decision is final and if it does not turn out to be right for your daughter, you can review and make changes. There are less than 50% of the dancers who started with dd as boarders in yr7 still there now. However, dd is very happy and we really treasure the times we get together. She still rings every day - suggest unlimited calls and Internet if you can manage it.

Edited for typo

Edited by Karen
  • Like 3

My DD is also on the reserve list. I tried to call to speak to someone but no joy. I also wondered realistically what her chances are now. It's like double upset if she gets another no in a few weeks. So hard for them and for us watching them go through it...

• Like 1

School broke up for Easter on Friday, but there maybe someone in the office next week. However, I think it may be a case of waiting to see what response there is to the places offered, but I guess the waiting list might be in some sort of order and they may be able/ willing to tell you where you are on the list? Hope you find out and feel more settled soon. I do feel for you; the year we were waiting for results they took ages and I remember feeling that everyone else knew where they were heading and we were still in limbo! Good luck!

• Like 1