Hammond or Northern ballet (Manchester) ?

jade

Hi my daughter has been offered a place at both these schools - subject to dada funding. Any thoughts or views on either Hammond or NBS would be helpful. My daughter wants to know which school is the most classical ? We loved both schools so it's really hard and would be happy with either so any info would be lovely! We are fully aware that she may not get the funding for either school so no decision may be needed ,but can't help wondering !!!!!

We are in a similar situation with other schools, and something I remember reading on here was that it is useful to have a look at graduate destinations and where they end up working/get contracts. I don't know anything about Hammond, but I think some Northern graduates are successful in getting contracts with cruise ships etc - don't know about classical contracts though.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

At NBS you decide whether you are going to study jazz or classical. However at Hammond you do MT or dance x

Does the student get to decide,or does the school decide whether you are best suited to the classical or jazz route?

I think this will quite possibly come down to funding and to your DDs gut instinct (and yours) on where she would be happiest training and living as I don't think there is much difference between the courses or the graduate destinations.  Hammond and Northern seem to have a lot in common - even some of the teachers - some are now at Hammond but used to be at Northern and vice versa whilst one at least works at both.  Both schools have the common first year and I believe I am correct in saying that ballet is the dominant style at both schools during that year - certainly at Hammond there are more hours of ballet than any other dance styles, vocal or acting classes.   She will get good training at either school and whereas it is true that not many go onto classical contracts afterwards, there are some that do - it often depends on personal preference as a students view at the end of the 3 years training is often different to when they enter the school aged 16.  Others go for cruise ships, contracts with dance companies, etc.

• Like 3

at both schools the student mostly decides which pathway they want to continue on for the 2nd and 3rd year but with guidance and a meeting with the school. I think the dance courses are probably very similar but I am not so sure for the comparison between the jazz and the mt. It is described as 'jazz theatre' and 'triple threat' performers so that it includes vocal and acting. Hammond MT students do jazz, tap, ballet and contemporary alongside vocal and acting but with not much focus on the ballet/contemporary so I am not sure how they compare in terms of hours and focus on each for if the main difference is in the name of the course rather than the course itself.

Thanks everyone. I think it's good you are put on the course you suit and will gain most employment from - even if it's not the course you first imagined yourself on. I think you have to trust the teachers as they probably know we're your main skills lie. Although I can understand dc would be upset not to follow their first choice. My daughter would love a classical contract but has told me she knows they are few and far between so if dancing on a cruise ship was offered to her she would take it . She just wants to dance at the end of the day and travelling the world whilst saving money seems good to me ! Her first love will always be ballet but dancing as a whole is her life . Thanks for all your posts x

• Like 5

Thanks everyone. Tulip - my daughter will be living at home and having to travel each day. Both schools are more or less the same distance from were we live and both schools have students from our area who also travel daily. It will be hard having to commute each day but we can't afford for her to live away from home. The dada will go towards fees but with the top up and all the extras it makes moving away from home too expensive ( other children and no grant towards living costs based on wage ) staying at home will have benefits though and if it's what my dd wants to do then it's her only choice !!! She is determined that the distance won't stop her !!! I also think we are lucky in the north west to have two great schools in commutable distance more or less !

• Like 5

As you say there are quite a few who commute each day so it can be done.  I think now you probably just have to wait for the funding decisions, try out the commute? and let DD go with her heart.  Is she 16 or an 18 year old starter? Hammond obviously offer A levels and Students who do not take A levels study for a pilates qualification instead. I do not know if A levels are a consideration or not or if Northern offer anything alongside the diploma.  Fingers crossed for good news re DADA for Northern and for the funding audition at Hammond

• Like 1

My dd is 16 but one of the oldest in her year group so will be nearly 17 years old when starting. As you say I just have to wait for funding results as no decision may end up having to be made ! I will let you all know how we get on , I truly believe everything happens for a reason. If my dd can't get dada she will stay on at school and do a levels and rethink her options at 18 x

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd update my post ! My dd was offered dada for Northern ballet school and reserve list for dada at Hammond.

Good news is that reserve places do turn up as my dd has now been offered a place with a dada at Hammond also ! Lovely to have a choice and feeling very lucky !!!!

So just to give hope to your dc that dada awards do go to those children that didn't go to vocational school and that all is not lost if you are put on a reserve list !!! ????

• Like 10

I am currently a third year at NBS and I just wanted to say that we have recently had a lot of changes to teaching staff and the classical course has soared in standard as a result. Mr Alexandrov came from a long and successful career at the Hamburg Ballet and is an amazing teacher. He now does teach first years. As for grad success we have a small graduating class on the classical focus but one girl has been offered a contract with Ajkun Ballet in NY with two others being offered trainee positions. I myself have been offered two junior companies, two trainees and am waiting to hear back about three full contract positions after being successful in the auditions :) NBS is really getting there classically! Good luck making the decision I know your daughter will be very happy wherever she goes :)

• Like 9