Quoting from a previous post

If I'm understanding your question correctly.....

Look at the post of the person who's quote you are interested in. Now look at the lower right side of their post and you will see:

"Quote"

click on that - and your typing box will come up with the other person's quote already in there.

You can practice on my post. Look to the right -----------> see the word "Quote"? click on it..

If I'm understanding your question correctly.....

Look at the post of the person who's quote you are interested in. Now look at the lower right side of their post and you will see:

"Quote"

click on that - and your typing box will come up with the other person's quote already in there.

Oh I see, this works. Thank you

Well, good job - except when you type start typing below the quote - otherwise your typing will become part of the quote. Look up at #3 - just above and you will see that's what happened.

Whereas if you type below as I am doing now- my new typing is below my quoted remarks. Does that make sense?

Whereas if you type below as I am doing now- my new typing is below my quoted remarks. Does that make sense?

JaSm, when you press "quote", in the reply box you'll see what the other person typed, followed by square brackets with "/quote" in. if you make sure you do your typing AFTER those brackets, you should be fine. :-)

And I think the MultiQuote feature should allow you to quote from several separate messages at once, shouldn't it?

JaSm, when you press "quote", in the reply box you'll see what the other person typed, followed by square brackets with "/quote" in. if you make sure you do your typing AFTER those brackets, you should be fine. :-)

Aha - yes. When you click "multiquote" on the posts you wish to quote, a little button appears (bottom right for me) which reads "Reply to X quoted posts". You have to click there to get the multi quotes.

Hope that makes sense!

So like this.?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

John, may I refer you to the beginning of post #47 in the thread "Falling at the first hurdle" in the Doing Dance section of the forum. I am using Safari on an i-pad. I believe that I have quoted successfully before, but it may have been when I was using Google Chrome on a computer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The quote button no longer works for me.  When I press quote all that happens is that a reply box opens after the last post, but no quote.  What am I doing wrong.  Please has anybody any ideas?

Test using Firefox 29 under Windows 7 64 bit

The quote button no longer works for me.  When I press quote all that happens is that a reply box opens after the last post, but no quote.  What am I doing wrong.  Please has anybody any ideas?

Using Chrome 34.0.1847.131 under Windows 7 64 bit 

Test using IE 11.0.96.. under Windows 7 64 bit

Does not seem to work. Don't use ordinarily. It also seems to have a problem with pasting text into this box (probably same problem!)

The Firefox and Chrome tests above all worked and are using the latest versions of each browser.

Perhaps John might be aware of an IE problem - there is a lot of hassle around IE just now with various updates needed. Don't think I'll be doing anything again with it. For whatever its worth I run Firefox on main machine, tablet (Windows) and phone (android).

By the way, Pat, what happens if you copy and paste the quote into the "Reply to this topic" box, then highlight it and click on the "speech bubble" icon immediately above?  Does that work?  Because that (along with everything else in the two lines above) is greyed out for me on Chrome.

By Jove, I seem to have fixed it! This seems to be a well-known problem with I.E. 11 and I've just installed a little workaround.

Pat, is that any better?

John Mallinson

(Posted with I.E. 11 under Windows 7)

Well done Nemo - good dog!

(IE11 under W7/64bit)

By Jove, I seem to have fixed it! This seems to be a well-known problem with I.E. 11 and I've just installed a little workaround.

Pat, is that any better?

John Mallinson

(Posted with I.E. 11 under Windows 7)

You are a star, you have indeed fixed it.  One very happy person here,  so many thanks to you and to all the other forum members who offered advice and help

• Like 1

Thanks so much, whatever you did! I noticed yesterday that the Quote function was finally working in IE. I can also use cut and paste in my posts in IE which I couldn't do before - always had to go over to Chrome to do that. [if we had an Applause or Notworthy smilie, I'd be adding it here]

There's still one problem that seems to exist in IE and not the other browsers, although it's less annoying than the inability to quote. I can't edit my posts in IE without doing an extra click to go to the Full Editor page; the regular Edit button doesn't work (at least, it gives me the box I need, but nothing happens when I try to post). Is there by any chance another quick workaround?

Edited by Melody

Well, please thank him for checking and give him a bone. That problem is really minor compared with the inconvenience of not being able to quote or post links, which has been sorted.

As of today my new-found ability to copy and paste (at least, to paste what I've copied) has gone away again in IE11. The quote feature is still working, though.

I noticed yesterday that YouTube videos weren't embedding, which they were doing fine up until last week, although it doesn't seem to be a problem for other people.

Working fine in Chrome, btw, just not IE bloody 11.

Edited by Melody