UK Summer Schools 2015

anondancer_15

I realise there's probably already a thread similar to this one but I was just wondering which summer intensives people are applying/have applied for this year? I want to do one but not sure which ones are still open for applications etc!

Last year I did one at Hot House Dance which was brilliant so I totally recommend that one for anyone near the Hertfordshire area - we covered all kinds of styles/genres etc. 

Any advice/recommendations please??

My DD just won a scholarship to the Dance Summer School in Scotland after a 2 day intensive this week.

http://www.thedancesummerschool.co.uk/gpage5.html

Would love to hear from anyone else who has done this one as we will have to pay for flight and accommodation so would be nice to hear some reviews. She adored the intensive course especially as they did some Matthew Bourne choreography. It covered lots of different styles as well as ballet.

My dd has been to the dance summer school. Its fantastic. Full days and nights! The school where they are is beautiful. My dd has been asked as a chaperone this year so she will see you there! Definitely worth it. They will pick up from Edinburgh airport too. Well done to your dd!

• Like 1

I realise there's probably already a thread similar to this one but I was just wondering which summer intensives people are applying/have applied for this year? I want to do one but not sure which ones are still open for applications etc!

Last year I did one at Hot House Dance which was brilliant so I totally recommend that one for anyone near the Hertfordshire area - we covered all kinds of styles/genres etc. 

Any advice/recommendations please??

I did that too last year!!! It is a small world!

• Like 1

I'm searching for information/opinions about  the Central School of Ballet summer courses. We are looking for alternatives to the RBS ss. At Central applications are still open, but it is a non residential school, so it is not easy to get organized.  Can anybody help me? Thanks a lot

If you are based in or near Hertfordshire, the Harpenden Summer Dance School is excellent. It's non-residential but doesn't clash with any of the "big" summer schools at the start of the summer holidays, as it is usually around the middle-end of August. My dd tries to attend every year; it has a lovely mix of classes, fantastic teachers, and a show of work at the end of the week.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would really like to do a purely ballet intensive, I missed the deadline for ENBS (however it says that candidates should be advanced 1 level and i'm only advanced foundation so i don't think that would work), I've applied for Elmhurst though I've heard the chances of getting in are rather slim, and I can't do the BTUK one which I'm a bit gutted about.. any other suggestions from anyone would be great :) 

If you are interested in going abroad the Dutch national runs a summer school which isn't too expensive and I have heard good things about it. Amsterdam is quick and easy to get to by Easyjet (and cheap!). Took us 2 and a half hours door to door (we live half an hour from Gatwick). Applications open until May 5th, you have to send 3 photos.

They don't advertise any scholarships but clearly have some as DS was offered full scholarship last year (he didn't take it up as they got back to us quite late and he had already accepted Ellison).

The national academy is amazing - DS visited last week and said it's like Royal Upper School, the Royal Opera House and National Film School all rolled into one....

Hi anondancer_15. My son did Tring summer school summer 2013 before it was residential. He was just 13 and intermediate level. He thoroughly enjoyed it. The teaching was good, the atmosphere was friendly, the setting beautiful. From what I remember there were 3 different standards of class but there were 2 classes of both the middle level and the upper level. My son was in the middle level. There was ballet every day, ballet rep, jazz, tap, contemporary and musical theatre. He loved it so much he ended up going to school there.

• Like 1

My son did OPES last year. Thoroughly enjoyed that too. The ballet was brilliant he has decided not to go again this year as he felt he wanted to do contemporary class, not contemporary rep. Just a personal preference but it was lovely and very good indeed.