Central School of Ballet Audition Experience

Guest TillieJ

Guest TillieJ

Hi all :)

I'm new to the forum & to the upper school audition experience ???? & I just wondered what the general opinion was of the CSB audition process ? This was my dd's 4th audition & in comparison to the others, we were both really disappointed. I had been told about their not so great premises & facilities but of course they do have a good teaching reputation which is more important. The "welcome" was non-existent, no tour or talk to parents & no interaction whatsoever between the handful of current students there on the day & the auditionees. my dd said she felt she had performed well & that she had felt fairly strong in the class. She was very upbeat & smiley when she came out which is always a good sign as she wears her heart very much on her sleeve at all times ;) However, a very abrupt & exceedingly poor template "No" arrived yesterday........2 days after our very expensive trip to London. We are honestly fine about the "No" but I just think they could have made much more of an effort in general. I also heard several accounts of a member of the panel who apparently watched certain auditionees with his head in his hands! .........how encouraging! ..........not to mention rude imo!

Then again perhaps we are just naive in thinking the schools should make the same effort the auditionees

& their parents do to meet the various school's audition requirements. TJ x

Edited by TillieJ

I have to admit that I didn't know that any of the institutions gave talks or tours to parents as part of the audition process with higher education institutions. I thought parents at that stage were just a taxi service!

Perhaps the tour/interaction with other students comes at finals stage rather than offered to everyone?

It sounds like your daughters gut instinct was that it wasn't the right place for her. I do however know a family with a dc who was very very happy at Central.

Guest TillieJ

That's good to know Ana :) I spoke with others who felt the same also. Our experiences at RBS, Elmhurst & NBS were completely different. Both Emhurst & NBS gave talks & tours (current NBS students helping on the day were lovely & interacted with the auditionees which my dd thought was great. We were also treated to a performance). I thought RBS were lovely hosts and the panel introduced themselves prior to the audition. I also thought Mark Annear gave a lovely speech. All three schools were very welcoming to both the auditionees and their parents and we were encouraged to ask any questions throughout.

PITF - I was referring to CSB's audition process only.

TillieJ I think there were some grumblings about  Central auditions last year as well on the upper school thread. I didn't go with my dd this year so can't really comment on Central audition process but like you I  been very impressed with the approach by RBS and Elmhurst and Tring (especially as had such small groups you felt they could look at everyone).  Elmhurst rejection was very blunt and could do with a bit of softening.  The RBS rejection was beautifully worded ( as I mentioned on a another post).  Getting to know all the rejection letters unfortunately!  I would like to see a requirement for feedback too though I recognise how very difficult this is but if Oxbridge now manage to give feedback I would have thought that some kind of tick box feedback is feasible in the dance world too.

When my dd auditioned for Central, all students called back for Finals were invited to attend a separate open day at which they and parents took part in a tour of the building, watched several classes (one of which was a rehearsal by Ballet Central) + attended a couple of talks - one by the Director & senior members of staff & one by the physiotherapist. There was also a Q&A session.

• Like 2

Guest TillieJ

I agree with everything you say Chaperone :) Our applications were all made rather last minute as there was a possibility of us relocating out of the UK thru dh's work. CSB said they hadn't received our app (although it was in fact signed for), I believe they didn't receive a few - blaming the Xmas post (?). They offered to "squeeze" dd in last weekend & I was able to send them a copy as I have kept copies of all our app forms but we had to take replacement photos. This + all the expense of flying to & staying over in London. To be perfectly honest we felt the whole thing as a "just going thru the motions experience" from start to finish, if you know what I mean. I am absolutely not knocking the school, I have no experience of that - just purely our own audition experience :). TJ x

The only comment my dd made about the Central audition last year was that there were lots of candidates in the audition and that it was pretty crowded in there, more than any of the other auditions. Maybe that's why they can't offer a tour, as there are so many candidates at each audition. However, if invited to final at Central they do also invite you along to experience a day at Central, which I think was the day before final. Can't absolutely remember as we withdrew from the final. Tring also had an experience day last year for candidates who had been offered a place after the dada funding final.

• Like 2

When my dd auditioned for Central, all students called back for Finals were invited to attend a separate open day at which they and parents took part in a tour of the building, watched several classes (one of which was a rehearsal by Ballet Central) + attended a couple of talks - one by the Director & senior members of staff & one by the physiotherapist. There was also a Q&A session.

Yes, that is the same this year, It's her life. Finalists have been invited to an open day in March, which seems to be a very well organised day giving a flavour of daily life at Central. :-)

What we must remember about Central is that the school is housed in a very old building with a small entrance hall, several floors and old, winding staircases. I can only imagine that having a possible 80 parents/guardians touring the school at each audition would be difficult, to say the least! Also, auditions were on a Saturday so the Directors may not have been in. Tring and Elmhurst auditions were on a weekday so obviously the Directors were there and able to give talks to prospective parents and their students.

We were at Central last Saturday and the students I saw arriving were given a nice welcome when signing in.

Edited to add that Moneypenny and I were posting at the same time. :-)

• Like 3

If you judged CSB by their premises no one would go. They've had plans in the pipeline for years for new premises and accommodation which if built would then be considered state of the art. From memory RBS didn't give a tour at preliminaries. Don't expect too much then you won't be disappointed

Edited by Friends
  • Like 1

Hi TillieJ

Just thought that I would let you know that last weekend was Centrals half term weekend - they were back in on Monday but off Thursday, Friday and Saturday of last week. The lack of students would have been because of this. Also for the 3rd years Saturday off was their half term.

The school would not have been running with its normal activity :-)

PP

• Like 1

Our US auditions were a while ago now, but I thought Central and ENBS were similar in that you just dropped them at the door, but when invited to finals we had a lovely time at both! As s&p says, the other schools have the advantage of more space so they can at least invite parents in.

I also wonder whether Central have been rather overwhelmed with extra applications over the last couple of years due to the finding changes.

• Like 2

Guest TillieJ

^^ I didn't judge them by their premises. I didn't say RBS gave a tour of their premises either. CSB simply scored a 0 when it came to admin/hospitality/friendliness etc in OUR opinion. After all, are all allowed an opinion........even a newbie ;)

• Like 3

Guest dancer2027

I found them quite rude last year, when being given my number by the receptionist, she made a comment about being too tall for my number and almost accusing me of lying about my height on the application form which I later assumed was a mistake on their part/ misread the number. I was confused as to why they would think I would have lied and put down I was 5 foot 2 or 3 when I am a perfectly acceptable 5'5 ?? It made me feel unwelcome before I had even danced.

Overall I tnink central is a very good school but I have heard a number of grumbles about their audition process

• Like 2

My dd auditioned at Central a few years ago. Our experience was very positive. The admin staff on the desk were busy but helpful. At the final audition whilst my dd was having physio I was invited in and was given a running commentry of what she was doing. I remember it being very crowded in the hallways with there being so many parents and auditionees. The staff made space to accomodate us in the library where we were able to read some of the fab books there

Edited by primrose
  • Like 1

When I dropped DD off at her prelim, I was quite surprised that we weren't spoken to at all or shown into the building further than the entrance hall. Since my DD and I had both travelled from different parts of the country to meet up for the audition I was left feeling that I had to keep reminding myself that I would always accompany my daughter to an audition for moral support alone!

We then received an invitation to the open day on the 2nd March, prior to her final audition during the last weekend of March. An extra very expensive trips to London for us, then! I do wish that the tour and talk could be incorporated into either the prelim or final audition, as all(?) of the other schools manage to do.

Whilst I am on the subject, does everyone have the same open day date of 2nd March? And has anyone been told yet whether their final is the 28th or 29th?

I also thought it was odd that the Central "open day" for those given finals was on a different day. They really could do with organising the final audition day to incorporate it as the other schools do imho. It was a bit of a nightmare having to get myself and son from different parts of the country - worse for some people geographically - plus having to take yet another day off work.

The auditions this year (and every year I would think, are when the students have started their break.There just aren't the facilities there to have auditions, parent tours and students in class, due to the nature of the building, which is why they offer tours at a later stage. Some that DD know were very critical of the old building, but we didn't bat an eyelid.What is important is the very high standard of training and support that each student receives. I just went down the road for a chat and coffee at Pret during auditions to soothe nerves !

DD is loving every moment and has certainly found the right school for her  :)

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Noting comments etc, above, on the state of the Central School premises - with which I'm not familiar - users may be interested in this link:

https://bdaily.co.uk/environment/03-03-2015/russian-billionaire-acquires-southwark-ballet-school-accommodation-for-61-million/

What significance, if any, this acquisition may have for hope of improvement or for anything else, I leave to you.

Edit:  I've now found that there are other, essentially similar, links around, but have seen none that add to what's here.

I agree with you jazzpaws the building is very old but the teaching is of a very high standard. ENBs building is also very old but if my daughter had of been offered a place there, she would have jumped at the chance as that was originally her first choice. I can see however when you are new to auditions how daunting for the parents of young adults leaving them at the door of a building is scary. When Carol is on the desk at Central she is so lovely, but perhaps she wasn't on the desk or at the desk on the day of that audition. Sixth form only ballet schools are very different to schools that have younger students. The buildings just aren't big enough to accommodate tours at the same time as auditions. But you will get a tour and a talk if your child is offered a place, which is when decisions can be made. No need for blunt no letters though.

I agree with the above post. My dd also joined Central in September gone & we have always had a very pleasant welcome / reception there. I mentioned it to my dd who said maybe the regular reception staff were not present being the half term weekend. Central does treat students like young adults however & all correspondence is done through them rather than parents. I think this is in preparation for the world they are entering where they need to be very independent. There is a warm welcome atmosphere there most of the time. Buildings are tatty but so are the pointe shoes of principal dancers. Don't judge things on looks alone.

• Like 4

Guest TillieJ

I had been told about their not so great premises & facilities but of course they do have a good teaching reputation which is more important.

I completely stand by everything I said re our audition experience at CSB. In comparison to other schools there was a definate lack of welcoming atmosphere, professionalism, organisation...........and basic civility to be quite honest. First impressions are pretty important - just ask any audition panel. Perhaps they had (had) a long day etc but I am pretty sure they were regular staff.

However, I felt I had to quote from my own post for the benefit of those who have failed to read it properly yet accuse me of "judging CSB by their premises" !?! Where are you all reading this ?? Or perhaps I have just unwittingly hit a raw nerve

Edited by TillieJ
  • Like 1

Just wanted to say that after my grumbling a little about the open day being on a different day, I am so glad we went to it yesterday.

The standard of the dancing was fantastic. DD was very impressed with the teaching style (as was I) too.

After moving around the school, I can now well see why parents couldn't go further than the entrance hall at prelim. There was no room there for anyone from the school to address everyone and so I'm not sure what they could have improved on other than to state more explicitly in the letter that there would be no opportunity to see the school or faculty during prelims. Having said that, there was no intimation that there would be, so any expectation on my side was hope rather than anything else.

Just to add, I'm not commenting on your experience, Tilly, just following up on my own previous comments.

• Like 2

Maybe a lesson for future auditionees to take from this thread is that it's very difficult to get an accurate idea picture of a school on audition day. DC did the upper school auditions in 2011 - I still feel sick remembering the stress of the auditions and the awful wait for letters! We'd been well advised though and had managed to get courses booked at each school on the list in the couple of years before auditions. By the time the auditions rolled around DC already had a good feel for the schools and was clear on which were the best fit so the fluffy welcome (or lack of one) wasn't important and some faces on panels were familiar.

I'd really recommend spending some time training at a school (if at all possible) to get a real feel for it. Interestingly, one school slipped down the list when DC felt insuffient time was given to auditionees to warm up because they'd been given a tour of the facilities. I guess they all have different priorities, DC actually preferred the less fussy more adult atmosphere at Central, chose it above others and spent 3 very happy and successful years there. Of course it's all in the eye of the beholder and the audition wasn't DC's only chance to behold. ????

Good luck to your daughter in her remaining auditions, I hope she finds the right place for her.

• Like 1

Guest Autumn days

Noting comments etc, above, on the state of the Central School premises - with which I'm not familiar - users may be interested in this link:

https://bdaily.co.uk/environment/03-03-2015/russian-billionaire-acquires-southwark-ballet-school-accommodation-for-61-million/

What significance, if any, this acquisition may have for hope of improvement or for anything else, I leave to you.

Edit:  I've now found that there are other, essentially similar, links around, but have seen none that add to what's here.

Perhaps I am missing something but Central isn't currently on the same site as Paris Gardens or even in Southwark. There was talk, several years ago, of this site being developped as student accommodation and the school but that hasn't materialised - unless the school has actually taken space in the building but has yet to publicise it. I believe te student accommodation is due to open his Setember.

Hi TillyJ. I think it was subsequent posters who mentioned the older buildings. As someone who works in a school, I totally agree with you that first impressions, including a welcoming atmosphere, are crucial to sell a school to the best candidates, which is what every school needs to do.

• Like 1