Upper School Finals - pointe work

Direction_of_your_dreams

DD didn't struggle with pointe work at finals (she is at Central now) but she was working at Adv 2 level, She was non vocational, had done a couple of Wells Master Classes but no summer schools before entry. She was a RBS SA2 and was on a CAT scheme. What helped her most was having a wonderful ballet teacher who taught her so well. The last 2 years were manic - only 1 evening per week without ballet and many hours travelling as we are very rural.- didn't help the school work much, but she got where she wanted to be with lots of commitment and hard work. I really think that each school can see what it wants in a student and if someone cant do the pointe work that others can, the panel can look past that and at the students potential for the training they offer .

• Like 8

I really wouldn't worry about pointe at auditions. Nobody is going to be selected on the basis of their pointework and fouettés are not a good indicator of ability, they are really just a trick. My advice would be to concentrate on the rest of the audition and really show what you're about. Give the pointe your best shot but don't worry about it as pointe can be taught easily once the technique is in place and is a small part of the audition. They have probably made up their mind well before you get to the pointe section at the end.

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this thread as auditions start as I'm really interested (for future reference ) to know what pointe work is required at classical auditions for upper schools. Thanks!

Me too! Let’s just hope you haven’t re-ignited the voc versus non-voc bunfight as well :)

• Like 1

Hello, as the person who started this thread, just though I would update that my dd coped with all the pointe work/auditions...she was working for her RAD Avanced at the same time and found the exam harder than any of her finals, so guess that was/is the level to aim for. And she was pleased to report, she was never asked to do fouettés Hope that helps!

• Like 5

DD said no pointe work at prelims last year but to take pointe shoes as it changes year on year, but she did do pointe at Tring as her solo was en pointe .Pointe was required in finals- fouettes were required at English National Ballet School and the Royal Ballet School. DD also said requirements also can vary between groups.

• Like 1

Great thanks for that information. Was your dd working for Adv1 or Adv 2? I hope your daughter had a good outcome from her auditions.

It was Adv 1, don't mean to imply she found the auditions easier per se....think she found the exam 'harder' as she wasn't in the mindset of exams, only auditions, and it was just something else to worry about. Anyway, moot point as Celb has just confirmed each yr and school has different requirements as fouettés were required last yr!

I have often wondered who sets the audition class, is it the teacher taking it or does the AD specify in advance, can they tell from the standard in the room that it needs to be taken up a notch so ok, let's try them on Fouettés - don't really expect an answer, just pondering!