The Royal Ballet: Swan Lake, February 2015

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the transmission, having stayed for the whole of the curtain calls - as had most of the audience in the pretty full Curzon cinema in Wimbledon - I turned to a gentleman a couple of seats away, and said "That was magnificent" - and he agreed.

If I hadn't already had a dormant interest in ballet awakened by the live transmission of RB's "Manon", this would have done it for me. I know that posters in this forum find many flaws in this version of "Swan Lake", and I would agree with many of them.

But somehow, all those flaws didn't seem to matter. I was just enthralled by the excellence of the dancing, both by the principals and by the very impressive Corps, combined with the beautiful playing of Tchaikovsky's wonderful music.

I know that Matthew Golding doesn't seem that popular among the knowledgeable posters on this forum. All I can say is that he did what he had to do, and very well. It seems to me that Siegfried is a difficult role as it is almost bound to be partly eclipsed by the role of Odette/Odile.

As for Natalia Osipova - again, clearly not a favourite with many on here - I had not seen her dance before, but knew she has a great reputation. From what I saw last evening the reputation seems to me to be fully deserved. She is the first Odette/Odile I have seen who has not only impressed me with her dancing, but made me actually fully believe in the characters. I cannot compare her with such as Evgenia Obraztsova, as I haven't seen their performances. I am quite prepared to believe that Obraztsova is better than Osipova - but she must be some dancer if she is! 

Osipova struck me as not just a wonderful dancer, but a fine actress. Perhaps this impression was helped by seeing her on live filmed transmission. Here we could see close-ups, in a way which otherwise could only be seen by those in the nearest rows to the stage - and even then not as well.

I wonder if this isn't in some ways the best way of viewing a ballet/opera/play. Of course this depends on having excellent camera operators, programme directors etc. And of course the live audience in the theatre is absolutely necessary to provide the atmosphere and support for the performers. Watching ballet and opera in live transmissions makes me wish that we too could "applaud" in such a way as would add to the encouragement for the artists performing.

Some observations from this novice at ballet appreciation:

The "drunken tutor" I could well do without, but somehow he didn't annoy me this time - and he has a role to play in providing an opportunity for the two young ballet-school students to have a short time in the limelight.

I love the long dresses for the swans. They look to me both beautiful and swanlike. And when worn by an excellent Corps such as that at the RB, add to the ethereal beauty of the scenes.

Finally - please don't shoot the cygnets! Yes, they do somewhat "destroy" the atmosphere after the very emotional PDD - but that's surely exactly what they are meant to do. It is almost impossible for any dramatic art to sustain an elevated emotional atmosphere without some moments of "light relief". Shakespeare, for one, understood this, as anyone who has seen, for example, "Macbeth", will have noticed.

If that was how Tchaikovsky wrote it, it adds to my appreciation of his supreme genius.

• Like 11

I still have the music in my head from last night. I thought it was brilliant but oh please, someone give Matthew Golding some acting lessons! He is a brilliant technician but his lack of ability in the drama department stuck out like a sore thumb to my family. Normally it doesn't matter, but in Swan Lake it really does. I thought the orchestra were equally good. My evening was further made by meeting one of the girls I used to dance with at my first ballet school here.

• Like 2

please, someone give Matthew Golding some acting lessons! He is a brilliant technician but his lack of ability in the drama department stuck out like a sore thumb to my family.

I have to agree - he reminded me of a young Roger Moore, both facially and in the extent of his range of expressions! Perhaps a first step would be learning to raise one eyebrow :D

• Like 2

I have to agree. It was the first time I had seen him. If he had not acted at all, that would have been all right, but he seemed to be making faces all the time that I found distracting. It looked more as if he had a terrible attack of indigestion than anything else.

If he could just relax his facial muscles completely, the overall look would be so much better.  In fact in act 2 they both looked as if they were in acute physical pain. I found it off-putting.

It is difficult because, as with the theatre, acting on stage and on film are two different things and it is hard for them to be filmed close-up when they are projecting to a big theatre. That said, I have not noticed a problem with the  other live screenings so it seems to me these two performers overdo the dramatics.

• Like 5

For those of you who don't have time to search around the Net to find the FT review since we can't get to it via the Links page, here is a quote from Mr Crisp on Obraztsova/McRae's performances on Monday night:

Yevgenia Obraztsova’s quietly brilliant performance showed the ballet’s choreography in a pure state.  There is no fuss to her bravura, the dance shown with something like self-effacing modesty, set off by her entire command of effect. McRae found himself, with a fine fervour and bright-edged clarity in step, in the third and fourth acts. I much admire their joint performance. Obraztsova shows us, almost discreetly, the choreography in as pure a state as she can. McRae, ardent in step and feeling, complements her reading. We see the real Swan Lake.

This is one of those times that I wholeheartedly agree with Mr Crisp!!

• Like 6

.......It is difficult because, as with the theatre, acting on stage and on film are two different things and it is hard for them to be filmed close-up when they are projecting to a big theatre. That said, I have not noticed a problem with the  other live screenings so it seems to me these two performers overdo the dramatics.

Very different things Mary, but as a person who regularly sits in the amphi, I really appreciate those dancers who project beyond the front six rows of the stalls. Unfortunately to tone down expression for the occasional close up when filming would lose all the spontaneity of the performance.

I actually thought the camera work was a vast improvement on previous broadcasts...fewer close-up shots (especially on dancers getting their breath back after solos etc), and more focus on footwork. I wish they had included Gary Avis's side-play with the drink he gives to the Queen in Act 3, but then it is never going to be perfect for absolutely everyone.

The cinema I was at in Bristol sat in awed silence throughout, but the place was buzzing at the intervals and when all filing out I kept hearing words such as 'sensational', 'amazing', 'awe inspiring' and ''simply wonderful'. My neighbour was not alone in being totally blown away by Natalia Osipova's performance and kept thanking us all the way home!

We are all definitely in the 'Osipova for National Treasure' camp here.

• Like 2

Poor Matthew Golding, he does get slated for his acting, doesn't he? Fortunately, his beautiful dancing was compensation last night, and let's face it, Swan Lake is all about Odette/Odile, really. Poor Siegfried doesn't have much to do, especially in Act 1 which in this production is just too messy and silly for my liking.

I was vastly entertained by Golding's face during the Princesses' dance in Act 3 though - he looked as if he could whip out his phone and Tweet "Oh gawd, more potential wives. SO over it. #whatevs" :-D

I really enjoyed Osipova's Odette - she's so fluid with her arms in the turns that each movement flows so lyrically into the next. I do prefer Nuñez' Odette on the whole, but as Odile, Osipova knocked it out of the park for me. She was outstanding last night in Act III and my jaw was on the floor at the energy she put into those fouettés. I found her breathtaking.

• Like 7

I can't believe I cocked up and missed it! Having used a voucher to see Winters Tale, thought I'd be ok for Swan Lake. Wrong! As ever, Vue cinemas just make things up as they go along. Wouldn't even let me make up the difference between the standard ticket price (what this voucher was for) and the 'special' price, that Swan Lake was. And darn it, I didn't have enough cash on me (or a credit card) to pay outright. And by the time I queued whilst people bought 'refreshments' not enough time to pop home again either. Grrr!

I've not been a fan a Golding since he joined the RB but to me he's improved enormously recently : Onegin & Siegfried. Personally, last night I think he think he did exactly the amount of acting necessary for the prince. When your solos and partnering are as superb as his were and your line as elegant and beautiful, no major embellishment is required. Osipova, on the other hand, puzzles me in Swan Lake. She's my number one reason for going to the RB these days and her Kitri, Tatiana and Giselle are the finest I've seen, I love how she develops her interpretation of these roles too. BUT her Odette doesn't move me at all, it didn't in the first run with Acosta and it didn't last night. I can't put my finger on it but only in Act IV did I feel the tragedy of Odette in Ospiova's movement - maybe in Act 2 she's too focused on dealing with all the mime ! She's probably more suited to Odile but was too gymnastic - she's so technically strong there's no need to push her fouettes until she looks in danger of coming off. 

• Like 6

To be honest, there's no need to compare Osipova and Obraztsova - two completely different interpretations by two completely different ballerinas, both in terms of their background and style.  I felt that both interpretations worked perfectly and were well supported by Steven and Mathew.  I did like the company overall much more last night (and happy the spakles flied for the recorded performance).  Can't wait to watch it somewhere on the screen. 

• Like 6

I loved Osipova - I thought her Odette was very emotional, more creature of terrible despair than a woman. Her Odile was sensational - I don't think I've ever seen fouettes as fast as hers. I was not such a fan of Golding's acting, but he danced very beautifully. Gary Avis was just awesome, such a great villain. Why is this his last Von Rothbart? Oddly enough, watching SL really made me nostalgic for Marianela Nunez when she used to dance one of the big swans - although she's a wonderful O/O herself, I don't think I've seen the role danced as beautifully as she used to do it

I thought Bussell's recorded conversation with Dowell felt a bit more natural than her questions to Cope/Harvey. The emphasis she placed on certain words made me feel a bit like I was a very small child being told a story (well, maybe it was directed at a younger audience) :-)  I would love for her to relax and speak to the camera like she would speak to a normal person. I enjoy her presence on Strictly so I know she has it in her.

I also kinda question the point of one veteran dancer asking questions to other veteran dancers when its obvious she knows the answers and they know she knows the answers - it feels a bit pointless and makes everything seem very bland and lack spontaneity. It might be better to give the interviewing role to people who are informed but not insiders (plenty of examples from RB insight days) who have more searching questions and can elicit deeper responses. Anyway, the two young dancers she interviewed were very sweet and I enjoyed their bits of dancing a great deal.

Our Odeon was less than half full, surprising given that Giselle last year had sold out. I'm also surprised that while I was out an the interval, an old lady who was sitting next to us leaned over to tell my partner conspiratorially, "It's not really live, you know." ??? Conspiracy theory? :D  

Edited by Sunrise
  • Like 3

I was also sad to see via Twitter that it was Gary Avis's last performance as Von Rothbart. He went out with a suitable evil rendition. I will miss him. He isn't retiring, is he? I do hope not.

Oh tell me Gary Avis isn't retiring! Best actor in the company. He can dance too.

Apparently Gary Avis says he will not be dancing Von Rothbart anymore in this particular production, thank goodness. He seemed quite sad and emotional last night but perhaps he really loves this version?

This was the best presented ballet I have seen so far at the cinema, interesting interviews and backstage warm-ups, thought Darcey Bussell did very well talking to the little girls, Anthony Dowell, and Cynthia Harvey and Jonathan Cope, now know that Anthony Dowell was going with the usual medieval period designs but Yolanda Sonnabend kept insisting it was set in Tchaikovsky's time, so he agreed!

The one thing that I don't think anyone else has commented on was the bad quality of the picture, I know this is a well lit production and have seen it 3 times this season, but it came over as dull and sepia tinted, it was very difficult to see some of the dancing, I suppose it will always depend on the cinema's equipment, but disappointing.

I thought that one of the cameras had a problem, wideshot from stage left - there was a lot of flickering that made it look like a camera flash was going flicking on and off, but this wasn't a problem with the other cameras.

Siegfried's black tights against the black floor came off badly as well. I don't know why this was never changed (apart from the odd renegade dancer) but I really hope they don't make the same mistake for the next production.

• Like 3

I can't believe I cocked up and missed it! Having used a voucher to see Winters Tale, thought I'd be ok for Swan Lake. Wrong! As ever, Vue cinemas just make things up as they go along. Wouldn't even let me make up the difference between the standard ticket price (what this voucher was for) and the 'special' price, that Swan Lake was. And darn it, I didn't have enough cash on me (or a credit card) to pay outright. And by the time I queued whilst people bought 'refreshments' not enough time to pop home again either. Grrr!

I know :(.  I have several complimentary Odeon tickets, one for Picturehouses (from the time Esmeralda was cancelled at the Ritzy, in case Bruce W is interested - haven't been able to use it since!), not to mention easily enough points to cover the price of a "special event" ticket, but none of them are valid for the "culture" showings.  So I couldn't go.  I was working anyway, so it wasn't too much of a pain, but it would have been nice to be able to afford to go.

Our Odeon was less than half full, surprising given that Giselle last year had sold out. I'm also surprised that while I was out an the interval, an old lady who was sitting next to us leaned over to tell my partner conspiratorially, "It's not really live, you know." ??? Conspiracy theory? :D  

Huh???  My local Odeon didn't quite sell out either of its screens either (well, it may have done on last-minute walkups), and there are loads of places left for the re-showing on Sunday.  I wonder if a lot of people went to the Bolshoi Swan Lake instead, or whether they'd been there, done that the previous time Swan Lake was shown.

Dave, you can catch up on Sunday at cinemas in Sutton, Purley or Croydon.  Plus the Fairfield Hall which has very good acoustics.

Linda

I'll be heading for the gala at Sad Wells, so will miss it even if they are.

Is Fairfield doing a repeat?  Alternatively, what about Wimbledon Odeon (or Curzon?)  My local's doing a 2 pm repeat, so you could make it up to Sadler's in time from there if necessary.  Drop me a PM or give me a ring, Dave (if you've got my number?) if you need to know more.  (But see my comments on weekend engineering works elsewhere).

The one thing that I don't think anyone else has commented on was the bad quality of the picture, I know this is a well lit production and have seen it 3 times this season, but it came over as dull and sepia tinted, it was very difficult to see some of the dancing, I suppose it will always depend on the cinema's equipment, but disappointing.

I'm afraid the Act IV lighting is very yellow, except around the ballerina.  The darkness has, unfortunately, proved difficult to overcome on previous broadcasts.

There's a 2pm showing at the Vue in Islington Dave. We are seriously considering making a 'day' of it...... but don't buy all the tickets until I've got mine!

Better still!  Of course, central London ones may be pricier.  It's so difficult to know with the range of prices even within the same chain!