Hammond school 6th form

jade

Hi my dd has a audition early feb for hammond dance sixth form. Would love to hear your experiences of the audition and school. My dd is nervous about the singing and drama part of the day ! She takes drama at school and can hold a tune but does not have singing lessons of any sort ! She is a classical dancer but takes modern and tap lessons also. Thanks in advance x

I don't know much about the drama part of the audition but singing is looking for potential.

Choose a song that is within her comfort zone & that has a journey or if she isn't a strong vocalist one that she can act through.

Don't choose something that is associated with someone very famous (unless she can sing it better) for example Defying Gravity is Idina Menzel.

Have the music clearly marked & in the right key. Don't be afraid to hum first couple of lines to the pianist to show the tempo.

And relax. The panel are very nice :)

• Like 2

I agree Hammond will be looking for potential and an ability to lend her hand to most of the skill set with the right training.  DD was in the same position when she went for the Hammond audition. She sang 'castle on a cloud' as she doesn't have a strong voice but has a nice little tone.  Good luck they are lovely staff!  :)

• Like 1

Hi Jade

We only have experience of lower school in this house but elder dd did do the Upper School audition.

They seem to put lots of emphasis on wanting to see performance.

The facilities are lovely and the staff are very welcoming.

Is it possible to get a couple of singing lessons before the audition ? It might put your dd a little more at ease with singing as a teacher can advise a song that suits her and show her how to mark the music as , if it's still the same , you need sheet music .

2dancersmum will know a lot more about 6th form.

Good Luck to your dd .

Edited for bad grammar

Edited by HAIRBELLES
  • Like 1

Good luck to your DD.  As the others have said, the school and staff are lovely and very friendly.  They do know a lot of the dancers auditioning will not have much, if any singing experience and they know they will be nervous.  The audition format has changed slightly since my DD auditioned but I can tell you that she was very nervous when it came to singing, to the extent that when she finished they had a little chat with her and told her to try again.  So I am sure that willingness to give it a go and potential must be factors as other posters have said.  I agree with the advice of a couple of singing lessons beforehand if possible - or even just a chat with the music teachers at school to build her confidence.

I'm not sure if it is in your letter but it is certainly on the website for the running order of the audition day so you can see that all the dance except solos comes first.  I liked the Hammond audition because it gives them a good chance to show their dance skills as they are not just in and out and it gives them time to get over initial nerves and show what they can do.  I have to admit though that from the parents viewpoint I found it the worst audition because of the cut after lunch.  Most auditions you can at least enjoy the day and then wait for the results to come through.  I had to take someone elses child last year and the journey home was awful after they were asked to leave after lunch. 

I hope you and your DD have a lovely day. Good luck

• Like 2

Thank you 2dancermum. I just hope my dd makes it through the full day at audition !! Must be horrible if not - although I guess if you want to make it in this field you have to become use to the no's . I tell my dd just because it is a no now, it doesn't mean it's a no forever , and different schools look for different things. You can't be everyone's cup of tea !!! X

I'm sure that they're looking for potential and will take it into account if she has not had any formal vocal training.

Interesting that they do a cut after lunch. Does that mean that some of the candidates don't get to show their solos? I suppose that at least you avoid the wait for results, but I know how bad that journey home feels when you're not asked to stay as my very first audition was like that!

• Like 1

I've got an audition for Hammond in March... I've been busy with exams at school over the past few weeks so haven't even started planning my audition pieces :S are most of the auditionees invited to stay for the afternoon session? What are some good ideas for the monologues? I've chosen the Shakespeare one but have no clue what contemporary one would be good!!!

Jade, I don't have singing lessons either- I used to...... After 6 months I came to the conclusion that ballet was more important to me- and I was rubbish at singing anyway :P

• Like 1

Singing technique can be taught & whilst (like dance) some people have a better natural technique than others there are very very few people who can not be taught to hold a tune & sing with a nice clear tone as long as they are willing to give it a go.

I really really really must nag dh to run some Singing Auditions for Terrified Dancers workshops!

• Like 4

I think that you would be inundated for that Pictures. So many dancers don't sing, and yet it is such an important skill to develop, both for understanding music and job auditions - you never know where that first job will be. I remember my mum saying that when she did her first dance audition for a job they watched the class, then asked if anyone coukd do left handed cartwheels. My mum was the only one that could do them, so got the job! This was in the 1950's and I don't think dancers were anywhere as acrobatic as they are now.

Hi Jade I agree with what has been said here the panel were absolutely lovely with my DD especially after the second song/ solo/ drama piece. She said one of the panel was almost singing along with her and after she finished and sat down for the interview one of them told her she had really enjoyed her performance, so I think as someone said above "performing"is really important. It is hard waiting to hear if they are to be cut at lunchtime I had gone in to Chester but was sitting in the car just in case I had to go back but as someone else said at least you know straight away and it was obvious that the staff knew how hard it was for those not chosen to stay and I am sure they were kind. Two students were cut at lunchtime in my DDs audition but I din't know if this is a normal number or not.

Swanprincess try looking on the internet at Lazybee scripts : http://www.lazybeescripts.co.ukthey have downloadable monologues which you can read before you buy then download them plus they are cheap (a couple of pounds maybe) especially if you are not buying the performance rights (you dont need to buy these if you are not performing in public).

• Like 1

From the horses mouth so to speak.

Don't get worked up about it, it's only an audition not a life or death situation. We are looking at this stage for potential. We have all been there & understand that many dancers are not confident singers.

Saying that make sure you know your song well

. LEARN THE WORDS!!!!!!!!

Be prepared to sing the whole song but we may only be able to listen to 16 bars depending on numbers & time or we may have heard what we need to in that time.

We may be looking for technical issues. This is not a problem, we sort things like a breathy tone out all the time during training.

Don't click your fingers at the pianist (a pet hate) & let the pianist know the speed you want by singing a couple of lines. This way it is much more likely to be accurate. Many candidates try to conduct at one speed then start singing another.

Above all don't worry!

• Like 4

I would also add that a 'thank you' to the accompanist is much appreciated and has even been remarked upon - so sadly it must be very unusual. And even if you have a terrible cold and sore throat, do your best to sing regardless; the panel will know you aren't 100% and oddly enough the singing voice is often affected less by a cold/sore throat than the speaking voice.

• Like 1

My DD is currently at Hammond and did the audition before Christmas. She did her own choreo (contemporary). I think the others all did too. I would imagine there was quite a bit of jazz/modern done too. If you have any other questions just ask, as I can get DD to answer.

• Like 2

Well my dd has just finished hammond upper school audition. She thankfully didn't get cut after lunch but my heart goes out to those that did. She loves the school , staff and students were lovely to her ! All the worry about her songs and drama !

but it went well and she's tried her best! So fingers crossed to all wanting a place at this school x

• Like 9

I am sorry SarahW, I don't know how I missed your post (or if I thought I typed a long reply & then didn't post it - I can't blame baby brain as she is 17.....eek I must be getting older)

She is loving Performers Pre-voc & getting ready to start auditions; we are off to Move it at the weekend and she is planning summer work (backstage), summer school also backstage & driving lessons for the summer

Is your daughter younger?  What is she up to?

Hi swanprincess , I would just give the school a quick phone call they are really nice and there is nothing worse than wondering !! Pluse it would be good to know before they break up for half term. The next audition is 9 March so it's still a few weeks away but either way if it was me I'd phone or email x

• 2 weeks later...

I asked the same question last year on behalf of a friend who had finals for Hammond and was told it was a ballet class followed by a musical theatre workshop.  Cannot be more help as when my DD auditioned they still had only one audition - like Northern and DDs friend did not in the end even go to the funding audition last year.