Lower school final auditions

Waitingmum

I was worried about the academic tests as well but have had an email from Elmhurst to say they do them when the join (if they are offered a place that is!)  

Has anyone's dc with offers for The Hammond been asked to do academic tests yet? Our offer letter said they send them to their current school for completion, but dd hasn't done one yet?

My DD had academic tests sent to school to complete.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh, has that come round already. Have a wonderful day - I have such a clear memory of our finals day there despite it being about 10 years ago! I then used to help on the pta table just so I could be there to share other people's ;-)

You've got a lovely day for it too - WL and Richmond Park in the sunshine is lovely.

Obviously I wish you all luck but savour the day no matter what the outcome -remember that sadly more people will get a no than a yes.

• Like 4

Thanks everyone, great day and experience, won't give too much away as I don't want to spoil it for you. My dd thoroughly enjoyed but as vonrothbart and others suggested in previous posts there are no y8 places available which is most disappointing. Good luck to all those next Friday! Enjoy!

• Like 1

Oh well why even audition year 8's then?? Doesn't seem to make sense? Or be fair on those auditioning for a year 8 place?? Do you think they meant that none of the year 7's have been assessed out this year or as in they have changed their assessment policy? Interesting news!

If that's correct  then why do they audition for yr 8 and 9, unless it's on the off chance a child quits the school? Personally I think it might be a little hasty assessing someone out, after just a year. It wouldn't really do their selection reputation a lot of good, as they must see quite a lot of potential of a young dancer at the audition. 

Edited by Vonrothbart

They have been known to offer day places in years where there is no boarding room.

And I'm glad to hear the new management are saying they won't assess out of year 7, I hope they mean it (because they used to say that before but they did sometimes still do it)

• Like 5

There can be all sorts of twists and turns where places are concerned. Places that aren't there at audition time or that have been offered elsewhere can become available very late in the academic year, for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes a bed may be available, but if a school doesn't see what they want at audition, they may not necessarily fill it - a few years ago my dd went to finals at WL for one of the later years and they didnt offer anyone a place for that year. We've also had to give up a year 7 offer as late as June and when dd then auditioned again, she did so knowing that there were no places available for that year. However, she was wait listed and we got a call in August offering a place.

• Like 1

From a personal point of view, I know for a fact that the year 7 DC have worked extremely hard to pass their appraisal this year!! That's why none of them have been assessed out, because they all passed!! Believe me the assessment procedure is very real and the pressure on both the kids and the parents is extreme!! It's a fantastic achievement to get to finals and never give up hope, but also the DC in year 7 have worked so hard to get there too!! As for places, if they like what they see they will often make room! There are currently 13 year 8 girls !!

• Like 2

I can imagine the pressure on children and parents can be immense, it makes sense totally what we were told yesterday that the year 7s have only been there a few months and so righfully no decision should be made this year for them and the deciding years would be year 8 and 9. We had a lovely day yesterday and never expected to even be there for a second. Even if we would have known there wereno places before hand I still would have gone and taken my dd. well done to the year 7s, they were so friendly and polite and left lovely messages. It would be amazing to learn there could be a place and I'm sure my dd will keep dreaming!

• Like 1