RBS Mid Associates (MA) audition

anneeliz

Lottie, this changed in 2014 because I remember the Associate class timetable for 2013 had class times for JA1, JA2, MA1 & MA2. I believe the children from the other JA centre that was feeding into the MA class were eventually given the 2 or so places that became available.

• Like 1

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all, thanks for all the support, lovely ideas about other associate schemes and fantastic success stories. I think for my dd though this may be the point that ballet becomes a passion to pursue recreationally. She is off to the Tring Easter course on Monday and is counting down the days!

• Like 2

Hello all, thanks for all the support, lovely ideas about other associate schemes and fantastic success stories. I think for my dd though this may be the point that ballet becomes a passion to pursue recreationally. She is off to the Tring Easter course on Monday and is counting down the days!

Yes I would agree for my dd as well, lovely to hear all the inspiring stories though. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi bq, you will get an info pack in summer term which has order forms/details. The Leo is from a certain supplier as it has Royal Ballet School printed on it, pink tights, flats and pointe shoes are essential, optional is fleece and joggers which are purchased through another dance shop based in Peterborough but can be ordered over the phone. Blue waist belt is also essential but think that comes with the Leo. Sizing is bit funny so if you need any help when you get the forms, send me a pm! We ended up ordering a few and sending back the ones which didn't fit, delivery is very quick so don't panic about nor having in time. Hope that helps xx

Thanks so much wildflowers, do the pink ballet shoes have to be pink leather or can they be canvas? Also, I have read about people having to make a skirt??? Is this still true- I hope not, lol! And yes I may message you about sizing nearer the time if that's ok, thanks

I know for Ja's, the tracksuit/hoodys were massive, if the Ma ones are from the same supplier, I wouldn't order too big. Also ( again, from a Ja point of view, but i should imagine the same rules apply.....)Manchester centre prefers satin shoes, whilst everyone else prefers leather. I think. It's to do with the floors, apparently. :0)

Ah, I'm speaking for London only, no skirts required - that was JA's nightmare! Nor leather shoes, we had canvas split soles,in our experience, I think there is an element of teacher preference so don't panic too much and change your dd's shoes until after first lesson as teacher will tell you what they prefer. Xx

Does anyone know how important it is (or even how left out my DD may feel) by not being on pointe yet? I know 11 is still relatively young for pointe, and I'm sure I read somewhere (but can't remember where) that they don't even have pointe lessons at White Lodge until age 13. I think the plan is for my DD to start pointe after Christmas, and I'm keen for her to make that move when it's right and not to rush it, I'm just hoping this won't hold her back or make her feel inadequate when she starts MAs in September.

The pointe work in MAs is extremely limited- even for MA2 final year. In fact I think it's fair to say in general there is a lot of repetition of the basics to perfect the technique, no desire to see a high leg etc. It can be a bit of a frustration for eager girls who are allowed to move through to pirouetting en pointe etc and are encouraged to have the leg at 180 in other classes but of course you can see why it's done this way. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks vonrothbart. I'm guessing it's at the same place as the audition? My dd is looking forward to it although I think a bit nervous- I'm sure there will be a few new starters so hopefully she won't be the only one feeling as she is:)

• 4 weeks later...