Films We Like

Fiz

I watch "Room" this weekend which is a rather disturbing tale of a young girl abducted age 17 and kept in a shed for 7 years, during which time she has a child.  I expected it to be very depressing at the start and uplifting after she gets free, but found it oddly the other way round.  Very much worth the watch though.

Coincidentally we watched Room last night too, with maybe too high expectations based on Mark Kermode's review.  I found it interesting, gritty and worth the watch, but it didn't blow me away as I'd been expecting.  The abductor's sudden credulity jarred, and frankly we couldn't stand the little boy - although that was possibly a testament to his acting conveying what the situation would have done to him.   I had at the back of my mind another film, 3096 Days, based on the true story of the Natasha Kampusch abduction (around the accounts of which there is still much controversy).  That was a tougher watch and brought out the abductor's chilling character more starkly; worth looking it up.

I watched "Eye in the Sky" a few weeks back, with Helen Mirren, Alan Rickman (in his last major role, I believe) and Aaron Paul (Jesse from Breaking Bad). Fortunately the cinema was not packed, as I think I might have hissed "Gah!", "Bloody HELL" and "JUST DO IT!!!" a few times. Very tense!

• Like 1

Yes, but I have an allocation of freebie tickets I need to use up: I keep accumulating them because all these ballet broadcasts are so expensive, but I can't use them for the ballet performances, so they just sit there, metaphorically piling up ...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was going to say "Is it a Picturehouse?", but I've checked and it isn't. Sounds great - apart from the possible crunching of nachos, I suppose. Just as long as the ale-drinkers keep it away from under my nose :)

I caught up with Love and Friendship last week - it's been difficult, as local cinemas have only been showing it in the afternoons - and enjoyed it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not only a film we like but a cinema - The Electric in Birmingham.  Comfy seats, their own ale (or you could opt for cocktails!), nachos served in bowls with home made dip and a good (if not great) film - Love and Friendship.  

What's not to like?

The cinema in Penistone (near Barnsley) still have an interval  and  you can purchase alcohol at the bar. or an  ice cream from the usher, or both!.  I love old fashioned cinema's. 

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

I have just finished watching OJ: Made in America. This documentary won an Oscar and although it is very long - 8 hours or so - it is riveting as social history alongside the story of Simpson. Despite being so well known and already extensively documented, the tragedy is here given new perspective with the benefit of distance.

The work is divided into three parts and currently available on BBC iPlayer. I thoroughly recommend it.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 1

I saw Viceroy's House at the cinema tonight.  I thought it an intelligent and thought provoking film about the last few months leading up to Indian independence and the creation of Pakistan.  The cast all gave terrific performances.  I was very moved at the end.

• Like 1