How much do ballet dancers earn?

ZooZoo

I am wondering if anyone knows whether, in the UK companies, dancers receive a bonus for a) dancing certain roles above their level (for example, three of the five Lenskys on this Onegin run are Artists/First Artist) and B) doing extra shows in lead roles to cover for injuries etc.

From that website I gather that contracts are permanent at British companies, and I was wondering what that meant in practical terms.

What happens if a new artistic director arrives and finds that some of the dancers aren't what he wants for the company, or that he believes a dancer has been promoted beyond her ability or maybe isn't motivated or working hard any more - is there anything he can do other than make an individual dancer's life miserable in the hope she takes the hint and leaves? Can a director tell a principal, for example, "sorry, I don't see a future for you as a principal but I can put you on a first soloist contract"? Or is a dancer's position in the hierarchy secure once she's promoted?

Edited by Melody

From that website I gather that contracts are permanent at British companies, and I was wondering what that meant in practical terms.

What happens if a new artistic director arrives and finds that some of the dancers aren't what he wants for the company, or that he believes a dancer has been promoted beyond her ability or maybe isn't motivated or working hard any more - is there anything he can do other than make an individual dancer's life miserable in the hope she takes the hint and leaves? Can a director tell a principal, for example, "sorry, I don't see a future for you as a principal but I can put you on a first soloist contract"? Or is a dancer's position in the hierarchy secure once she's promoted?

As far as I am aware most companies in the UK these days offer annual contracts.  So if, for example, a new AD came in and wanted to have a spring clean s/he would only have to wait until the contracts of the dancers come up for renewal.