"Times" Watch - and other behind-paywall articles

WHAT'S THIS?

"This" is designed as a thread where readers can alert us - ideally in time for people to go and buy the hard copy if they want to :) - to any significant dance-related interviews/articles in The Times and other papers which hide behind paywalls and therefore can't be accessed electronically by the general public. Everyday dance reviews will probably be excluded.

If you feel the need to quote, please bear in mind our policy on excessive quoting, as mentioned by John below in Post #10.

Also remember that you may be able to access hard copies - and in some cases online copies - of papers via your local library.

I've pulled together a few existing threads about articles to start us off, but now it's over to you!

Alison

PS: Sorry, Ian, something seems to have gone wrong with the thread merge, and the board appears to have "borrowed" you and your original posting date as the author and start date!

(Additionally edited so that my edits come out in blue; Ian's original post is in black)

-----------------

If online, it'll be behind the paywall - but today's Sunday Times Magazine has a 7-page feature on Tamara Rojo, following her from her arrival at ENB to the opening of Sleeping Beauty.

Edited by alison
Added reason behind the thread

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The article links to a video of Rojo talking about ballet for newcomers - what to see (Giselle) and what to wear (pyjamas if you're with your longterm parner!). It includes film of her in ENB's Sleeping Beauty. Also behind the paywall, of course.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

As we are unable to access material in The TImes/Sunday Times on here, I thought that I would mention the existence of this article [edit: about Marianela Nunez] while there was time to catch the hard copy today.

Edited by alison
Clarification
  • Like 4

It is a nice article but nothing new.  Basically saying how "sunny" she is, but that she has proved she has a more dramatic side in recent roles.  And that now that Alina, Tamara & Leanne have left she is the senior ballerina.   Then a bit about the new production of Don Q, which is really the PR purpose of the article I think.

• Like 2

Is it worth scrubbing up to go as far as the high street for, Capybara?  It is Sunday, after all.... 

As Pas de Quatre says, it is really a PR article - quote: "In a new Don Quixote, Marianela Nunez will show why she's queen at Covent Garden". However, and although we probably know most of it, the author does a really good job in reinforcing the dance and personal qualities we love in Marianela. And it is nice for her that she is being given the prominence she has long deserved and someone is calling her "the company's most accomplished star".

• Like 3

We usually have the Sunday Times but are sometimes on the hunt for it as late as 7 or 8 pm when some of nearest local shops have sold out and end up doing the garage rounds sometimes just grabbing one from the assistant tying them up for return!!

So better make sure get out there a bit earlier today!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought a copy of The Sunday Times for this article and it's a challenging article to describe in brief. Basically it focuses upon how reserved Cojocaru is off stage and how she transforms on stage, she is presented as timid and the most unlikely of performers to have switched companies. There are also some interesting details in the article such as Cojocaru starting her warm up at 8.30am before everyone arrives for barre and not leaving until 7pm, that she uses resistance training to help her. How she recovered from injury I'm not sure if there will be anything new in the article for fans but it is a lovely article to read and has made me want to see Cojocaru perform in Le Corsaire. She comes across as a genuinely nice and diligent person dedicated to her art and embracing change and the opportunity of new challenges.

Shall look forward to reading this then. Have got the paper....middle section still wrapped up....didn't realise this was going to be in there lucky....as I bought the second to last paper left last night!!

• 1 year later...

I just wondered if this wonderful umbrella offering might not be best placed as a sub-section under the overall cover of the much appreciated LInks Section - much as the 'Special Offers' jacket is now so effectively located within the Ticket Exchange folder?  (Just a suggestion of course)

Edited by Bruce Wall

It's an idea, Bruce, but I think the whole concept of the Links forum is to keep it so that only the Links people can contribute to it, so it may not work. And come to think of it, if you're like me and end up not visiting the Links for some days you'll be too late to go and seek out a hard copy of the paper if you want to!

I just wondered if this wonderful umbrella offering might not be best placed as a sub-section under the overall cover of the much appreciated LInks Section - much as the 'Special Offers' jacket is now so effectively located within the Ticket Exchange folder?  (Just a suggestion of course)

I don't think we really want another sub-forum just to keep Mr Murdoch happy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

An interesting article in today's Times about Tree of Codes and Benjamin Millepied, looks really good and it says there will be a tour after Manchester including Sadler's Wells, no dates given yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Today's Sunday Times has a long interview with Osipova (by Sarah Crompton) in the Culture section.

For those who cannot access this, it covers her 'back story', joining the RB, fitting in and the good atmosphere there, the repertoire, her Giselle at La Scala, her love of dance, her new relationship (rumoured name given but, as she says she doesn't want to talk about it, perhaps best not to reveal him here) and the Ardani Gala.

The interview seems to have been given some time ago (i.e. just after her Giselle) and is clearly a promo for the upcoming Gala.

• Like 1

I was surprised at the rumoured new boyfriend :), it needs something to sell tickets for the Gala at the Coliseum, I bought a ticket for the Balcony which has now been closed, apart from the Stalls it's not looking good.

• 3 weeks later...