"Times" Watch - and other behind-paywall articles

Today's ST reports that the house in Victoria Road Kensington, where Rudolf Nureyev sought refuge after his 1961 defection, is to get a blue plaque. The house was owned by his friends, the dance critics Nigel Gosling and Maude Lloyd. The article is accompanied by a lovely photo of Nureyev dancing with Rosella Hightower in 1962.

• Like 1

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very pleased to see that Rudolf Nureyev is at last to be commemorated in London with a Blue Plaque but rather surprised that it isn't going to be sited on the house he owned at No 6 Fife Road, East Sheen, on the edge of Richmond Park, very close the Royal Ballet School.  His occupation of the house is we'll documented in the biographies written about him as well as the many interesting personalities he entertained there.  

• Like 1

The ST mag has a lengthy interview with Jonas Kaufmann - The world's greatest tenor. I would put this in the opera section but hardly seems worth creating a new thread. No offence to the WGT!

World's greatest tenor?  World's greatest almost a baritone perhaps.

The ST article calls him the world's etc etc! According to the interview, he says it was Placido Domingo who originally labelled him thus, so that's okay then.

There is also some old guff about Mr Kaufmann being astonishingly handsome but apart from that and one mention of Justin Bieber, it is worth a read.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No to all those. We'd get there by a process of elimination in the end, but in fact the dancer in question is Akane Takada, A  fine dancer whose rise to principal level got remarkably little attention in the press, so it's good to see her getting a bit of the limelight. But why just now, I wonder?

(Of course the headline may just be an attention-grabber and not reflect the actual article at all - we'll see tomorrow.)

• Like 3

Funny how I have never heard her name and you say she is a Principal, I thought Principal dancers should be very well known especially as  I read a lot of ballet and have seen most of the Cinema relays.

I mean no offence, but hearing her name, it makes me think of Lion King, Arkane Takada means "no worries" in Ballet :)

Edited by SwissBalletFan

2 hours ago, SwissBalletFan said:

Funny how I have never heard her name and you say she is a Principal, I thought Principal dancers should be very well known especially as  I read a lot of ballet and have seen most of the Cinema relays.

I mean no offence, but hearing her name, it makes me think of Lion King, Arkane Takada means "no worries" in Ballet :)

I'm sorry to say that it's not a criterion for promotion as to whether or not you in particular have heard of a dancer. I think the director of the Royal Ballet bases his decisions on more artistic reasons.  Some of us have had the pleasure of watching Takada grow from a very technically talented dancer into a very well rounded Royal Ballet dancer who works well in a number of styles. Her promotion last summer was, IMO, thoroughly deserved.

Whilst you may have meant no offence, I think it's pretty rude to make fun of someone's name (particularly when you don't even spell it correctly).  

• Like 9

Ok gosh, here goes then... I post pretty often, so thought forum members might be able to judge my input from them.

1) BBB, I obviously didn't think that my awareness was part of the criterion, just that usually the Principal dancers are more in the sphere of public awareness from their performances or the roles they have been given to shine. There are quite a few first soloists I have heard the name mentions many many times more frequently, on this forum and elsewhere.

2) It was not making fun of a 'foreign sounding name' rather than the way the sounds scan, I would have said the same if it was Hal-Kent Kentucky or similar. It was light hearted.

EDIT: The comment about not knowing her was reason to say that as an answer to the 'new sensation headline' it seems that for a certain part of the population this could be an apt description. I look forward to reading about her, increasing my ballet understanding and awareness of her performances.

Edited by SwissBalletFan