National youth ballet

Lilac

I have no experience of NYB so can anyone explain a bit about how it works. For example I have heard that this year they are dong Cindarella but also some other dances. Does this mean a full length ballet of Cinderella with some of dances sort of tagged on the end or are all the dances if similar length/ 'weight' ? Also how many dances do children generally get cast in? Does anyone have experience if the summer school and can describe what they do in the time when they aren't rehearsing their own dance? Thanks in advance, I am intrigued

There isn't a full length ballet - there are a variety of pieces of different length some classical and others modern or jazz with different choreographers of different ages and experience (from the hugely experienced to young choreographers still at voc school). There is an associate piece as well for younger children.

The standard is high and some children may be cast in only one thing while others especially some of the older children are very much showcased and dance in nearly everything. The costumes are always truly stunning and the whole thing is very professionally done. I think there are some scholarships but it isn't a cheap dance experience if your child only has a small part. On the other hand the first time my DD danced at about 9 yrs old I was so amazed by the standard I could barely believe she had been cast at all and thought it v unlikely she would ever get in again.   

At summer school (about 10 days) they have ballet classes when not rehearsing. They have a great time all in all and make good friends they then see year after year. Any homesick first timers are looked after well as are the little ones who attend summer school on a non-boarding basis. 

• Like 1

Yes heard this week that DD has parts in Cinderella and one other piece. Good to hear there are classes when not rehearsing as want to feel the fees are worth it. Was looking for another performance experience. Expect her's will be minor roles as she sat out a lot at the final audition? She was very pleased to get through.

This will be our first time doing NYB so I couldn't answer your questions Flora. All I know is Dd's in 'Cinderella' 'Four Seasons' and cover for 'Trotters'. Trotters sounds interesting, I have images of pigs doing ballet :-)

Hi All4dancers, yes nearly all the pieces that will be performed are listed on the contract and your child will only be in those with a tick next to them or a "cover" next to them.  There are a couple of other pieces that will be cast at Summer School (the covering letter gives details about that bit).  

Some pieces will be short 4 or 5 minute numbers and others will be mini ballets of around 15 to 20 mins.  I would imagine that the Cinderella piece will be a longer mini ballet but some of the "new pieces" will be shorter (these are the young up and coming choreographers who are still in training themselves).

This will be DD's 2nd season with them - last year she had a JA piece and a Main Cast piece and she loved it.  This year she is just Main Cast as she is 12 now.  

The standard is very high - some of the older girls and boys are very talented indeed and it is superbly run by the NYB team, from costuming and hair and makeup to the chaperones, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone who's done NYB before could answer some questions. DD has been accepted and chosen to dance in two items. Presumably this will mean quite a bit of non rehearsal time? So there will be ballet (other genre?) classes to fill the rest of her time? Who is likely to teach these classes and are they roughly grouped by age/grade? Just want to ensure she would get a good amount of dance input. The performance side sounds great, which is lovely as she doesn't often get to perform at her small local dance school. Love the idea of the high standards in dance, costume, scenery etc. thanks

• Like 1

Not necessarily. It depends what she has been cast as, in the two parts she has. She could be rehearsing most of the time. 

At summer school there are classes when not in rehearsals, which are arranged according to age and standard. How old is your DD? I remember the first year my DD was main cast and boarding at summer school I had to post her sachets of Calpol as she was aching so much from dancing by the evening that she couldn't sleep. She loved it though....

If your DD doesn't have the chance to perform much and craves to, she's going to have an amazing time. 

DD is 16, in Year 11. She passed Advanced 1 in December. Yes really looking forward to performing in a high calibre performance with quality costumes, scenery etc. she doesn't know anyone and this normally bothers her, but strangely doesn't seem to this year which is great. She boarded at Elmhurst last year, sharing a room with one of her Tring CBA contemporaries. Sounds like it should be good then!

• Like 1