Russian Icons Gala - Coliseum - 8th March 2015

The initial line-up of artists (sure to change) has been announced.  It is an impressive one:

The programme accompanied by the orchestra of the English National Ballet will be performed by Sarah Lamb, Steven McRae, Vadim Muntagirov, Marianela Nuñez, Natalia Osipova, Thiago Soares, Edward Watson (Royal Ballet), Semyon Chudin, Dmitry Gudanov, Artem Ovcharenko, Olga Smirnova, Anna Tikhomirova (Bolshoi Ballet), Kim Kimin, Xander Parish, Kristina Shapran, Alina Somova (Mariinsky Theatre), Alina Cojocaru, Tamara Rojo (English National Ballet), Mathieu Ganio, Dorothée Gilbert (Ballet de l’Opéra de Paris), Iana Salenko, Marian Walter (Berlin Staatsballett), Chase Finlay, Lauren Lovette (New York City Ballet), Kenneth Greve, Daria Makhateli (Finnish National Ballet), Bernice Coppieters (Ballets de Monte Carlo), Daria Klimentova, Giuseppe Picone and Igor Zelensky.

• 2 months later...

There have been some changes to the line up of dancers (as against the original listing) at the Russian Icons Gala.  Sadly the likes of Smirnova, Chudin, Ganio and Rojo as well as the dancers from NYCB (not unexpected given that Chase Finlay didn't do his last Romeo due to injury) are now absent.  (Another team of NYCB dancers will be performing in a Gala at the same time in Rome.)  Delighted that Kobborg, Kondaurova and the lovely Novikova have been added to the list.  So glad too that Klimentova and Muntagirov are both still on the bill. 

The programme – accompanied by the Orchestra of English National Ballet [surely the ENO website means/intends the ENB Philharmonic] – will be performed by Audric Bezard, Federico Bonelli, Alexander Campbell, Alina Cojocaru, Dorothée Gilbert, Kenneth Greve, Dmitry Gudanov, Kimin Kim, Daria Klimentová, Johan Kobborg, Ekaterina Kondaurova, Ekaterina Krysanova, Daria Makhateli, Ekaterina Osmolkina, Maia Makhateli, Roberta Marquez, Vadim Muntagirov, Olesya Novikova, Marianela Nuñez, Natalia Osipova, Ekaterina Osmolkina, Xander Parish, Giuseppe Picone, Iana Salenko, Artur Shesterikov, Thiago Soares, Marian Walter, Edward Watson and Igor Zelensky.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Well, if anyone as a result has a ticket they no longer want, you know where I am!

It's disappointing, but then the same thing happens every year.  Better to know now than to turn up on the day and find that people aren't coming :(

Wonder if Gudanov will appear on Sunday.  A few hours ago was this tweet:

Unexpected debuts of Igor Tsvirko as Albrecht tonight. Danced Peasant pdd in Giselle 1st act and replaced Dmitry Gudanov in 2nd act.

Would have loved to see Tsvirko as Albrecht myself.  Who knows ... maybe he'll do Sunday ... but assume he'd have to have a relevant visa to hand ... and it's been a while since the Bolshoi was last here. 

Edited by Bruce Wall

I notice that Osmolkina's name crops up in the revised list, is that correct?  I was under the impression she had had a baby very recently.

Does anyone know for sure that she's actually appearing?  If she's dancing then I'll go and try for a return.

Paris Opera Ballet dancers in particular in my experience always drop out so I never expect to see them.

Gilbert posted a photo of herself in London on social media this afternoon and says she will be dancing Millepied's Amoveo with Audric Bezard tonight.  I am not a fan of Millepied's choreography but the clips on youtube don't look too bad.