Hidden costs of dance training

Tulip

Taxi4ballet once your daughter goes away, you will suddenly find that you have so much time to spend on other things. You will also reflect on how you found the time and energy to do what you did. Dancing and we are only talking about dancing costs an arm and a leg if it is heading towards becoming more serious.

• Like 1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My ex dds did not do associates or festivals but they did drama and singing lessons too. My eldest gave up when she went to university but since they had fairly much the same dance timetable, I did not really have much more spare time. When our youngest left for university, I didn't know what to do with myself! I no longer saw people I had seen many times a week and I felt lost. Yes, I had time to myself once more but it was such a radical change that I felt lost. I also wondered where I had found the energy to drive all over Herts and Cambs six times a week. I was so tired it took about two years for me to unwind properly.

• Like 3

Taxi4ballet once your daughter goes away, you will suddenly find that you have so much time to spend on other things. You will also reflect on how you found the time and energy to do what you did.  

So true - quite often I'm more tired than dd is! 

Oh yes, I'll also save money as I won't be killing time for hours in coffee shops any more ;)

• Like 2

Personally, I think there must be a consideration regarding funding and offers of places. I would love to think that schools pick purely on talent and then consider funding. However, first and foremost these schools are businesses. I know of at least one top musical theatre school that offers the foundation course to anyone who can pay first, then they go from there. I am sure they are all different and it may change on an yearly basis but they have to consider their bottom line. As I understand it, even RBS ask on the upper 6th application form if you can afford the £12k for accommodation even prior to audition. What if you can't? Has that got anything to do with the child's talent?

I have no idea about the ins and outs of funding and the implication to schools and I am pretty sure no one will give you a clear concise answer. I have heard - maybe hearsay- that if a child gets a DADA/MDS then the school does not actually receive the full fees but a % of. Also that if the school does not use up its allocated MDS places or DADA funding they lose it for good. ???

It's an emotive subject but I think the most talented children will get what they need, and probably well over half of those won't make it to have a career in dance for one reason or another. In some ways I feel that you ride the wave while it lasts, but when it stops you get off and do something else having been grateful for the times you had and look forward to a very bright future doing something different. I speak from personal experience of this and I would never wish that I hadn't persued dancing, but it wasn't my destiny and it was very, very difficult.

• Like 12

our hidden costs are very scary as when I did my research at the beginning of the year by following posts I thought I had over costed everything but unfortunately I got it all wrong. when our first bill come from Tring I have to admit I went into a blind panic as I thought the £1.5 thousand  per term discount I received for the maintenance was the balance I paid and what I had budgeted  but instead we have to find over £2.1 thousand per term plus the trips, books and other expenditures that will be added to our next bill. my Dd is on the full Dada as our family income is under £10,000 per year and even though we have opened up a funding page we have had no luck I understand completely though as so many people are in the same boat as us and also living hand to mouth.

I don't have anything I can cut back on or sell and even though I have another child and extensive family I can't see me enjoying Christmas this year and so far my daughter has 1 gift and my son 4 to open on xmas :( but the positive is we will all be together :wub:  and the as for the shows and school visits we simply can't budget going to them as I cant afford the transport, and just before they broke up my Dd had a show but was also poorly and breaking her heart over the phone as she "just needed a hug" but I couldn't afford to go to see her, so pray she's never taken so poorly she has to come home in-between terms.

When I started my twirling little girl at her first dance class I never knew the dream I was opening up in her heart and the heart ache it brings emotionally and financially. My biggest fear is my finances are once again going to put a stop to it all as its just started and I pray every night to a solution. So to all the parents starting on this road please be ready to hold on tight as its a terribly bumpy ride and enjoy your coffee and chats outside the dance studio as your going to miss them so much :huh:

• Like 4

Sugarplums mum my heart goes out to you. Tring in particular is a very expensive school to be at. The fact that you are all together over Christmas is the most special thing of all. My son was very Poorly over Christmas last year, the fact that the whole family came together, helped us to try and enjoy Christmas, even though we knew that we were going to be in for a rough ride after Christmas.

What year is your daughter in? I know that she wouldn't want to leave but financially would it be worth her while to audition for second year upper school that does student loan?

Lots of best and sincere wishes sent to you.

• Like 1

Thank you thequays that very sweet of you. I agree aileen that is why I was so shocked when the bill come as when Dd was an associate with the RBS a full bursary worked out about 95% of the fees and uniform plus travel costs when she was in London. I've spoken to some of the Mums that were able to keep their MDS into 6th form and their bill is just £750 per term but they also get the uniform and travel so it don't seem fare that there is such a jump with a Dada.

Tulip Dd turned down offers to go elsewhere and the places like Central that do loans are ballet and she didn't want to continue down that path as she wants to be an all round dancer. She's had such a hard time with her dancing and her dream of going to Tring is what had kept her going through the years, she had been put on the waiting list twice before for funding and each time I saw the spark in her eyes dim and she become so withdrawn, and I never want to see her like that again if I can help it. 

A massive positive is ive lost so much weight I can fit in the clothes shes left behind :D  see always a positive to every situation.

• Like 2

I know you are talking older kids here than my dd whose going into year 7, but this has scared the life out of me!! Sugarplumsmum what an amazing and strong person you are to support your daughters dream and to try and see the positive, I don't think I would cope so well with the worry!!!

The bizarre thing is - a friend's ds is at a private boarding school for talented sporting students. The facilities and teaching are top class (training possible future Olympic competitors) and fees for that school are less than half what it costs to send someone to a vocational dance school.

How strange you would have thought something like that would cost around the same?!? I keep seeing things on telly and online about how they want to make The Ballet more accessible to everyone but the cost of the training is enough to put many off, we took dd to watch brb the nutcracker last year and cost £150 for 3 tickets, no discount for children unless you have crappy seats.......the costs involved with anything ballet related is through the roof, so maybe they could start by addressing that if they truly want to make it more accessible?!

• Like 1

I've sent you a PM Sugarplumsmum x

Lema, the DADA funding for 16+ offers far less support than the MDS funding for 11+ years.  MDS covers the boarding element too whereas the DADA doesn't and also the income bands are much lower for the DADA so don't be too scared...although still a huge financial commitment for anyone embarking on the vocational journey x

• Like 1

Hi Sugarplums mum, come to think of it...I may have some information that could help you. I know of someone who has just gone away to study at the Guildhall School of Music which is around 9k per year. Three charities (in your area ;-) ) are covering the cost apparently. I will PM you them, plus others which this person recommended.

Vocational training sounds like a huge financial burden. As the mum of a 'twice weekly' sort of child though, if I had a child in voc school, at least I could focus on working to fund the excess without the pressure of needing to be on the ballet run and needing to be in work at the same time..! Or is that not the case? Maybe thd long distance ballet runs take over...

Hi Sugarplumsmum

You may already know this but you can use a company called 'School fee Plan' . They pay your bill then split it into 12monthly payments they add 2% for this service . All the extras are also added on as you go and the payments are adjusted throughout the year .

I do hope you raise enough money for your dd to stay , wishing her every success .

Sugarplumsmum, have you spoken to Tring about your situation, no one can expect you to pay this amount out of your income, the money just isn't there. Do they have a hardship fund? Can they move your DD to an MDS? Do speak to them and keep persevering. As other posters have advised with the cost of boarding at Tring, look at staying with a host family, this will work out much less expensive. Good luck

Sugarplumsmum, just a thought: has there been a mistake in the calculation of your contribution? I'm pretty sure that if your DD were at a 'normal' independent school she would receive a 100% bursary on a household income of less than £10K. I don't know how DADAs work but a contribution of over £6K out of a household income of less than £10K effectively precludes a student from dance training. Obviously, I don't know what your outgoings are and, in particular whether your housing costs are covered by Housing Benefit, but your financial situation doesn't sound sustainable on the face of it. As others have said, you need to find out about other sources of funding but first I would check that your contribution has been correctly calculated. Has there been a change in household income or is a notional contribution from a non-resident parent (which is not actually being received) taken into account? Perhaps others can comment on whether they think that the level of your contribution is about right based on their knowledge of the system. 

Isn't Sugarplums problem that although her dd DaDA covers her school fees she is only entitled to £4550 maintenance per year plus her bursary. I've no idea how much the boarding fees, uniform and other costs are at Tring but hazard a guess you can probably at least triple that amount if not more.

Do contact Tring and see if they can offer any other help. Wishing you all the best Sugarplum and everyone else struggling through this funding nightmare.

• Like 1

I can seriously see us selling the house or at the very least adding to the mortgage(and I know that we are lucky to have this option) .... I keep telling myself it's only for 3 years,well maybe 4 or .... Have a merry Christmas everyone x

• Like 1

I've just had a look at the fees page on the Tring website, and it shows the total payable for 6th-form but it is inclusive and includes boarding etc. So - it doesn't actually tell you how much is covered by the DaDa and how much isn't. Presumably it is the difference between the cost for boarding pupils and day pupils: £3,530 per term which is actually more than I earn.

Great. It would be cheaper to buy her a car as soon as she's 17 and get her to drive herself there and back every day!!!

• Like 3

This is the main reason we didn't apply to Tring Lower School.

Dd used to be at a private school so we knew we could just about afford fees with a bursary.

But Trings boarding fees are £3,525 per term whereas at Hammond they are £2,600 per term (reduced with a bursary).

As it happens dd is able to commute.

Hammond Upper School don't have boarding facilities, students stay with private landladies. I would definately look into the options for your dd in that respect.

If you go to the library they have a book there which lists pots of money you can apply for to help with costs of further educational. I found out that a local business supports the arts and gives £250. Not a lot in the big spectrum but certainly helps. Can't remember the name of the book but I am sure the library when know. Its not online so worth a trip if you can go. Hope it helps. Tring boarding is expensive but they have been great and when my daughter became I'll they looked after her so well. Pm me your email and I will send you other links I have found. In the meantime enjoy having time together over the hols.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jane and others sorry for the long time getting back but few things have gone on this end plus pc is out of the arc :wacko: made getting on difficult.

Tring have been lovely and sympathetic but don't have any other help to offer and no list of charities I can contact, I have now been sent the leaflet on spreading the cost through the year with the terms invoice.

The full maintenance for a person under 21k is £4550 per year given to the child over 3 terms, each term a invoice is sent to us for £3600. plus educational visits an books which has to be paid, the child is then given that terms Dada in the form of the cheque which you then cash and put towards the fee, there is a gap in the time between the fee's needing paying and the cheque being given and cleared but Tring has reassured me I wont be issued a late payment fee whilst waiting for the cheque to clear.

We have already discussed Dd going to a hostmother from September, we would have looked into it for this year but as she started the school late this option was taken out of our hands but any information would be amazing if anyone has any please as would ideally want to start looking now ready for September.

I'm not sure how they work out the Dada but I'm guessing all households under 20k per year are put into the same bracket so even though my household is under 10K I am in the same bracket as the people who have £19,500. income in there home?

Please know I only commented so people know the full story of the finances your facing as I was very naïve and wish I knew proper figures when I went into audition season. I don't know if it would have made a difference as Tring had my Dd's heart from the moment she stepped foot there but I do know the little bit of money I had put aside for if she did get a 6th form place would have been different and I wouldn't now be playing catch-up and chasing pennies.

x