Oh no...why now?!

Pups_mum

I don't expect anyone to be able to help really, but I want to have a bit of a moan to people who will get why I am upset. Most of my real life friends will just say "so what?" as they don't really get it!

DD is due to do her Advanced 1 exam at RAD HQ next Thursday. On Monday she came home limping saying her ankle hurt, though she can't remember doing anything specific. She's resting, putting ice packs on and taking  anti inflammatories but is still in significant pain. Obviously that has meant no dancing this week so far, and  probably not for the rest of the week at least. Then last night she starting sniffling and by this morning she had developed a hacking cough and was needing her inhaler for the first time in absolutely ages.

I can't believe it. She is not particularly injury prone and she is the one person in the family who rarely catches any kind of bug that is going round - why now?

She will be absolutely heartbroken if she can't do the exam, and of course with the syllabus change there will be no second chance. We've got train tickets and a hotel booked and paid for too, though I guess we can still have a Christmas shopping trip if the worst comes to the worst.

If there's no improvement by tomorrow I will try to get her a physio appointment. I'm just praying it's nothing serious. Send a few healing thoughts through the ether please. :(

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry Pups_mum...sending masses of "Get Well Quickly" wishes for your DD.

I'm having a bit of that "why now" feeling myself...DD was sent home from school on Monday afternoon with a very nasty virus that is doing the rounds...but it's meant that she's missed the 2 Theatre Rehearsals for Nutcracker at the Coliseum this week now, plus Santa in the dorms, Secret Santa swaps and if she doesn't make it back tomorrow she'll miss Panto and Christmas Party :(

She doesn't get ill often so it's such a shame for her...but at least it'll be over before she starts her Nutcracker run on the 22nd!

Fingers crossed that your DD recovers well enough to take her exam and do it justice xxx

Oh dear Pups Mum sorry to hear that after all the planning and itme and moeny and effort that goes in to exam prep you and your dd must be fed up.  Have you talked to RAD about what may be possible- defering the date to the end of the exam session to play for a bit of time?  Won't help you with the hotel costs etc

Be positive. The exam is over a week away and hopefully her cough and cold will be better then.

While she's resting can she watch the Advance 1 DVD or something so she can go through the exercises in her head?

Why not phone up for a Physio appt today so she might be able to be seen this side of the weekend then she has a few more days to take their advice?

I hope she gets better and does well in her exam. Good luck.

• Like 3

Have you talked to RAD about what may be possible- defering the date to the end of the exam session to play for a bit of time?  Won't help you with the hotel costs etc

The last day of the exam session is the day after (on Friday next week). What rotten timing, I really hope she feels better soon.

• Like 1

So sorry for your DD. Perhaps it's the pressure of it being a last chance to do this particular exam but anyway really bad luck.

If the injury is minor but she can't dance much until the exam I'm sure she will be fine as she's not going to forget everything in a week but may lose a bit of flexibility which would not stop her passing the exam. However it's annoying not to be at ones absolute best when one has been working so hard towards something.

If the injury turns out to be more serious then it's unlikely she will be able to take the exam ......disappointing though that is right now perhaps she can sort of fast track herself through the new syllabus so there's only a years delay??

And if you can't get your money back on hotel and trains just enjoy having some together time in London.....perhaps a trip to one of the many Ballet things going on there right now.

Sorry if this isn't much help but do feel for you and DD ....Life can be very trying at times

Linda xx

• Like 1

You have my utmost sympathy, Pups_Mum. This sort of bad luck has plagued my dd on the run up to so many exams. I hope you can get a physio appointment ASAP - and in the meantime, obviously tell your dd to keep rested, hydrated, and perhaps try some echinacea etc to minimise the cold/cough side of things. Keeping my fingers crossed that she recovers in time.

• Like 1

oh your poor DD.  On the positive side it is still over a week away which gives her time to recover from the cough/cold and being unwell hopefully means she is well and truly resting that ankle.  Hopefully its nothing too serious and no dancing this week will let her recover in time for the exam.  Certainly as Lin says she will not forget everything in a week so provided her ankle is recovered missing a week of dance practice is not likely to impact.

My DD missed her first two days of dance assessments this year with the sickness bug that was going around and found that disappointing enough but her poor friend missed her Adv 2 exam.  There is always so much going around at this time of year - even without the ongoing threat of injury.

I hope your DD is feeling better soon and that her ankle recovers quickly for her exam and dtadmin  - get well wishes for your DD too

• Like 2

Oh no! Hope it all works out ok. This has happened to my DS before - so frustrating!

Dtadmin - my son seems to have what your DD has, although not bad enough to be at home - must be flying around at school. Hope she's better to take part in the fun stuff at the end of term.

• Like 1

Know how Icwould feel with DD in the same exam, with all the expense and the long postponement. DD had a horrible lurgy for her GCSE mocks recently and was totally without energy for dance. Thankfully her results were still fine and her energy is returning. Thinking of you lots and hope your DD will still make the exam with mine. DD has been seeing physio this term and has a maintenance session tomorrow. Whole Adv 1 exam seems to be proving very stressful for the girls and mums!

So sorry Pups_mum...sending masses of "Get Well Quickly" wishes for your DD.

I'm having a bit of that "why now" feeling myself...DD was sent home from school on Monday afternoon with a very nasty virus that is doing the rounds...but it's meant that she's missed the 2 Theatre Rehearsals for Nutcracker at the Coliseum this week now, plus Santa in the dorms, Secret Santa swaps and if she doesn't make it back tomorrow she'll miss Panto and Christmas Party :(

She doesn't get ill often so it's such a shame for her...but at least it'll be over before she starts her Nutcracker run on the 22nd!

Fingers crossed that your DD recovers well enough to take her exam and do it justice xxx

Nightmare dtadmin we had the same bug and it wasn't the usual 24 hr one.  Fingers crossed she will be ok for the 22nd and it will be wonderful xxx

• Like 1

I too have fingers crossed that she will be okay.  Here's a few suggestions.  Did you know that you are allowed to wear an elastic support bandage under the tights?  That might help her on the day. Also if you don't mind her using it, there are cold aerosol sprays that you can spray on the problem spot to numb the area a bit. Pros use them if something happens mid-performance. She could also take a simple pain-killer beforehand,  and then hopefully the adrenalin should help her get through it.   

Of course, it would be a shame not to take the exam after she has got so far, but honestly, in the worst case scenario that she really can't take it, you should know that the exam result is not the be all and end all of everything.  In my opinion the process of working for the exam is what's important - all the extra energy and concentration and practise that the students put into the preparation for the exam - this is what makes them improve and advance.

Anyway, a lot can happen in 12 days - you've still got time for her to recover!

• Like 3

Thanks all. Ive booked a physio appointment but there was no space til next week so here's hoping things improve before then. DD says "I'm doing the exam even if my leg falls off" but we shall see......

Get well wishes to everyone else who is nursing an injury and/ or fighting off seasonal bugs.

• Like 5

Do you have a recording of the syllabus music? Watching my daughter in her pre exam class the other day I noticed a remarkable improvement since the last week, I asked her what had happened, she said she,d spent a boring day at school going over the syllabus in her head whilst plugged in. It gave her a huge confidence boost. Good luck

• Like 1

A bit thank you Lottie.

Well her chest is more or less sorted at least. Her ankle is still sore unfortunately though. A very kind doctor friend of mine has had a look and given her some good advice and we have a physio appointment booked in a couple of days.

She is adamant that she is going to do the exam, so fingers crossed that she is ok on the day. I don't think she will be at full strength though sadly, and 2 weeks off immediately beforehand isn't ideal, but there's nothing I can do to change it so I am trying not to worry, and hoping for the best.

If your dd goes ahead with the exam, can you not let the RAD know that she has been ill and also has an injury? A few years ago when my dd woke up vomiting on the morning she was due to travel to London for an RAD exam we had to cancel, but she was able to take the exam a week or so later even though she was still very weak. I seem to recall that she received some special consideration marks as part of her overall result. This was a few years ago though.

Your poor dd, Pups_Mum! My youngest dd had an appalling d and v bug two days before her Grade 5 ballet but she gritted her teeth and went through with it for the sake of her partner in the character dance who went through it for the sake of my dd when she was running a temperature with a really bad cold. They got through it and got a merit each which was amazing in the circumstances. I do hope your dd manages to get through it. Good luck!

• Like 2

I was told that the examiners cannot take anything into consideration - they have to mark as they see the work during that particular exam time.  Nevertheless, I always tell the examiner if a student is doing the exam injured or ill, because it's important for them to know.  For example, if your daughter's ankle is hurting and she needs to rest in the middle of the exam - if the examiner has been notified beforehand of the problem, she would likely allow her to sit on the floor and perhaps take off the shoe and massage her ankle.  That sort of thing.  Do let us know how she gets on - we'll all be rooting for her!

Well we've made it to London at last. Bit of a nightmare journey as our original train was cancelled and we ended up arriving 2 hours later than planned. I'm really grateful to the beauty therapist at the hotel who stayed on to do the treatment id arranged as a pre exam pick me up for DD even though we were significantly late.

The late arrival scuppered our plans to check out the Christmas lights but we've had a nice meal in the hotel restaurant and DD is now relaxing in the bath. Her chest is much better and the foot, though still sore, has improved somewhat since seeing the physio. The circumstances aren't ideal, and I know she's worried about not having danced for nearly 2 weeks now, but at least we are here and I know she'll give it her best shot.

Thanks for all the messages of support and encouragement which really mean a lot.

• Like 7