Funding for University after dance training?

ParentTaxi

This is a very theoretical question posed by DD (11), when we were discussing the routes chosen by the 17/18 year old leaving her dance school this year.

If a pupil chooses to go to dance college at 18, graduates and then goes on to dance for a few years, what is the situation regarding university funding  if they then want to go back to do an 'academic' degree?

We are a long way off all these considerations, and tbh I sincerely doubt that DD (highly academic, good dancer but not 'outstanding', already 5'4" and growing rapidly) will choose a dance route at all.

However, I thought it was an interesting question and wondered whether anyne could shed light?

I am not definitely sure and am happy to be corrected but I think it depends on the funding...they only have one student loan...I think. So if a student loan is used for the dancing bit then there isn't likely to be a student loan for uni.

But as I said I don't know that for sure and would be happy to be corrected

You are correct Cornishprincess. Student loans are for the first higher education qualification, so that's a BA, HND or level 6 diploma (as Elmhust, ENBS, Tring, Hammond etc). Here is the link;

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

You will see the link says 'even if the first qualification was self funded'

Edited to add last sentence

Edited by Nana Lily
  • Like 1

Although this is true, DS and I did some detective work before he "used" his student funding for a dance degree.  We worked out it would be no more expensive to pay for a second degree if the dancing didn't work out  than to pay for sixth form dance training and associated accommodation costs - especially as he could, presumably, live at home and study for a degree via distance learning.  Not possible for dance !

Not saying that there is a right or wrong way of doing these things, but it certainly put my mind at rest when discussing 16+ options.

• Like 1

Here is the quote from the gov website

"However, you may still get limited funding if, for example:

you change course

you leave your course but decide to start again

you’re ‘topping up’ a higher education qualification, eg you’ve finished an HNC, HND or Foundation Degree and now want to do an honours degre"

This is important for dancers if they get an injury and aren't able to continue to dance professionally or are unable to secure a professional contract and need to improve their ability to seek employment elsewhere, or for when they hang up their ballet shoes.

• Like 1

The official Trinity conversion course for level 6 diplomas to BA Honours degree certainly looks to be funded.

http://www.trinitycollege.com/site/?id=1191

There are other conversion courses out there - for 'topping up' to a higher education qualification but this area confuses me. DDs friend was accepted to start at University of West London in September just gone and she got funding. Yet she had done a level 6 diploma (self funded) which is strictly speaking a higher level qualification than the HNC, HND or Foundation degree that count for top-up. I know there were other similar courses out there. She ended up last minute going off to do a 3 year degree in contemporary dance and got funding despite already having the level 6 diploma, which confused me even more.

I notice Laines are offering a new top up course to their level 6 diploma from September 2015. I wonder if this will be an option offered elsewhere in years to come. Or like Hammond, maybe colleges offering the level 6 diploma will start offering BA Honours degrees alongside.

Jane - that is what DDs friend said but that is not what the government website that Nana Lily links to says nor is it what I was told when I took a friends daughter to auditions last year.

It states quite clearly that student finance is available for your first higher education qualification only. If you do 3 years and complete your level 6 qualification then you already have a higher education qualification.

I was under the impression it didn't matter wether you were self-funded or not , it has to be the your first HE course .... Or is it one of those situations like the child benefit , it depends on who you speak to on the other end of the phone !!

Taken from the gov website :

Generally, you’ll only get student finance if you’re doing your first higher education qualification. This is true even if your previous course was self-funded.

Generally must be the key word here !!

Student finance fundng is a loan for the first HE qualification. On theoneysaviing expert TV program recently they highlighted s new scheme to be put in place for additional student finance of up to £10,000 for post graduate courses, so this may help, though with fees currently at £9000 this will only give one extra year, but helpful for MA or MSC.

Edited as on phone

Edited by Nana Lily
  • Like 1

Does anyone know whether the level 6 Trinity counts as an equivalent to an extra A level? I've tried to research this question but none of the institutions involved (like UCAS) could give me a straight answer. Sorry to go slightly off topic. My DD is at Elmhurst and doing 2 A levels. If she decides to go to university will the a Trinity diploma count for anything or will she have to top up her Alevels to get into Uni?

The Trinity Diploma does not count as an equivalent to an extra A level as far as I understand it - as it is a higher education qualification and not further education.  In the same way that you get UCAS points for ballet exams grades 6-8, Intermediate & Adv Foundation (for RAD).  These are level 3 qualifications, like A levels and so count but Adv 1 and 2 are level 4 and therefore too high to qualify.

The Trinity Diploma after 3 years is a level 6, the equivalent to a degree.  If you left after 2 years to go to university at 18, depending on the school for if it is possible, I think the qualification would only be level 4/5 which is the equivalent to a HND or foundation degree.  Both are too high for UCAS points as they are higher education whereas UCAS points are for further education level qualifications.  The level 3 btec is the equivalent to 3 A levels and here you are talking about level 5/6.

Having said all of that, personally I would imagine it unlikely that you would have to top up qualifications from 2 to 3 A levels.  I think it would just be necessary to explain the qualification at each stage of the application by referencing the national qualifications framework and getting the level 5 or 6 mentioned. Remember universities are setting their minimum entry levels for students to be able to progress on their courses.

from my understanding also, the top up conversion course after the level 6 diploma is because the diploma is a number of academic credits short of being a BA Honours degree (its more the equivalent of a pass of a BA degree).  So you are not topping up from a level 6 to a level 7 but rather by more in depth study at level 6 increasing the grade from a pass to a First class honours, second class honours etc with a more recognisable academic qualification

• Like 2

I cannot emphasize enough that it is only my understanding from the research I have done for my DD - not personal experience.  Like others on here she intends to do the BA Honours conversation course Trinity recommends when she graduates - a distance learning course

Edited by 2dancersmum
  • Like 1

I was under the impression it didn't matter wether you were self-funded or not , it has to be the your first HE course .... Or is it one of those situations like the child benefit , it depends on who you speak to on the other end of the phone !!

Taken from the gov website :

Generally, you’ll only get student finance if you’re doing your first higher education qualification. This is true even if your previous course was self-funded.

Generally must be the key word here !!

I agree that 'generally' is correct. I too know someone who has a part funded trinity diploma level 6 and went on to get full student funding for a completely new non dancing degree.
  • Like 1