ENB New definition of Adult Ballet Class Levels

Michelle_Richer

From ENB:

"Over the past few months we have been working with Antonio Castilla, Ballet Master at English National Ballet, to review the classes and ensure we are providing the best service we can. One change is how we describe the classes and distinguish between the levels. Classes we now offer are: Absolute Beginners, Improvers, Intermediate, Advanced and Advanced Pro. Full descriptions below:

Absolute Beginners

Suitable for complete beginners, this course is a perfect introduction to classical ballet technique. A fun, step by step guide, covering basic ballet positions and movements that will help you to improve your posture, co-ordination and strength.(ages 18+)

Improvers

If you have completed Absolute Beginners and are ready to move on or are returning to ballet and want reminding of the basics, then this is the level for you. Classes are designed to improve technique, develop ballet vocabulary and increase confidence. Building on the basics, classes introduce preparation for turns (pirouettes), jumps (allegro) and explore artistry and musicality. (ages 18+)

Intermediate

A progression from Improvers, this course is recommended if you have a good knowledge and application of classical ballet technique. A more challenging class that will require strength and stamina for more complex adage, pirouette and allegro enchaînements. A great way to improve fitness and finesse! (ages 18+)

Advanced

Open to anyone who has successfully completed Intermediate to a competent standard, are in vocational training and need additional classes or are perhaps a professional dancer recovering from injury. A more technically demanding and faster paced class in which you will be challenged to perform longer and more advanced sequences. (ages 18+)

Advanced Pro

The most advanced class in the programme, designed to challenge experienced, confident dancers who are looking to further develop their technique and artistry. This class is ideal if you are a dance graduate, ex/current professional dancer, and are looking for a non-syllabus, artistic class. (ages 18+)

Youth Ballet

A technique-focused, non-syllabus class and open to dancers from all dance backgrounds. This class will explore the fundamental movement principles of ballet including posture, alignment, co-ordination, balance and flexibility. (ages 13-17)

BalletFit

A ballet-inspired pilates workout, which increases core-strength and flexibility. Includes elements of barre work, gentle stretching and floor-based exercises. No experience necessary. (ages 18+)

We hope these will make it clearer as to which class is most suitable for you and maximise your enjoyment from the classes. We welcome feedback, so please let us know if you have any comments. During 2015, we will also be piloting new expansions to the programme. March sees the introduction of our Ballet Intensive series; an opportunity for adult dancers to hone their dance skills in an inspiring day of dance workshops."

Edited by spannerandpony to add "From ENB" and add speech marks.

Edited by spannerandpony
  • Like 3

Thanks Michelle. Last year my dd went to an excellent ENB easter course in Milton Keynes where they worked up a location specific contemporary work based on the dispaly in the art gallery. Do you happen to know if there will be anything like this this year?

Edited by chaperone

• 3 weeks later...

Chaperone sorry to jump ahead of Michelle and I hope you don't mind my answering the question but I attended the excellent ENB MK course and I believe there was another similar course scheduled Easter 2014 again at MK Theatre as I subscribed to the theatre newsletter and received an e-mail about it. Fingers crossed that something similar is arranged for 2015