Northern Ballet School Audition.

Miracle

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

How accommodating are Northern regarding specific audition dates? My parents won't let me miss school to go to an audition, so the only audition date I could do at NBS would be February 16th- should I email them to ask if they have any space left in that audition?

Also, what time does the 1.30pm audition finish?

• 1 month later...

Swanprincess, when my dd auditioned at Nothern 2 years ago, we specifically asked the school for the half term date, (as she had already had lots of time off school for other auditions & I wanted to avoid another day if possible) and they gave her the date. She had the 1.30 slot and I believe we got away about 4.30 but I can't really remember now. It all depends whereabouts your name is on the list for the interview etc.

Swanprincess, when my dd auditioned at Nothern 2 years ago, we specifically asked the school for the half term date, (as she had already had lots of time off school for other auditions & I wanted to avoid another day if possible) and they gave her the date. She had the 1.30 slot and I believe we got away about 4.30 but I can't really remember now. It all depends whereabouts your name is on the list for the interview etc.

Thank you! Am I correct in thinking that Northern only have one audition, as opposed to prelims then finals? I put on the form that I would need a DADA if I were to be offered a place- is there a separate audition for DADA's, or is it all done in the first audition?x

It's all done in the first audition. You will be marked and placed on a list in order of marks. If you are offered a place at the school and you have stated on the form that you are applying for. Dada. They will include you in the list and work their way down the list offering DaDas until they run out of money. Then as/if students do not accept the DaDa (another place offered and preferred) they will continue down the list. Therefore it is in order of merit but the final number of offers depends on how much DaDa budget they have.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou so much!

It's strange how I desperately wanted to audition for ballet schools this time last year, and the year before that- but now that it's really happening, it all just seems quite scary & daunting, I'm struggling to be confident and am beginning to wonder why I even bothered to apply anywhere :( ️xx

Thankyou for the encouragement, I really appreciate it! I think you're right- once I'm actually in the audition I'll feel less nervous.... Hopefully! :P

Sarahw, I don't think my parents are really aware that I'm nervous- my dad never wanted me to pursue dance as a career anyway, so although he agreed to let me do the auditions, he hasn't discussed any of it with me, and certainly doesn't encourage me! My mum is incredibly supportive though, but I don't want her to get stressed- she thinks I'm fine about it all; she has enough stress already at work, without having to worry even more about me! I know that the hardest part is yet to come- waiting for the results always seems far more torturous than the audition itself :o

• Like 1

It's natural to be nervous about something like this, swanprincess. You will reduce your stress levels if you get everything organised this evening: pack your bag with everything you need including snacks and a bottle of water and plan your journey fully, giving yourself plenty of time to get there, get changed and warm up (with possible delays due to transport problems built into the timetable). Make sure that you eat something a couple of hours before the audition. When you are waiting to go in don't be put off by what other people are doing or saying. Don't watch them warm up or spend time admiring their physique/looks/technique or whatever. Concentrate on yourself. Just smile briefly, say "hello" and get on with what you need to do. You are not there to make friends. In the audition try not to get distracted by the other candidates. You won't be able to tell how well they are doing because you won't be able to see everything that they do and won't know what the panel is thinking. As someone else has said, try to let your love of dance shine through. The very best of luck to you.

• Like 7

Swanprincess, last january my DD and me went to London  to audition for RBS. She was very excited and didn't seem scared at all, while in Rome. We arrived the day before and had a full day of sightseeing, museums, cathedrals, etc. so she didn't think to the audition till the day after. In the following morning we took the tube to reach Covent Garden and she didn't say a single word for the whole journey. Arrived at the station she didn't want to get off, she said she made a terrible mistake to apply, etc. So I replied: "ok, let's go downstairs and take the tube back home. We can go to this museum or that church, or wherever you want. We won't tell anyone you didn't audition!". She shouted at me "Are you crazy? I have come to London to audition and I will audition! Let's go, I don't want to be late".......just to say last minute nerves !!!! Smile, breath and think that everybody in that room will be feeling the same....good luck!

• Like 4

Aww bless her, I get exactly how she feels!!! (It did briefly occur to me that no one would know if I actually went to the audition or not- but I'm definitely going anyway!) I would say that I feel slightly less nervous this morning, but to be honest I can't quite work out how I feel, my emotions regarding the audition are quite varied :P

• Like 1