RBS preliminary auditions

Zacharovitti

Right.... We have a forecast of 6cm of snow this evening and a plan to leave for audition at 7am tomorrow.... Hope it will rain not snow, or hope it will all melt by early morning :-( Why it's a constant worry? After I have already prepared my DD's bag with extra spare of everything, even got petrol etc etc now I'm worried about the driving in snow and not making it on time to Bath!

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right.... We have a forecast of 6cm of snow this evening and a plan to leave for audition at 7am tomorrow.... Hope it will rain not snow, or hope it will all melt by early morning :-( Why it's a constant worry? After I have already prepared my DD's bag with extra spare of everything, even got petrol etc etc now I'm worried about the driving in snow and not making it on time to Bath!

I have just read my last post and I'm sorry! I'm turning into a drama queen! I had a bad day and after reading on the forum about teaching in voc schools in UK and about how much ballet dancers earn etc etc I wasn't sure if I even wanted me DD to audition!

But! The snow wasn't too bad today, my DD was well and did her best and came out happy!

It was nice to talk to other parents (it was lovely to meet you Piccolo!)

We have been told to wait 2 to 3 weeks for results. I dutifully asked if we are going to receive letters or emails but the lady at the registration desk didn't know!

Hope everybody enjoyed the audition today!

Good luck!

• Like 4

Oh Happymum I know what you mean, sometimes I can spend too long on here and overthink things. In the end I guess we just have to let our children try to reach their dreams and be there to offer comfort and maybe alternatives if they need them. The whole thing is a rollercoaster even when thy get to vocational school. Your DD sounds very talented so if there is a chance she could make it, you would be sorry if you did't try.

• Like 2

Happymum, don't worry to look like a drama queen........I have done better than you! My DD has her audition next sunday and we are flying to London on friday: in the last two nights I couldn't sleep, being sure that we are both going to die in a plane crash or terrorist attack and that I am going to leave alone my other children.....every morning I wake up thinking "maybe we shouldn't go, maybe it isn't worthwhile...."!!!!!

• Like 4

Happymum, so glad the journey was not as bad as anticipated. I have to say, you can really scare yourself with all the pitfalls of the dancing world. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice for my son, but I would also hate to be that parent that you hear of, that never let their child follow their dream and the child lived a life of regret.

My brother has become estranged from his only daughter, as he disagrees with her dream to follow her career choice of a becoming an artist. I just don't understand him - she is 19, has done a foundation course, now on a degree course at art college in London and is applying for the school of art in Florence as it is one of the best in the world! Just so sad.

• Like 1

Lovely to meet you too Happymum! We're proper Balletco'ers now, meeting up at events! Thank you and good luck to you too Zacharovitti. I'm sure all will be well. Sounds like you feel under pressure to be there for your other children and be an overseas ballet taxi mum too! No wonder your mind's working overtime! I'm sure there must be many dancers in the world travelling by plane at any one time.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind and reassuring words.

It's true that we need to let our children to follow their dreams and choose their own paths.

Sorry to hear about your brother and his daughter Harwel. This is exactly my husbands experience! He loved (and still loves!) art and was/is very talented. He was offered a place at vocational boarding art school at the age of 14 and his mother didn't let him go as she was worried and didn't believe he will cope! Now he is over 40 and even though he is in good terms with his parents he still remembers it and regrets and can't forgive (but now just deep inside) as he was forced to go to a different school which he hated and end up working in a job he had no heart for.

So we promised each other that we will support our children as much as we can!

Zacharovitti, I do understand how stressful it is! And how sometimes you feel guilty doing for one child more then the other at moments! But you are just simply a great caring parent who travels the world in order to support child's dream!

I wish you a safe pleasant journey and all the best luck for your DD!

• Like 4

Thank you all for your support and for your kind words. Yes, I'm sure these are typical dance mum moments!! And yes, I feel guilty every day with my other children, because my DD life is very demanding also for them....I have 4 children, one older than her and two younger: almost every day my DD ballet lessons finish late in the evening and I am with her in the car while they are going to bed, with the elder brother that reads them a story instead of me! :(

• Like 2

In the past, the results usually come out after the preliminary auditions are complete and then in order of audition centre but that was when it was by post, I believe this year it will be by email so maybe slightly different.  Good luck everyone, the waiting is the worst bit!  I'm not looking forward to the result by email, at least with a letter you could relax once the postie had gone whereas by email, I'll be twitching every time by phone pings! :huh:

• Like 1

Oh my we leave tomorrow for our audition! I only realised I had forgotten to get a waist elastic for My DD this week and panicked, her teacher doesn't use them! Luckily her teacher was up in Dublin and nipped into dance shop and got one for her... We know it is a long shot so we are just making a great day of it, audition in morning, shopping and London Eye afterwards!

Good luck to everyone's DC auditioning this year!

• Like 3